Author Topic: Self employment - tax credits  (Read 5207 times)

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Re: Self employment - tax credits
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
Hi agapanthus,
Im not great on tax credits as it tends to be a very specific calculation but you tend to find that the disability element of tax credits are paid at a decent level for 12 months and then drop to zero, its that way for some working tax credits.  Its the same for the 50+ element - its paid for a year & then goes to zeros

The other thing I would suggest is that you write to your MP and point out that due to these changes in legislation you are going to be worse off each week and ask why you and your partner are being punished for being ill.  I know you won't get a favourable answer but if we don't tell them they just deny all knowledge of people being worse off.
Monic

Sofie

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:53:36 PM »
Hi agapanthus,
Im not great on tax credits as it tends to be a very specific calculation but you tend to find that the disability element of tax credits are paid at a decent level for 12 months and then drop to zero, its that way for some working tax credits.  Its the same for the 50+ element - its paid for a year & then goes to zeros

If you receive DLA, this doesn't apply.

agapanthus

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 11:41:32 PM »
Hi SM! (and Sofie).... yes I think this is a very valid point for most people. However I am all paid up with NI contributions so don't need them for my pension. I am only just over 2 yrs short of my State Pension. Obviously if I needed to go into the Support Group later on then it sounds as if the rules might allow people to change from WRAG to SG as long as the contributions are continued, but I think in my case it's worth taking the risk of WTC instead as it's such a short space of time. I think this latter scenario has been kind of agreed to by Lord Freud, but not confirmed yet?

I am unlikely to earn very much from the hat selling to be honest, and I can see that the WTC is a tempting prospect which is why people are going for it, and why the Govt are doing away with it for those like me who will earn peanuts!!

Hi Monic! (and Sofie)
I have never claimed DLA, but I claimed Working Tax Credit around 5 years ago, after I had been on Incapacity Benefit for just over a year. On that basis I was able to claim the Disability element for over 3 years, as I had been on IB because of depression, but shortly after I began work I was diagnosed with ME/CFS which was a continuing condition. You can in fact continue to claim the disability element, or at least you could with IB, and I am not aware that this has changed with ESA (though I will check).

The unnerving thing that happened though was that HMRC decided to check me out (I think it's called a compliance check) when I stopped my WTC claim. I had then been receiving WTC for 3 years so was a bit scared in case something was wrong, but they checked all my paperwork and it was all in order thank goodness. I was pretty annoyed about them doing it since they were checking my right to receive WTC, and surely that should have been checked at the outset by them. Luckily I had kept every scrap of paperwork.

I did get the 50+ element then, and yes, it did end after a year, but in fact they are doing away with that anyway this April.

I have been writing to my MP since last year about ESA and unusually he is one of the more sympathetic ones ..... he is a LibDem rebel. He did actually get a debate going last year right at the start of things, and I was very gratified when he used a phrase that I had used in my letter to him. Nothing changed though - there was not enough will from the MPs as a body over the whole Bill. Just a few whimpers of protest, but almost nothing really of any significance.

Monic1511

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »
Hi agapanthus
you said you have never claimed DLA - would you qualify now, if your health has detieorated (sp) then it may be worthwhile submitting a claim especially if you meet the support group criteria.  Even if you don't get into the support group as you have had a disability for several years that limits your employability the you should meet the criteria for disability element of WTC,  your right you can continue to get the disability element its just that HMRC are tightening things up again  - I'll need to check if they are changing it to DLA being a requirement but not sure yet of this is the case.
best wishes
monic

agapanthus

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »
Hi Monic
I have looked at the criteria for DLA and I don't feel that I qualify. My condition is worse than it was when I worked, but not severe enough (in my opinion) to get either the Care Component or Mobility. I can cook a simple meal (I often use a perching stool to reduce standing time), and I can shower with no real problem. I can walk to some extent, as long as I don't do it again the next day. As long as I pace and manage my condition well I can do those things. I just don't have enough consistent energy or stamina to work.

There is no doubt in my own mind that I am not fit enough to go out to work, (or their's apparently since I am in WRAG long term) but because of the way ESA works I am probably not eligible for the Support Group though I am asking if they will consider me. I do not fulfil any of the Support Group descriptors but I am asking them to consider me under the Exceptional Circumstances Regs.

I must admit that I have had a bad few days and I am having cold feet about the 16 hrs work now anyway, and not sure that I can do it consistently.

Monic1511

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »
Hi Agapanthus
Based on what you said Im going to ask a few more questions
You said that you can cook a meal - can you lift a pot & carry it to the sink and safely pour the water off the potatoes or does you grip give way without warning?
You said you can shower - is it a walk in shower or a shower in a bath - one in a bath involes trying to step into the bath without tripping, can you stand in the shower and wash your hair or must you use one hand to hold onto the grab rail?  Can you dry your lower body without getting dizzy when you bend down?  Do you shower every day or only once or twice a week cos its too tiring? as in "I just don't have enough consistent energy or stamina"
As for walking - does it get more painful the further you go and do you end up dragging your feet, shuffling along & holding on for support, If you said I can walk a short distance one day but an not able to walk the next day without severe pain & discomfort & exhaustion.   50meters is the distance the dwp goes by - thats half a football pitch or approximately 5 single decker buses back to back.  If you can do that every day then fine but say you can't walk that 4 out of 7 days I would be encouraging you to apply.
I would try again & see what comes back - if its a no they tell you silly things like "although you fall you do not hurt yourself  >yikes<"   said to my mum after she split her chin in a fall >doh<  thats when you do an appeal & see how you get on with that.
Please consider it and ask if you want more help
best wishes
Monic

agapanthus

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 08:33:31 AM »
Hi Monic
Thank you for taking the time to write all that - I really appreciate your kindness.
Yes, I am fine on the aspects you mention re the cooking and the showering. We haven't got a bath any more, just a walk in shower, and I can do it every day.

My cooking skills have got reduced to very simple meals to reduce time spent, but I can do it. My husband shares too, so I don't do it every day. If I had to do it every day, I probably could .... but of course would spend less time on other things to save energy. And of course my energy fluctuates as I have ME/CFS.

I am very lucky that I don't have a lot of pain with ME/CFS unless I increase my activities beyond a certain point, which I have learnt is all I can manage. I try to have some social life, which includes some physical activity, but I will suffer for it afterwards, so it's constantly learning how to manage, how to balance. I do as little in the house as I can get away with! (so as to save that energy for the things I enjoy).

I find the walking test hard to know. I can walk for an hour slowly as long as it's fairly slowly and flat or downhill. But I wouldn't do that kind of walking every day. I live on a very steep hill and with no car, so when I go out it's either downhill or on the bus. I tend therefore to do too much when I do go out due to the difficulty in getting anywhere. It all fluctuates too. If I have a virus (fairly often) then i wouldn't go out much, as all the symptoms get worse. All in all though, I think I could probably walk the 50mtrs most days if I had to (though in reality I can't due to the hill which of course is not part of their equation!!!).

Sofie

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 12:28:41 PM »
I would try again & see what comes back - if its a no they tell you silly things like "although you fall you do not hurt yourself  >yikes<

Where's the logic? I am at more risk of falling than your average person; but do not have a disability which means I'm more likely to hurt myself than a non-disabled person. I've hurt myself every time I have fallen over.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »
I rarely fall, though I do walk into things & almost always have a couple of bruises. 
As far as I can work out, they mean "hurt yourself" as in needing treatment from a health professional - so when I cut my elbow badly enough to need sticking together by a nurse that would have counted, but when I walk into a doorframe & bruise my arm or leg, that wouldn't.
It's a few years since I had a fall that warranted seeking help so I probably wouldn't even put that on the form (especially as I frequently have no recollection of the impact by the time I find the bruise a day or two later; unless it was a particularly embarrasing one where people were fussing).  However, I almost never go out-of-doors without boots on, as shoes don't prevent my ankles turning sideways, landing me on the pavement - that's normal-for-me (I can be persuaded into flat shoes if no walking to/ from the place eg for a family party)...

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »
That's how I've viewed it too, Seegee.  I never think of minor cuts and bruises as injuring myself.  It's just normal for me.  I tend to think of injury as something that needs medical help and intervention, not just mopping up and sticking a plaster on.