Author Topic: we are still in the last century  (Read 518 times)

huhn

we are still in the last century
« on: March 15, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
today in the newspaper in Cyprus

MPs on Wednesday agreed to update terminology in three laws dating back decades, two of which refer to ‘stupid women with reduced mental levels’.

MPs sitting on the House legal committee agreed with three drafts submitted by Disy MP Stella Kyriakidou.

She suggested replacing ‘stupid women with reduced mental levels’ in two laws with the words ‘a woman with mental disability’ and in a third law to replace the words ‘any stupid person’ with the phrase ‘a person with intellectual or mental disabilities’.

The amendments are for the laws for the prevention and treatment of domestic violence and protection of victims, the Criminal Code and the Aliens and Immigration Law where reference is made to ‘any stupid, insane mental patient’.

Kyriakidou said that the terminology was outdated and discriminated against women and the disabled.

The Disy MP noted such terminology was changed in other countries before 1960 but not in Cyprus.

Some more details will be supplied and the proposals will be brought to the plenary of the House for approval.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: we are still in the last century
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
OMG is has taken far too long for that change to happen.

It sounds like what I remember of the 1960s and 1970s when absused women ended up in mental hospitals.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:09:47 AM »
I can't improve on Sunshine's response, with which I agree entirely.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 09:43:52 PM »
Just over forty years ago I did a stint volunteering in a hospital chiefly for people with learning disabilities. However not all there were learning disabled.
Some of the ladies there were institutionalised in the 1930s as they were single parents. One particularly memorable lady because she had lesbian tendencies that she displayed openly (as my friend discovered).

It should have been an outrage that these otherwise generally capable women were not supported but had totally wasted lives. I have never forgotten this and have mentioned it periodically over the years.

For the last twenty six years my next door neighbours have been eight people with learning difficulties (plus support staff) living in a community engaged residential home. Ironically, Thatcher the Snatcher gave these homes the go ahead in the late 80s,  closing hospitals because community care was cheaper than institutionalised care.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker