Author Topic: A wee heads-up, Disability related.  (Read 650 times)

JLR2

A wee heads-up, Disability related.
« on: May 02, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »
Victoria Derbyshire this morning from 9am is going to be discussing folk losing their motability car(s) including, from the clip I saw on Breakfast tv a guy who is angry that the is being forced to go through the courts to do all that he can not to be deprived of his car.

lankou

• Charter Member

JLR2

Re: A wee heads-up, Disability related.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 08:50:10 AM »
Thanks Lankou.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 09:47:07 AM »
Thank you both!

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
Sorry but the program was an utter waste of time.  My email to the program read as follows-

''Victoria,

Just what do you call that as a program?   Iím talking about this much announced item about folk facing courts to claim their disability rights, you appeared on the Breakfast program to tell viewers of this item coming up at 9am today and then the program spent 15 minutes repeating earlier news stories that had already been repeated all morning from 6am.

What was shown in the few minutes given to the story was about as much as the clips shown on BBC Breakfast and now having reached 9.30am we are back onto the BBCís looped news system repeating the news weíve been seeing pretty much since last nightís news.

I guess the BBC feels it has done its duty it has made its token effort to mention what is happening to disabled benefit claimants and thatís it all done the BBC has done its bit, it will keep its licence fee free of threat from the government of having the licence fee scrapped just so long as it, the BBC, does not ever stray into criticism of the government in office.

If I might ask Victoria, why no mention of the aim of the DWP to see a 20 cut in the welfare budget?  That is what this is all about and well the government and the BBC know it.  Oh and just a thought Victoria might it just be the case that, just as the government are claiming, they are spending more on disability benefits?  Aye they would be spending more if they are both funding the profits of private assessment companies and the costs (increasing costs)  of court cases involving disabled benefit claimants having to fight their own government to secure that to which they are entitled to due to their disabilities.

Lastly Victoria could you just take a minute to tell viewers your program has done its bit and there will be no more mention of this disabled court fight to secure their entitlement to  benefits on the program today?  The BBC has done it bit hasnít it.''

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »
I doubt your letter will have a significant impact on what they broadcast, but I hope it makes at least one person at the BBC go home feeling a bit guilty, and you never know, they might even push their luck a bit as to what the BBC will let them get away with broadcasting next time.

My cynical view of the BBC is this - it was fairly trustworthy (though not as much as we probably thought it was) in the days when governments thought that a well-funded, fairly (but not entirely) impartial broadcaster was a good thing to have, but once they started squeezing BBC budgets, it's been about keep the government happy; and now that elections are here, senior BBC executives will be in quite a state wondering which line to take so as not to offend too much whoever wins.  On the whole, though, given that there hasn't been much political opposition to cuts to financial and practical support for sick and disabled people, their best chance of survival as a corportation is to keep their disability coverage minimal.

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
Hi Sunny, I had an email from the program telling me of the later discussion they'd be having with the Tory MP and having listened to that discussion I sent a further email to Victoria apologising for the tone of an earlier email. The bit of the later chat that had me react as I did was when Victoria was asking the MP 'Which degenerative disease gets better' as he had suggested some folk with degenerative diseases see improvements and the MP tried to avoid answering her question. Victoria was quite determined in asking the question and repeated it a few times to the embarrassment of the MP who as you would expect still looked to avoid answering it. All credit to Victoria she was harder on the Tory MP than Andrew Neil or Andrew Marr have ever been on any 'sitting government MP'.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »
Brilliant!

I'm glad you're out there pushing on these things, and that Victoria took up the twisted message about improving degenerative conditions.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 12:12:24 PM »
Iplayer link:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08p1ps1/victoria-derbyshire-02052017

From one hour ten minutes in. (Tory MP.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:22:44 PM »
I've just finished watching the bit with the MP and a bit after, before finding your link.  I hope others will spend a few minutes watching the MP squirm.  Sadly, I don't think it will make a lot of difference, but you never know.  Anything's better than nothing.

JLR2

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
''Sadly, I don't think it will make a lot of difference, but you never know.''

I'd love to think some disabled would be constituent of that wannabe MP puts the same question at their local hustings, it's one that I'll be looking for an answer to from whichever punter puts his/her name on any ballot paper where I have a vote.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 03:09:33 PM »
I hope others will spend a few minutes watching the MP squirm.

That part was very satisfying. The fact that there were two other experienced, articulate people contributing to the discussion was also welcome.

Thank you again to both JLR and L'Ankou.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »
If it weren't for JLR and L'Ankou posting a lot of what they do, I'd be far less up to speed with disability news and politics, so thanks from me too.