Author Topic: PIP All 1.6 million claims to be reviewed  (Read 2060 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: PIP All 1.6 million claims to be reviewed
« Reply #30 on: 01 Feb 2018 10:42PM »
Gone on a bit?  Pah!  You're an amateur!  I can out-go-on-a-bit almost anyone, especially when I'm stressed out. 

The Chas & Dave song was made for me:

You won't stop talking, why don't you give it a rest
You got more rabbit than Sainsbury's, it's time you got it off ya chest
Now you was just the type of girl to break my heart in two
I knew right off when I first clapped my eyes on you
But how was I to know you'd bend my earholes too with your incessant talking
You're becoming a pest

Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

« Reply #31 on: 02 Feb 2018 07:24AM »
''It's like a trial''

I can't mind where it was I heard the expression that people should be tried by their peers, if that's the case is it not about time more disabled people were involved in the decision making on disabled benefit claims?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #32 on: 02 Feb 2018 10:36AM »
Yes!
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #33 on: 02 Feb 2018 10:54AM »
It's mad!

I've an appointment with an adviser today that I wasn't sure I really needed after advice here yesterday evening, but I thought 'too late to cancel' and then got a letter through the door marked mandatory reconsideration notice.  Duh.  They'd already done one.  Anyway, they've now changed their minds.  I think someone must have noticed they'd messed up by reconsidering before they got the written request (they got it in the morning and did the reconsideration that day).

Anyway, I've now got enhanced care but no mobility.  I could appeal the mobility or see the state of play on the government reviews anyway.  But I've time.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: 02 Feb 2018 11:14AM »
''It's like a trial''

I can't mind where it was I heard the expression that people should be tried by their peers, if that's the case is it not about time more disabled people were involved in the decision making on disabled benefit claims?

Can't disagree with that  >thumbsup<  Fancy suggesting it to a Government minister??

Sunny, well done on getting the enhanced care, which you should have been awarded in the first place - so pleased for you  >magic<  And ta for the Chas and Dave lyrics - they always made songs to bring a smile  >biggrin<

Regarding the mobility - hmmm, I'd be wary of poking that particular hornet's nest with a stick, in case they reconsider the whole damn thing.  If as promised all mobility claims are going to be looked at again anyway, you could just wait and see...

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #35 on: 02 Feb 2018 11:23AM »
Yes, you're right, I'd do well to leave the mobility bit alone.  They awarded the points they could at the time when they first made the decision.  The revised decision was made on 24 January, before the government's announcement, so it's in line with the controversial mobility rules. 

I feel so tired.  This has all triggered so much.  I now wonder how many people having their decisions reviewed will go into meltdown over it. 

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: 02 Feb 2018 11:30AM »
  I now wonder how many people having their decisions reviewed will go into meltdown over it.

It is now obvious people did not read this I posted earlier in the thread:-

Some clarification from the Disability News Service:-

More at link:-

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/dwp-promises-no-one-will-lose-out-in-huge-review-of-1-6-million-pip-cases/

DWP promises no-one will lose out in huge review of 1.6 million PIP cases

By John Pring  on  February 1, 2018

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has promised that no disabled people will have their benefits reduced because of its decision to review 1.6 million personal independence payment (PIP) claims.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #37 on: 02 Feb 2018 11:55AM »
I read it.  That doesn't mean that others being reviewed will have read it somewhere. 

My decision today was just whether to pursue the appeal I was making in the light of the fresh review.  I.e. I'd have asked the tribunal to review the mobility in the light of the changes just because they were also reviewing the care.  However, I venture to suggest that having less than an hour between the unexpected letter dropping on my mat and the taxi due to arrive to go to the disability centre for someone to check over my application form and coming here and having a quick exchange whilst I made a decision isn't much time for someone with a severe and mental illness in the midst of a serious crisis to set out a reasoned summary of the situation.

But please, l'Ankou, remember that amongst those 1.6 million are lots of people who go into meltdown anyway.  In all seriousness, it's the ones that do that are most likely to get the mobility component that for a while has been denied and is now being restored.  It's the ones that for reasons of emotional/psychological (forget which word they use) cannot go to unfamiliar places or whatever that are likely to have a change in their mobility component.  What proportion of those do you assume will fully take on board (or believe) the government when they say none of them will have their PIP reduced?

I know I sound angry.  I feel as if I've been told off.  If I'm in this much distress when I've just received a reconsideration in my favour, how much distress do you think others might be in?

And I could tell you of other things in my life as a sort of 'excuse' for my strong reaction, but it's not unique.  There will inevitably be others like me with people close to them dying or in crisis.  People like me with other problems.  And it's those that go into meltdown that this is all about.

I'm sitting here sobbing.  I'm not washed or dressed.  I abandoned my breakfast half way through.  Even just the notice telling me I needed enhanced care was like a hard punch to the abdomen because every single reminder of how wretchedly dysfunctional I am hurts.  I had to brace myself to check what the extra points were for - for hearing aids or for needing social support to engage. 

[deleted details of other things happening in my life]

I have virtually no friends left.  I sit alone day after day after day.  I'm barely holding on.  No, I'm not threatening another suicide attempt like the one when I got my initial PIP decision.  But I feel I want to scream "I'm in meltdown, and it's people like me that can barely cope with reading a letter telling us our benefits have been increased that are a significant proportion of those that should have been given this element and will get a letter telling them it's been reviewed."

So please, be kinder, l'Ankou, because actually I do read what you post.  It's one of the reasons I come here to Ouch.   
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2018 12:16PM by Sunny Clouds »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: 02 Feb 2018 02:20PM »
Sunny, I'm on my own too and get intensely lonely. My anxiety prevents me from talking on the phone but if you'd like someone to text to and receive texts back each day do send me a pm and we can share our mobile numbers. Only if you want to though, no pressure at all   >bighugs<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #39 on: 02 Feb 2018 02:59PM »
I don't text.

Well, I did manage to send two texts, very slowly, last year.

Maybe we could swap pms or something, although that may not fit with what you do.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #40 on: 02 Feb 2018 05:05PM »
..just the notice telling me I needed enhanced care was like a hard punch to the abdomen because every single reminder of how wretchedly dysfunctional I am hurts. 

Yes, that's the flip side of the good news (remembering opening the DLA higher-rate care award letter) 

But it does 'settle in', just give yourself time, OK?

As for anyone being kinder, that's what we prefer here on OuchToo if someone's been posting in distress, and that's what we normally get.  I'd like to keep it that way.

Regarding sharing phone numbers, e-mails etc:  Fiz and Sunny, I have no concerns about you two in particular, but as a general note, anybody considering this please exercise sensible caution before taking an online friendship to the next level.  I'm probably telling Granny how to suck eggs  ;-)  but that was how I became entangled with the emotional abuser referred to on previous page (no, it wasn't a 'romantic' relationship, it was someone who openly won my trust first and then proceeded to set themselves up to act as my all-knowing counsellor  >doh<)  Just being over-protective of you all, I suppose!

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #41 on: 02 Feb 2018 07:44PM »
''It's like a trial''

JLR2   - a PIP/DLA/AA appeal is made up of 3 people  - The chairperson who makes sure the law is applied so is legally qualified
 The Doctor to give view on the medical issues  AND
 The Lay member - an adult with disabilities and their role is to ask questions on how your own problems impact on daily life,  the medical member I dread most is the blind gentleman and that's only because I never have time to send my paperwork in 7 days before and therefore its not in braille,  If this gentleman is on the panel I have to read my submission to the panel rather than provide a written copy.
So there is disabled representation on DLA PIP AA appeals.
I am not saying they are sympathetic but they are there.

Sunny Clouds - I'm pleased that they have overturned the decision and you don't now have the trial of an appeal hearing because they are stressful.

On the original topic that the government are going to review all 1.6m decisions made since the illegal change in legislation, I was at a welfare rights officers(WROs) meeting today and there is wariness on the part of  WROs as there is no assurance from DWP that they will not use the excuse to review mobility as a reason to review the care part.   Our discussion was around this
Do we leave DWP to do the review?
Will they review daily living awards?
Will the claimant have a right to dispute any new decision if DWP doesn't give the award we think they person should have?
Will the additional work delay the processing time for new PIP claims?  probably as there are no new staff being taken on
How will this additional work affect the DLA to PIP transfer?

So although its good news if you have "overwhelming psychological distress" affecting your mobility needs there is more to this than the government admitting it broke the law.

>dove<
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2018 07:55PM by Monic1511 »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #42 on: 02 Feb 2018 10:28PM »
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has promised that no disabled people will have their benefits reduced because of its decision to review 1.6 million personal independence payment (PIP) claims.

Sarah Newton, the minister for disabled people, announced this week that, following McVey’s decision not to appeal the court ruling, DWP would review every one of the 1.6 million PIP claims that have been made since the benefit was introduced in 2013 to see how many had been wrongly assessed and were now entitled to backdated PIP payments.

The review will include all those previously found ineligible for the benefit after being assessed by DWP and its contractors, Atos and Capita.

Newton said the following day – in response to an urgent question from shadow disability minister Marsha de Cordova – that no-one would see their benefits reduced as a result of the review.

Disability News Service

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/dwp-promises-no-one-will-lose-out-in-huge-review-of-1-6-million-pip-cases/

JLR2

« Reply #43 on: 03 Feb 2018 01:36AM »
''The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has promised that no disabled people will have their benefits reduced because of its decision to review 1.6 million personal independence payment (PIP) claims''

First thing that caught my notice was the word, 'promised'  a promise from the DWP?  a bit like believing Santa's promises...as a child might do. The second thing was where the DWP talks of no one having their benefits, 'reduced'  aye well they might not be reduced but how many will see them increased. In effect the DWP could increase perhaps 1% of claimants reviewed and that would be it before going on every news channel proclaiming to the world and its brother they have not cut anyone's benefits. Maybe what the DWP might be planning is a rapid roll out of reassessments of those given higher rates of benefits with the intention of quickly recouping any extra expenditure from the DWP's budget.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #44 on: 03 Feb 2018 10:08AM »
First thing that caught my notice was the word, 'promised'  a promise from the DWP?  a bit like believing Santa's promises...as a child might do.

You've made me think there.  Not just Santa's promises but a pocket-dipper's spiel.  The front man sees you look a bit lost or upset and appraoches ostensibly to help.  While they're keeping you occupied, someone dips your purse.  There are a couple of others so that if you think you feel or see something, they can also distract you and jostle you so the one you spotted or thought you did gets away.  A good team can keep it going long enough to get several items off you. 

The last couple of governments have worked really well at that, one grabbing the ILF money whilst another takes much of the AtW and yet another cuts the ESA and someone else cuts the healthcare.  But it's ok, the front man is being kind and helpful and reassuring.

Please let me keep my image.  Seeing Esther McVey's face when I think of Santa is disturbing.   >yikes<