Author Topic: Everyone's "virtually" invited  (Read 1683 times)

1BillionHex

Everyone's "virtually" invited
« on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:06 PM »
Hi everyone!

I thought I would let you know about a series of activities we are planning as part of our series of shows and podcasts we are producing this and next year.

I won't go into too much detail about the shows as this post is about a specific project we are working on but if you're interested, the link to our site is in my signature, just click on that and look for the “shows” link on any page there.

We're looking for people to come with us (virtually) while we are doing work for our shows. We are in production with our pilot series now featuring the areas around the stations between Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Carlisle and once that is done we'll be starting our big project in and near Arrochar, Scotland (that's beside Loch Lomond).

What these “Virtually hosted” walks will do is allow anyone with a computer, internet connection and (where possible but not essential) a webcam to join our team while we are out and about. The way we are going to set this up is that you can tell us where to go and while you're looking at the video feed (which will generally follow the view of our DSLR cameras) you can generally chat and ask for photos to be taken of that particular view (or ask us to move the camera to get a better image). All images will then be sent via email/social stream to the guest and possibly printed and posted (depending on funding). Later, once we get funding, we hope to pay for a sign interpreter to join us in the video feed to assist with BSL, ASL and others.

Some of these walks will be recorded and published on YouTube under a non-commercial Creative Commons Licence but only if all participants agree. Most will not be published and we will be hosting these in small groups or individually (depending on the wishes of the guests).

If there's particular demand for an area in the UK which isn't near where we are filming, we would consider making a special trip there if we can cover the costs from our funds.

This is just a general “feeler” to see if there's any interest in this in Ouch Too and I'd prefer to start this project off with the members here. We need to get some more gear and test it first. ;-)

I'll be updating our website again as some of the content was added before we started filming our pilot series.

Any questions, comment or what-have-you can be put in this thread or by email (postmaster@1BillionHex.com).

I would prefer this project to be used by those that wouldn't normally be able to get out including their families and carers.

All the best,
Bob.
1BillionHex.com

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Everyone's "virtually" invited
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:38:27 AM »
Hello Bob,

Could you please let me know who 'we' are.  That is the 'we' who are organising these interesting activities.  thanks.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 03:37:42 AM »
Looks quite interesting anyway. But this is from someone who was born near Loch Lomond and used to live in Carlisle.

SunshineMeadows (on Sabbactical)

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:26:07 AM »
Auntie,

There is a link to the project website at the bottom of the first post, also https://www.1billionhex.com/shows/

Bob,

Thank you for running this by me before starting the thread, I really like the idea of virtual tours and the tours being interactive. Starting in the North of England is a good idea because the countryside up there is more variable with hills and valleys I could not get to myself.

I look forward to reading and seeing more.

1BillionHex

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments :-)

In the first audio podcast, there's a bit of an explanation behind why I'm doing these shows:
The podcast can be found here: https://www.1billionhex.com/blog/2013/02/09/made-in-arrochar-podcast-episode-1/
And the transcribed text file (we haven't got the signed versions done yet) can also be found here: https://www.1billionhex.com/scripts/PodcastScript001.txt

Right now, the "we" is really just myself and Rich (the young cameraman) but we hope that we will be in a position to take on full-time staff/crew in April.

In addition to the info from the first podcast, I was the Chair of a Small Charity a couple of years ago but this was "wrapped-up" due to a lack of funding. I was "trustee of the week" on the Small Charities Coalition site: http://www.trusteenet.org.uk/trustees-of-week/bob-noble

I used to teach computing (about 20 years ago) and have been involved with computers for a long time. I have done a lot of animation and media editing and decided to go into commercial product photography as I could do that at home and didn't involve much travelling (but fate again had different ideas). As there seemed to be so many others out there doing the same thing as me, I had to try something else that could use my talents and perhaps allow me to try to get back outside. I was hoping that I could start off doing some commercial work and then start to feed the profits from that into something more "worthwhile" and something I feel more strongly about.

This is very much like what we wanted to do with Open Indie Project Dot Org but now it's more physical for me as I'm the one getting out and getting the filming and resources.

If you have any questions after listening to/reading the first podcast, I'll be more than happy to answer them. :-)

Thanks and all the best.
Bob.

1BillionHex

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »
Thank you for running this by me before starting the thread, I really like the idea of virtual tours and the tours being interactive. Starting in the North of England is a good idea because the countryside up there is more variable with hills and valleys I could not get to myself.

I look forward to reading and seeing more.

We've been out quite a bit... Finished filming with Northern Rail a couple of weeks ago and trying to get as much of the other general filming done now... As soon as we can rely (that's a laugh) on the weather, we'll be able to get the guest stuff done for the pilot series.

If we can sort out funding, I've made a pledge to walk from Newcastle to Carlisle and then up to Arrochar. This will be over 200 miles depending on the route but I will be filming the whole journey as well as arranging many Google Hangouts and skype stuff along the way. This won't be done in one hike as I'll be needing to stop, take meds and I'll be arranging regular medical check-ups along the way to keep me safe... ohh, I might want to sleep some time also ;-)

To keep everything "right" and working well (and save on bandwidth), we'll be encouraging guests on the "virtual" walks to have a few people with them so they can enjoy the views and I'll be arranging moderators. This will mean I can concentrate on where I am and what I'm doing and leave the running of the virtual conference stuff to someone else. I wouldn't want to be working on sorting out a Google hangout problem and end up walking off a cliff somewhere because I forgot to look in front of me LOL.

I'd be just as happy to work with the admins here on stuff such as moderation of the virtual walks. :-)

Bob.