Author Topic: Emergency accomedation  (Read 408 times)

james-1989

• Gold Member
Emergency accomedation
« on: April 29, 2017, 11:14:50 PM »
I need some advice on emergency accommodation. I've been told by Shelter Scotland said that if i needed emergency accommodation the council would arrange for somewhere to go thats as accessible as possible.

i live my parents who are my main carers with my adult sister. we've all decided its over (our relationship with my dad) and he said he's going to find somewhere to live. I don't believe him.

We are already on the council waiting list with gold priority, but I don't think we can wait any longer, because i think things will turn nasty since my mum said its over. He said it wont but I've got reason not to believe him.

I'm worried that the council says theres nowhere accessible.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:40:18 PM by james-1989 »

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Re: Emergency accomedation
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »
Emergency accommodation if you are homeless and are having to sleep outdoors would probably be a hotel bed and breakfast as I don't think many councils will have a disabled access property just waiting for you. Even the 1 bed flats have 2 or 3 steps access in my area, they would probably suggest carers come in to help you though rather then a property big enough for your carers as well in the short term.  You need to phone the emergency number but it'll be someone calling you back when you leave a message, also it's a holiday weekend so less staff on call, sorry not much help

james-1989

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 11:31:43 PM »
they did say it probably wont be the appropriate size or fully accessible b&b, would at least have to find somewhere where im able to get into the door?

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
James,

Do your parents own or rent the home you all live in at the moment?  If it is rented from a housing association it could be that they wil help your family get the best outcome for you all. People can turn nasty when a relationship breaks up so it is important that once the break up is definite that practical things are done eg sorting out what happens to the joint bank account and joint debts. I dont know what your  parents would think of it but it might be worth them making an appointment at RELATE https://www.relate.org.uk/find-your-nearest-relate?gclid=COilzIDjy9MCFasp0wodJnIPHg to see if the situation can be calmed down, not to keep the family together so much as help it move on.
 >bighugs<

Also if things get bad and you have to leave at short notice get somewhere safe, if you have money a motel of the motorway will be accessible. Next would be getting the police involved and changing the locks. I know it can be difficult sometimes impossible  to create a situation where a family is safe after a marriage break up if the family want to stay in their home but it does not sound safe as it is, >bighugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
James, I don't have any advice to offer, but wanted to send you some hugs. I hope that you and your family can get the help you need to stay safe, and feel safe (which is just as important).  >bighugs< >bighugs<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
James - if push comes to shove and the council lets you down and home gets nasty, if you'll forgive my being a bit non-standard in my thinking, you'd probably be even more stressed than you are now, so you could turn up in your local A&E as a psychiatric emergency, and they'd be stuck with you.  If you're not mobile and the hospital tries to discharge you, you'll end up sitting outside (or falling over outside).  That gets embarassing and you may find yourself in a bed, especially if you get hurt falling over so they have to check you out.  They then won't be able to discharge you until they've found you somewhere suitable.  Indeed, they won't be able to discharge you until they've finished fighting over whose responsibility you are, unless you choose to discharge yourself.

Consider going to your MP;  consider whether there's any community group that might help; and consider networking, by which I mean asking people you know to ask people they know etc. to find someone who might know of somewhere suitable.

Whatever you do, have some hugs from me too.

>bighugs<

james-1989

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:59:59 PM »
Thanks Sunny Clouds thats a good point you make. I'm under liaison psychiatry and respiratory team who know about my situation, and they how easily I could seriously ill with my physical condition alone.

Sunshine Meadows - that's the problem they both own the house. I think it's past any resolution, since my dad said that we'll no longer be his family. I'm just hoping that he keeps his word and finds somewhere quick - although it seems unlikely because remarks he's been muttering towards me all day.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 09:56:05 PM »
Good luck.  A very difficult situation.  >hugs<