Author Topic: Politicians & proving you meet a standard  (Read 863 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Politicians & proving you meet a standard
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »
Conversation in 2010, just after the election, between me and a long-standing friend.  Contextually, there have been references to something like Sunny's health and not working...

Sunny "I've never told anyone outside disability circles, but I'm frightened"
Very long pause.
Elderly, German, Jewish, retired professional "You should be."

My plan had been, when the APs were dead and gone, to do a runner abroad.  I hadn't taken into account Brexit, nor the fact that whilst my inheritance means that if we don't have economic collapse before I go, I shan't be poor, most countries I might consider put very high financial (income and/or capital) barriers up against non-refugees, and whilst the UK's friends with the US etc.,  it would be a rare country that would suggest that someone from the UK was a refugee.

Incidentally, I wouldn't be put off by learning a new language, but I consider it unlikely I could competently master a pitch-tone language like Chinese at my age (not that I'd want to head for China, I'm just illustrating the type of language).

I've probably mentioned here before my theory of the 'rotating scapegoats'.  You see, I believe it's perfectly normal, and if carefully done, healthy, to define the group you belong to in terms of who doesn't belong to it and to be a bit huffy about those that don't follow the rules.  Further, social norms tend to be far more effective than criminal justice systems when it comes to getting most people to toe the line.

So if the person running your place of worship or community centre or whatever gets a bit huffy about people who turn up looking scruffy, and you all get a bit tut-tutty towards them for a while, but then look approving when they conform, usually no damage is done, especially if, when you find that some look scruffy because they can't afford new clothes, you have a whip round for some new ones or you all rummage around for your old clothes in search of something decent. 

So long as you're not seriously nasty, this process promotes cohesion.  We're very good at understanding in our society that if you take the scapegoating too far, things go wrong, although we're often content to let those in power pull the wool over our eyes as to how far wrong it's gone; but we're not so good at recognising that when the same sorts of people are scapegoated over and over, it's a sign that something's going wrong.

I believe the reason we have a welfare state is the government's fear of revolution after the last two wars if the trained and experienced veterans felt they hadn't got what they fought for.  In other words, the fear of losing it all.  I don't mean that they have to be afraid of dying, because that may not even be on their radar.  It's the fear of losing those things they are obsessive-compulsive hoarders of - money and/or power.

Therefore I believe our best hope of surviving this is if we at some point have a situation where some economist convinces the key politicians and, more to the point, the key news magnates, that if they push people too far to destitution, they, the people in  power, will lose everything.

But that will only work if the non-disabled people rally round.  Some sort of 'it could be you' message needs to get out.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)