Author Topic: 'Off sick' when you're already 'on the sick'  (Read 661 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
'Off sick' when you're already 'on the sick'
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
I've got a lurgy.  I'm a woman, so in theory I've got a cold, but in these days of equality, I think I'm entitled to have manflu. It always comes as a surprise to me to get lurgies like this, even though blood tests have shown that apparently I'm immunodeficient, and I do take meds that damp down my immune system, although whether the two facts are connected I haven't asked.

But I do laugh at myself when this happens.  You see, like so many people on the long term sick, it's not a question of being the sort of sick where I'm in bed all day (as you'll have gathered from other things I say), so then the question arises not 'am I well enough to go to work' but 'am I well enough to do those sort of things that I was hoping to be up to doing today'. 

Sudden though - maybe I should introduce the world to a new phrase: 'on the well', for when you're on the sick then aren't sick, or aren't very sick, one day.

(As for 'on the sick' vs 'disabled', that's a jargon fight for another day!)
On balance, I think I can't afford a day off sick from being on the sick. 

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: 'Off sick' when you're already 'on the sick'
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 11:31:09 AM »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »

huhn

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 02:46:11 PM »
this made my day this picture with the dog, I have just my little boy again  in bed with tonsils .

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 05:18:12 PM »
Get well wishes to your son, too, huhn.  >hugs<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:29:18 PM »
Thank you, kind people, for get well wishes, but it's really just a very boring everyday lurgy.  My immune system seems to be rising to the challenge because if you'll forgive references to icky stuff, my snot and phlegm look green/yellow, which tells me they're full  of dead germs.  I picture my immune cells or whatever they are as being like daleks - Exterminate All Viruses, Exterminate, Exterminate!

Whereas children's tonsils are another affair.   On the other hand, with a mother like Huhn, I bet a boy's tonsils get better than otherwise.  Mothers who care make a big difference.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »
You have a fellow sufferer's sympathy, Sunny - I've had a really snotty 'head cold' since last Wednesday and it's surprising how yucky 'just a cold' can make one feel  >angry<  Last Friday was the worst day - if I'd been in a job, I would have called in sick, because I wouldn't have been much use there or anywhere else, come to that  >erm<

Makes a change to have something 'non-mental' to grapple with, any road up ... though I'm getting rather bored with all the frequent nose blowage now  >doh<  I must look like Rudolph the reindeer  >lol<

May we both shake off the lurgy soon  >x-fingers<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 08:12:36 PM »
 >raspberry< to all snot-bearing viruses.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 10:13:09 PM »
I've a sense that this cold is making me tired but I was under a lot of pressure anyway, so it's difficult to tell whether this is really adding to it.  Yesterday I didn't do something I meant to and felt guilty then thought how ridiculous it was to feel guilty about it.  I'm sitting here thinking that an early night wouldn't go amiss.  Ok, time to wind down for bed.  Kizzy - if you'd just take a share of those get well wishes that Huhn's son and I seem to have acquired, especially that dog, there'll be space for me in my  bed.

(I need a sleepy emoticon, don't I?)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 10:12:35 PM »
Get well everyone.  And yes, that picture is wonderful.  Thank you Lankou.