Author Topic: Statement on the recording of WCAs by Grayling at EDM 295 debate.  (Read 679 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Statement on the recording of WCAs by Grayling at EDM 295 debate.
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:24:30 AM »
This is VERY important and needs quoting by anyone requesting a WCA be recorded:-

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm120904/halltext/120904h0001.htm#12090423000003

4 Sep 2012 : Column 42WH

I was keen that we just did it, but Harrington said to me, “Actually, it may not work, so I really think that you should pilot it. It may prove to have a negative effect.” We therefore tested recording and found that there was little enthusiasm among those being assessed to have their assessment recorded. In the end, the conclusion was that we should make recording available on a voluntary basis, but it should not be something that we do across the board.

I do not rule out recording. If there was overwhelming evidence showing that it was necessary, I would make it available, but let me give some statistics. There are 300 claimants waiting for an audio-recorded assessment, while Atos is conducting 8,000 assessments a week. We are ordering additional audio-recording machines so that people can have their assessment recorded, if they want. They are perfectly entitled to bring their own recording equipment to an assessment as long as it can record two copies of an assessment, because they need to be able to take one copy with them and leave the other behind. That is why we have to buy what is fairly expensive equipment, and we have ordered additional equipment because there has been an increase in demand in the last few weeks.

Becca7

Re: Statement on the recording of WCAs by Grayling at EDM 295 debate.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »
How many who dont are aware they can? Nowhere does it say it can be recorded when invited for a medical (i knew otherwise thanks to here).  There are people with no one to go with them to make notes who would find it helpful.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
How many who dont are aware they can? Nowhere does it say it can be recorded when invited for a medical (i knew otherwise thanks to here).  There are people with no one to go with them to make notes who would find it helpful.

I posted the reference so if people get ****ed about by ATOS they can reference it to ATOS.

Becca7

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:10:35 PM »
I understand that. Its just i worry about those who dont come here who think ATOS are there to help and dont realise. They should offer it on appt letters to all.

AccessOfficer

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:10:54 PM »
Nice one Lankou, appreciated.