Author Topic: Talking Microwave oven  (Read 319 times)

Prabhakari

Talking Microwave oven
« on: January 31, 2018, 04:30:01 AM »
Friend set it up for me on Monday. I have not been well enough to use it yet, but it does look very good. No displays to read; just buttons that can be wiped clean.
At the moment a clear, male voice tells me when I open the door and when I close it. The instructions come in large print, and there is a D.V.D. to listen to Another disc has got recipes.

I have always sought solutiions to problems as they arise, and this is the latest; my eyes are getting worse. Once I find out how to use the new oven there are three presets to use, that I will set for different needs. It does look good.

I even had the company who makes them, telephone me to ask when they could deliver it. That was a new experience.  It got good reviews online.
I can write about it when I know more.
The maker is Cobalt. They seem to make a range of goods for the disabled.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Talking Microwave oven
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:43:25 AM »
Wow I had no idea such items existed. That sounds fantastic. I hope you find it really useful prab. I really admire engineers who have a passion for designing and creating items and gadgets to help people with disabilities. 

SteveX

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »
That sounds great!
Member of POMMAS

Prabhakari

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »
Speech synthesis has come a long way since Stephin Hawkins first used one. He is forced to keep his original voice because it is 'his' voice, and people identify it with him.
The Americans have a female voice for their F-16 Falcons. It is a female voice that warns of danger. The pilots call her, if this is not too rude, Bitchin' Betty.

My first voice came with the Amiga, and was extremely easy to use, unlike the voice for Win. 10. If I wanted to listen to text it was easy. I have not used Microsoft's version as it has to be turned on, as far as I can tell, all the time.

Prabhakari

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 07:18:06 AM »
I used the new microwave oven during the night, for the first time. I have not been well enough before now.
It is simple to use, as the voice tells me exactly what the buttons do. Instead of having precise heat settings they are graded from defrost, low and on to very high. High is the default setting. One choose the heat level, then the time for it to run, followed by Start. I just reheated some coffee that had gone cold.

It was easy to do. Also it has a loud triple bleep when it is done. I think that anyone without sight could soon get used to it. Now I know how simple it is, I shall begin to make use of it.
No regrets about it. I am happy to have a solution to losing sight.

Being peaceful, Prabhakari.   >wheelchair<

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »
 >bighugs<
That's really good to know and if I meet someone who I think could use one I will suggest it to them.

take care
Monic

Prabhakari

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »
Cobolt have got a very wide range of products for the partly-sighted and the blind. There is even a colour recogniser that speaks the colour.
I have been struggling for a while now, with my eyesight. I am glad to know that there are such good products to help.
I got a colour catalogue with the microwave, but the print is too small. So I just got their online site to save others from needing to seek for them:

https://www.cobolt.co.uk/

They seem to be a very good place to go. It is my first experience of this, so I do not know about others solutions.

Being peace, Prabhakari.  >wheelchair<