Author Topic: Mindfulness  (Read 495 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Mindfulness
« on: May 02, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
NN - bless you, now I don't have to feel guilty for not enrolling in that yoga class everyone says would relax me.

But you left mindfulness off your list.  Apparently mindfulness is the answer to everything. 

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
I swiped the list from a chronic illness-related meme that was doing the rounds on Twitter. Perhaps we should contact the author of the original and suggest that mindfulness be included!

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »
It was a list well worth borrowing.  I mention mindfulness only because I'm rather twitchy about it.  Certain non-Oucher people I know are coming close to being told to be 'mindful' of what they say to me about the virtues of mindfulness.  >steam<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »
It's always a question of context. When mindfulness was presented to me by a clinical psychologist as one of a range of possible pain management techniques, it wasn't annoying at all. When some random prat in a supermarket ties to tell me that it's a cure for everything from the common cold to leprosy, it's suddenly very annoying indeed.

I'm reminded of all the hype surrounding fish oil capsules in the 2000s. Every day, I'd end up having conversations like this -

Prat: You should stop taking your medication and take fish oil capsules instead.

Me: Well, my consultant psychiatrist has advised me not to stop my medication.   Also I'm vegetarian, so fish oil is really not for me. 

Prat: You just don't want to get better!!

Me:  >runforthehills<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 10:48:33 AM »
Before I apply the off-topic stamp of shame to the pair of yous  ;-) I figured this subject ought to have its own thread, so that's what it's got!  (split from the 'Vitamin B' thread)

Mindfulness just goes over my head, I'm afraid.  Ditto anything to do with concentrating on only one's breathing - I can find a lot more interesting things to occupy my present time, ta muchly...

The therapist I was seeing earlier in the year had a better alternative to mindfulness for me and that was visualisation - creating a 'safe space' in my mind that I could go to when triggered.  For me it was a beach at a holiday resort where I spent most of my childhood (and was happy before the head problems started, hence the positive association link to the visualisation).  I guess, 'different horses for different courses' and all that!

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
Mindfulness that involves sitting quietly and being still sounds awful to me but mindfulness and say colouring in a picture sounds okay especially if I am in the garden on a sunny day or the tv is on in the background.

Years ago when my sister moved into her first house I was helping paint the skirting boards. I was there alone for several hours over about three days without the radio on and by day three I was starting to hear voices and have weird thoughts. It was sending me wapping so next time I went I took a radio and blared out noise into every corner of the room.

People who can be quiet, alone and not move amaze me.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:10:05 PM »
I have done a little bit of meditation.  It is very hard to control one's thoughts and just be blank.  It gets easier with practise.  I am not sure what mindfulness is and how different it is from meditation.