Author Topic: Time I think for Westminster to wake up and smell the coffee  (Read 75 times)

JLR2

Time I think for Westminster to wake up and smell the coffee
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:01:31 PM »
What follows was taken from the Works and Pensions committee report as it appeared on the Guardian's web pages.

''A report by the work and pensions select committee highlighted people with Down’s syndrome asked when they “caught” it, a woman reporting frequent suicidal thoughts asked why she had not yet killed herself, and someone whose assessment said she walked a dog daily, when she can barely walk and does not own a dog.''

''One woman wrote that her assessor reported that she got up from a chair without difficulty. She told the committee: “I was in bed the whole time (she let herself in) and I only have the one chair in the room, and she was sitting in it.” 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/09/disability-claimants-substantial-minority-failed-by-assessment-system-mps-committee''

To my mind a substantial minority of cases like these two are reason enough to call a halt to the roll out of both PiP and UC. There is an expression used by some politicians when addressing issues around a fatal accident and the politician is calling for action to be taken to prevent such accidents, invariably they tell the camera, ''One death is too many''  How many must be allowed to die as a result of these changes to the welfare system before the Westminster government decides there has been 'one death too many'?

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Time I think for Westminster to wake up and smell the coffee
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:30:35 PM »
How many must be allowed to die as a result of these changes to the welfare system before the Westminster government decides there has been 'one death too many'?

Well, with this sort of attitude to mental illness:

...a woman reporting frequent suicidal thoughts asked why she had not yet killed herself

..perhaps not in our lifetime  >doh<

Of course, the government can always fall back on 'well, these people had a long-term physical/mental illness so would have died earlier/took their own lives anyway'.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »
Its been a standard statement in appeal papers for the last few years
"has suicidal thoughts, states would not act on this due to effect on family"
other ones say "has no insight into illness" then gives the reasons why they got no points as "claimant reports no issues with this task"

I'm the wrong one to comment on this as I see so many reports that contradict and are nonsense its normal for me.

You really need to take the assessment centres away from profit making organisations - if the assessments were based on best of claimant rather than get as many done in as short a time possible, it would be a start.
 >dove<

SteveX

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 11:19:27 PM »
You really need to take the assessment centres away from profit making organisations

^this, This and THIS!
I cannot state strongly enough how important that is!  >angry<
Member of POMMAS