Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 429 times)

JLR2

Any ideas?
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:20:20 AM »
As I post this posting I am looking to arrange an appointment with my GP, well come 9am I will, I am experiencing problems with my hands particularly my left hand (I'm left handed)  I'm having problems gripping things even my coffee pot is hard to lift. I find it painful to straighten my fingers and have a feeling like the middle of my palm is resting on something, sort of like if you were sitting with the palm of your hand resting on the head of your gear change lever in the car, and if I try to close my hand the pain gets too much.

I've no idea what's causing this but given I am even having trouble doing up buttons of hooking my belt buckle, a large brass buckle that hooks on the belt so I'm somewhat worried this morning. The problem sort of made an appearance of sorts some time back but then it only saw me giving my hand a shake to relieve it.  I would be driving and looking to turn my car's steering wheel, usually this was only involving my left hand, and find a pain shot through the hand and like I was saying after the quick shake my hand felt ok. Over the last couple of days though I can't avoid being aware of the pain and last night was the worst it has been.

Any ideas folks?

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:17 AM »
Get to a doctor as a matter of urgency.

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:35:37 AM »
Thanks Lankou, I will  >run<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 08:41:53 AM »
I agree with Lankou >bighugs<

If it is a blood circulation or neurological issue speed is of the essence.

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
I tried my dr's number but it was only the answering machine so I guess it'll be 9 am before there is someone there. I call them again at 9, it's ridiculous I'm having to think twice picking up my mug of coffee, flippin' annoying >steam<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »
Is there a Walk In centre, A and E or Small Injuries unit near you if so go there.

Also if you want more information maybe try http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx
When I burnt my arm last year I rang them and they sent me to the local small injuries unit who saw me almost immediately.

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »
Phoned the surgery and have an appointment for 9.40 this morning, by eck am I glad I don't live in the city these days :-)

JLR2

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »
That's me back from my DR's he feels it may be something called carpal tunnel and prescribed an ointment, Voltarol, for me to use three times a day, he is also arranging some physiotherapy. All being well that'll sort things out :-)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 11:02:32 AM »
Carpal tunnel syndrome can be bloody nasty, JLR. I hope the anti-inflammatory gel helps.  >hugs<

In addition to that, there are loads of good splints and wrist supports out there. These are the ones I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Actesso-Advanced-Support-Carpal-Tunnel/dp/B007M291FY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1494410175&sr=8-4&keywords=wrist+supports

The metal stays in them are a bit uncomfortable. They can be easily removed, and the supports work just as well without them.  I wear the supports overnight to keep my wrists straight, and it helps a lot.

If you use crutches at all, ergonomic grips are useful. They spread the weight bearing down on your hands more evenly than round or regtangular grips.

I hope the pain is under control soon.  >hugs<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »
I'm glad you got it checked out fast, and I'm glad it's not a sign of something totally dire, but be kind to yourself because as has already been mentioned, it can be horribly painful.  I do hope you can use it sufficiently to pick up and cuddle these hugs you're getting from us.  I suppose it's too much to hope that it's up to grasping something nice to eat or drink?

>bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
 >bighugs< >apple< >chocolate<

SteveX

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
>bighugs<>bighugs<
Member of POMMAS

JLR2

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 07:53:38 AM »
Thanks everyone, the Volterol feels like it is helping hopefully it will not be too long before I get a shout from my local physiotherapy department, it's only  mile away. I was looking at various splints on Amazon but between the numbers of different styles and the wee wurry I have about how I could use my elbow crutch whilst wearing a splint has me thinking of waiting till I see the physio and maybe asking their advice on what would best suit a numpty like me >biggrin<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
Good to know you're getting looked after by the right people, as it were - take care of those hands and I do hope you've mastered the lifting of the coffee pot/cup!   (Very important the caffeine fix is  ;-))

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »
I was looking at various splints on Amazon but between the numbers of different styles and the wee wurry I have about how I could use my elbow crutch whilst wearing a splint has me thinking of waiting till I see the physio and maybe asking their advice on what would best suit a numpty like me >biggrin<

Sound strategy, JLR. Hopefully you won't have long to wait for the physio.  >x-fingers<