Author Topic: Esther McVey is an advisor for The Samaritans  (Read 1016 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Esther McVey is an advisor for The Samaritans
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 05:53:48 PM »
Dare I suggest, however, that by the early 80's it was no longer a mainstream product.  I.e. had become more  mindless.  How many people in the 80's were using cheap, everyday basketware?  At some point, therapy stopped being therapeutic, and became more workhouse-like or meaningless, a return to the less-attractive aspects of the Victorian asylums.  (Some were actually genuinely places of asylum, just not all, or, I think, many.)

I'm not trying to argue that basket weaving is wonderful.  I'm just saying that it expressed a concept that there's something in between being a fully-functional full-time worker and not functioning at all.

It's like some sort of voluntary work or unpaid work or whatever was considered positive for the likes of us for years but now it's a bureaucratic nightmare.  You do something to either help you recover or at least help you from not going under completely and you risk someone saying that that means you have recovered or might have recovered.  You might say I sound paranoid, but I've reached the point of saying no, I'm not, the benefits system is now predicated on the notion that it is common to be cheating and on a determination to catch out all these supposed cheats and to turf people off benefits or sanction them (oh, doesn't that make the statistics look lovely).

I have been so distressingly impacted by all the propaganda that I am pathetically grateful to  neighbours who treat me with kindness and respect. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 12:57:56 PM »
Result, people power works:-

https://www.samaritans.org/news/samaritans-advisory-board

Samaritans' Advisory Board

Friday 2nd February 2018 

Esther McVey MP has stepped down from our Advisory Board due to her commitments as Secretary of State for the Department of Work and Pensions.

She was invited by the Board to become a member in early 2017 when she was Chair of the British Transport Police Authority, one of the partners we work with to reduce suicides in the rail environment.

We are extremely grateful to Esther for her support for the work of Samaritans and for the time she has given to the Advisory Board.

Samaritans’ Advisory Board provides us with informal support, helping us to increase our potential to influence and fundraise. Neither the Chair nor any of its members is paid.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 01:02:06 PM »
 >lol< >thumbsup< 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
>lol< >thumbsup<

I doubt it was just my detailed complaint to Samaritans HQ that did it.

SteveX

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:34 PM »
Good riddance!
Member of POMMAS

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 01:14:49 PM »
I doubt it was just my detailed complaint to Samaritans HQ that did it.

I bet it contributed, though.  It's like when people go on a demonstration: each individual thinks they made no difference, but if all the individuals that thought that had stayed away, there wouldn't have been the demonstration that made the difference.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 05:24:38 PM »
Esther McVey MP has stepped down from our Advisory Board due to her commitments as Secretary of State for the Department of Work and Pensions.

Strewth, talk about short and (not so) sweet... Is that one of the shortest 'appointments' ever?!

Good on ya, Lankou, for putting in your 'detailed complaint', by the way.  You probably weren't the only one, but as a well-known supermarket slogan goes, 'Every Little Helps' ..