Author Topic: Article made me cross!!!  (Read 3052 times)

Jazz

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Article made me cross!!!
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:11:07 AM »
Thought this a disgusting article against people on benefits, I dont usually do comments but felt I had too I was sooo cross!Thought I would share it with you. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2112621/Cut-benefits-like-tax-credits-pound-pound.html

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Article made me cross!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
The welfare state is similarly rigged in favour of the feckless. Hard-working parents feeling the pinch get no joy from it, only an occasional kick in the teeth when the government is looking for ways to extract more money from them.

I have an idea. For every pound the government confiscates from people in employment, it should automatically dock a pound from benefit claimants.

If those who work are being charged extra to exist in this country, and being made to cut their cloth more and more every day, then those who do not work should be treated exactly the same.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2112621/Cut-benefits-like-tax-credits-pound-pound.html#ixzz1ohzz6OP2

Jazz you are right it is a disgusting article the ignorance of the author is shocking.

Your comment is very good,

Disgusting article. We disabled people have the same bills as you, even we have to pay for parking permits etc and although I have a blue badge I still have to pay to park in a car park at the same rate as you even thoughI am a lot slower at getting about than you, it actually costs me more as I need more time to get to or around the shops, banks etc. I NEED to spend a lot on fuel for my car as I cant get anywhere without my car, there are no buses where I live, we dont even have a PO. I need extra heating,my conditionmeans that I need a constant heat. I need careand supervision 24/7 my hubby cares for me,he gets just over 55 a week big deal! when he worked he had a well paid job, he has tried plenty of times to go back to work but I became ill again, we hate being on benefits cos we are fed up of being called scroungers. Just because we dont work cos I am disabled doesnt mean that we dont have the same bills as you. I will change places with you now, you can have ALL the pain I have

- Jazz,

' I will change places with you now, you can have ALL the pain I have'

Looks like you used Kizzy's  >flyswatter< there  >thumbsup<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »
Who is this dumb-ass 'Melissa Kite' anyway?  Never heard of her before... not bothered if I never hear from her again  >whistle<

Nice comment, Jazz  >thumbsup<

Sofie

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »
I mentioned that they moan about parents being 530 a year worse off. What about the disabled person who will lose their contributions based ESA after 1 year? That's around 10x that a year.

TimRegency

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »
I notice that these articles are never about improving the lot of the working poor, just 'taking away' from benefit claimants. You would have thought more people would see through this 'logic' which suggests that two groups of people should be bashed. Obvious divide and rule I would say.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:36:43 PM »
I notice that these articles are never about improving the lot of the working poor, just 'taking away' from benefit claimants.

"Do you want me to talk?"

"No Mr Bond, I want you to die."

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
What a nasty person the columnist appears to be!

Sofie

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 02:51:58 PM »
The article forgets to mention that the tax allowance will go up from April.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:37:08 PM »
Good one Jazz >thumbsup<

Even by the Heil's standards, that article is revolting.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 07:03:49 PM »
I think in time their tone will change, but whether that's this year or in ten years' time, I don't know.

However, while they rely on a reader base that sees itself as middle class and likes to think that all its successes in life are down to hard work, never to good fortune, more and more of its reader base are losing their jobs, moving to shorter hours etc.  Even those that are currently resentful of their frozen/reduced pay and envious of people they think work less hard and get more will in time get fed up with articles written from the point of higher-rate taxpayers.   

Let's look at a parallel.  In the thirties, the Mail was fascist and antisemitic and supported Mosley.  These days, it's anti-islamic but now Jews are ok and if it's Jew vs. Muslim, the Mail will back the Jew all the way.  They are anti-immigrant, but they are generationally so, which means that Caribbean immigrants of the sixties, generally Christian/lapsed Christian are ok, and the Mail will speak out against racial prejudice against them because it likes to make a big thing of being pro-Christian, but it is ambivalent about Asians because some are second/third generation influential businessmen but some are the hated Muslims.  So they are careful how they describe British Asians according to what sort of story they want to run.

Somehow sick and disabled people have to reposition themselves vis-a-vis the Mail and similar media outlets.

I don't know, but I get the impression that the Mail's website is more important now than its hard copy papers.  The website is free to visit, but the papers cost money to produce and distribute each copy, so the profit from advertising on the site must compete well with the profit from the papers.

But sick and disabled people go online in large numbers.  We're increasingly part of their target advertising audience. 

I wonder how long it will be before companies selling wheelchairs and walk-in baths start advertising in the Mail.  To judge by the junkmail my father gets, it's a lucrative market. 

But to get that advertising and increase that audience, the Mail will have to alter the tone of its articles.

Only time will tell if, like Jewish people, Disabled people stop being targets for the Mail, and if we do, who they'll target instead.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »
Here's another article from the same woman; seems she may just hate everybody - this is about people cheating benefits (though some of her examples may not be & others are just plain thieves).
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108928/Meet-middle-class-benefits-cheats.html

All the comments below the article linked to in the op are telling her she's a fool or a horrible woman.

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »
My oh works full time and earns 25.000 a year. We have 3 children. I get my Cesa untill sept then we will lose 90 odd a week. It does not need a mathematician to work out that 5000 per person per year is not a lot to live off. We earn enough to not get any help with council tax and housing, luckily i get DLA and my son get lr DLA for now. I get p'd off hearing about how we are scroungers and then hardworking , ie. not claiming other benefits. As i get a medical pension from the services i get taxed on my Cesa, so i am a tax payer too even though i am on benefit.
I am not sure how we will manage come september as it is a massive drop in income but the bills still stay the same. How we will manage when the pip arrives i dont want to think about.
This woman makes me fizz with anger. >steam<

SteveX

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »
Wow some people are really blinkered.   Why on earth do they think we love being in pain and hobbling about like a 100 year old?   If I was fit I'd work tomorrow, would be nice to do things as normal, get around as normal, meet people as normal,etc etc.  What an ill-educated person that is.

Well done Jazz, your reply was spot on!
Member of POMMAS

Sofie

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »
I get p'd off hearing about how we are scroungers and then hardworking , ie. not claiming other benefits.

I've found these comments usually come from those who are working and claiming tax credits. >steam<

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 08:24:12 PM »
I work in the public sector and once again there will be no pay rise this year whilst costs of living continue to rise.  I am not happy about this but I am still better off than any benefit claiment, albeit not by much, and seeing claiments losing money would not make me happy.  She forgets too that at least working people get to keep any exta money they make unlike anyone on means-tested benefits.

What has happened to love thy neighbour and do as you would be done by?