Author Topic: I've been at it again  (Read 294 times)

JLR2

I've been at it again
« on: January 30, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
Yup I've been at it again >biggrin<  I've designed a device to help my friend in Berlin with her father's problem of getting up off the settee or chair he uses at home. My problem now is how to get it over to Berlin. Using some bits and pieces I had lying about the house, in the loft some of them, and part of an automatic door closer device.

Automatic door closing devices have two arms, one attaches above the door on the door framing the other part to the door. I took the arm that connects to the door off and fitted a piece of chrome piping roughly the height of a walking stick with an old walking stick handle pushed into it. The base where the door device part is fitted to is a little platform of sorts I made out of some plywood onto which the door closer body is screwed using the fittings provided. This sees the arm of the device sitting vertically at right angles to the floor and with the piping attached allows the users to push the handle away from themselves before pulling it back as they make to stand up.

The design of the door closer device sees it pull the handle back to the upright position and in doing so helps the user get up onto their feet, it also helps when sitting down as it helps slow down the rate at which a user lowers themselves onto their seat. I took my device down to the steel fabrication yard I use in Invergordon and the owner, now getting to be quite a friend, helped me by making a steel handle, to replace the wooden walking stick I had used, so the handle now sits at a right angle to the walking stick height piping, including all the cutting of steel pipes and welding of caps. He did a great job and considering his fabrication yard was really busy with work his taking the time to help me out with my idea was really good of him.

It was because my friend's Dad has only one good arm and can only use one hand that I thought I'd try to think of something to help.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: I've been at it again
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:01:36 AM »
Methinks you ought to be pitching ideas to BBC's 'Dragons' Den"...

JLR2

Re: I've been at it again
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »
I'll wait to see if my friend's Dad finds it helpful before I start dreaming >lol<