Author Topic: Labour Disability Manifesto  (Read 799 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Labour Disability Manifesto
« on: June 03, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:41:03 AM by lankou »

SteveX

Re: Labour Disability Manifesto
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 07:28:01 PM »
oh dear gods if there's ANY justice in the world, let them win next week.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
Member of POMMAS

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 12:09:41 AM »
''Labour will scrap the Work Capability and Personal Independence Payment assessments and replace them with a personalised, holistic assessment process which provides each individual with a tailored plan, building on their strengths and addressing barriers, whether finance, skills, health, care, transport, or housing related.''

Read that bit carefully, in effect it could mean more or less the same as the Tories are saying. Labour, lest we forget, had a would be minister in a future Labour government telling the media how they would be tougher than the Tories on benefit claimants and Labour when last in government weren't in any great hurry to treat disabled benefit claimants with either respect or fairness pretty much they were as keen as the Tories to move those claiming disability benefits onto JSA in order to save money.

A simple question to ask any would be Labour MP, or any other Party's MP for that matter, would they commit to reversing the cut to the 50mtr qualifying distance for those claiming mobility benefit?  Sadly I have the feeling you will not get an answer, honest or otherwise.

Oh I meant to say in my posting with regards to this part of the Labour manifesto, ''a personalised, holistic assessment process which provides each individual with a tailored plan, building on their strengths''  does that not sound like the same thing as what WRAG was supposed to be about?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:13:33 AM by JLR2 »

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
Labour supports a social model of disability. People may have a condition or
an impairment but are disabled by society. We need to remove the barriers
in society that restrict opportunities and choices for disabled people.

hmmm it seems to me the greatest threat to my freedom is a loss of welfare benefits after all it does not matter to me if I can access a shop by a ramp if I have no money to spend in the shop.

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »
'We need to remove the barriers
in society that restrict opportunities...''

Or to put it another way, There are no longer any barriers stopping disabled benefit claimants being moved to JSA.

''...and choices for disabled people''

Translated...there will be no choice for disabled claimants, they either accept they are no longer deemed as being entitled to claim disability benefits and settle for JSA or they starve.

SteveX

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 08:10:28 PM »
'We need to remove the barriers
in society that restrict opportunities...''

Or to put it another way, There are no longer any barriers stopping disabled benefit claimants being moved to JSA.

''...and choices for disabled people''

Translated...there will be no choice for disabled claimants, they either accept they are no longer deemed as being entitled to claim disability benefits and settle for JSA or they starve.

Well lets be honest there's only 2 real choices as no other party will get power, and looking at what the Tories plan for us and what Labour plan for us, Labour get my vote   ...

> edit to remove a reference which caused offence to, and was reported by, another user - KK
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:31:15 PM by KizzyKazaer »
Member of POMMAS

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »
But wasn't it a Labour government that brought in the wretched 'two-tier' ESA system in the first place?

It does worry me though, the constant Tory mantra that work is the answer to everything.  It isn't if you genuinely cannot work  >angry<

JLR2

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 10:06:15 PM »
''It isn't if you genuinely cannot work  >angry<''

It seems to me that the government are doing all they can to bring about a situation whereby the only acceptable certificate of proof certifying an inability to work with be the presentation to your nearest JC+ of your death certificate and that will require at least two sources of authenticity.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »
It just occurred to me that everyone who posted on this thread is getting ESA as are most people who post on Ouch Too. I think the system put in by Labour then modified and made worse by the Con Dems then the Cons alone has damaged people's lives. However we need to take in account quite a lot of the scary stuff written back in 2012 has not happened but we are still living with the fear our benefits are going to be taken away.

I am not saying we should not vent or talk about the fear and loathing we have for what has happened especially to other people it is more like we need to try to be balanced.

>bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs<

JLR2

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 08:23:06 AM »
Trying to be balanced would be fine were it not for governments doing just about everything they can think of to make folk on disability welfare benefits more and more mentally unbalanced.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 08:36:10 AM »
I agree that the mental instability feels starts with governments making cuts in welfare and portraying sick and disabled people in a particular way. One thing I really like about Ouch Too is people do post the good news when benefit claims are successful and it gives us hope.

I have been thinking about how I would love to be able to work again and how the Labour Manifesto should be giving me hope. However I just cant see the powers that be spending enough money into a system of support that would enable me to work a few hours when I can. Back in my call centre days I had Access to Work funding that amount to more than I was earning. The theory was that the funding meant more money was spent locally and that helped the economy. I do hope Labour win and they are able to make tax changes needed in our economy and thereby have more money for state services eg NHS, Social Services and welfare benefits.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »
I do hope Labour win and they are able to make tax changes needed in our economy and thereby have more money for state services eg NHS, Social Services and welfare benefits.

Agreed. I think what's being offered here is very different from the 2015 disability manifesto. New Labour can never be forgiven for introducing the WCA, and continuing Peter Lilley's demonisation of us as scroungers, but this time round there looks to be enough of a difference between Labour and the Tories to make supporting Labour worthwhile.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 06:19:19 PM »
this time round there looks to be enough of a difference between Labour and the Tories to make supporting Labour worthwhile.

Good point  >biggrin<