Author Topic: Syrian refugees to move into home adapted for disabled  (Read 2979 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Syrian refugees to move into home adapted for disabled
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 04:45:54 PM »
Well, as the council just couldn't find a family suitable for the original purpose of this property, it's good that another family will be able to enjoy a permanent home instead - and also the property will stay within the social housing sector...

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 05:38:39 PM »
I'm glad they've got a home.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SteveX

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
Member of POMMAS

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:46:20 AM »
I'm refusing to click on the link as it's the Express. The headline told me all I needed to know. Good to see an unused property being put in to use.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 10:37:15 PM »
Great news

gus

• Diamond member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
It turns out there were families suitable for the property.Seven families on the housing association waiting list applied for the house.Apparently the families were waiting to see who it would be allocated to when it was suddenly without explanation removed from the list.Why allow people to apply who were obviously suitable then say there were no families suitable?

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »
It turns out there were families suitable for the property.Seven families on the housing association waiting list applied for the house.Apparently the families were waiting to see who it would be allocated to when it was suddenly without explanation removed from the list.Why allow people to apply who were obviously suitable then say there were no families suitable?

Because from what I understand [I am not in the UK] the refugees are more important than local families who really need disability adapted housing.

I am sorry if I offend those before me who have been happy a refugee family have been given that large home, but at the expense of a UK family who need it?

Wrong.
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

huhn

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »
the reason  behind must be that they want that people get upset with refugees .

gus

• Diamond member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
the reason  behind must be that they want that people get upset with refugees .

I think the reason is there was an E-petition asking the council to house Syrian refugees this was at the same time the house was up for bidding.The council received the petition and wanted to be seen as politically correct.The house after some decorating is worth around 750,000 probably more and being 6 beds it is a large house.People are upset that refugees are being placed in front of people who have been on the list for years.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 06:16:29 PM »
I think the reason the Syrian family were given the house as they advertised the property as being

a) adapted for a wheelchair user
and
b) for a family with a 6 bedroom need.

No one came forward fitting both those criteria so they allocated it to the family with the 6 bedroom need which was the Syrian family because no other houses that size exist so no suitable housing for the Syrian family would be found whereas there are other adapted properties that do become available, plus some housing can be adapted at reasonable cost for wheelchair users.

There's no doubt in my mind that the authority made the right decision.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 07:29:03 PM »
The housing list is a false way of accounting and has not been used by councils to house people for a few years now.
House are offered based on priority needs, if you meet the criteria then the council has to apply a points system awarding houses based on the points.  A homeless family will get more points than an overcrowded family.

this is shelters advice for English councils https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/how_councils_allocate_housing

gus

• Diamond member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 07:41:49 PM »
I think the reason the Syrian family were given the house as they advertised the property as being

a) adapted for a wheelchair user
and
b) for a family with a 6 bedroom need.

No one came forward fitting both those criteria so they allocated it to the family with the 6 bedroom need which was the Syrian family because no other houses that size exist so no suitable housing for the Syrian family would be found whereas there are other adapted properties that do become available, plus some housing can be adapted at reasonable cost for wheelchair users.

There's no doubt in my mind that the authority made the right decision.

The property hasn't been allocated to anyone as yet there is no Syrian family one will be picked with or without disabled needs.Families on the housing association list that have been allocated bands had already bid on the property and could not have done so unless they met the criteria for the property.There were seven suitable families and they had all bid on the property so suitable families had already applied.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
Gus - could you provide a link to the source of your information on this? 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
I dont know this but was assuming Gus is a local. It might be hard to quote a source if the info is from Facebook or similar.

I went on a hunt and yes I know this is a Daily Mail link but there is some information worth knowing on it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4309048/Syrian-refugees-500-000-six-bedroom-home.html

It mentions the house has a wheelchair ramp but needs some modernisation and updating, so I am wondering if the disabled people who applied were told that the housing did not meet there needs. For example the was a housing documentary on tv a while ago and a disabled person concerned a house the bid for to be suitable but there was a small step and so the powers that be sad no.

Also the government has said the UK is going to accept 20.000 refugees direct from refugee camps in the middle east so the family that is getting the house could be coming as part of that scheme and not people who have crossed borders into other safe countries already.

The article has a quote of someone saying that the refugees are not coming her for ever and many will return home once it is safe so it could be that the council let them have the house because it is suitable for that family, them living there will mean rent gets paid and then later on there might be money to modernise the house and give it to a family who has a disabled person it it.

Gus,

Thank you for posrtin this story it is important we discuss this sort of stuff  >thumbsup<