Author Topic: Switch Stick collapse.  (Read 1833 times)

AndMac

• Charter Member
Switch Stick collapse.
« on: April 22, 2013, 06:29:47 PM »
I've just posted my two year old "Poppy" Switch Stick back to them as the metal failed on Saturday evening and pitched me to the floor. I'm well under the maximum weight for it.

I've got 3 other bog-standard folding sticks,   2 of the 3 are older and more  well - used than the Switch Stick. One is the same one that Aldi have on offer at the moment.

The company have been very good, and have agreed to replace it, though posting it all back cost me a fiver and that was with lightweight packaging.
 If you have a Switch stick you may want to be a bit cautious about using it if you are less than lightweight. I'm quite tall, so am a fair weight but I'm still 4 stone lighter than the max. recommended weight.

Here's a pic of the split.

"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
Re: Switch Stick collapse.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
(Pardon the language, but...)

Sod the stick AM, are you OK  >yikes<

I have trouble with sticks as I am a large lad.  The best stick I had was a telescoping stick with a spring inside it somewhere that cushioned the impact.  Like you do, when you find a perfect stick, you put it down in a cafe or on a bus on a good day and lose it!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »
AndMac - I sincerely hope that you weren't badly hurt in the fall >hugs<

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »
Thanks for your concern. I'm fine.
 I was in the lounge at the time, I'd just got up from my chair and, as you do, I was putting quite a lot of weight on to the stick, as I got my legs going to move into the kitchen.
I dropped to my knees when it went, so some knee bruising, but I've done a lot worse before now. The shock of it was the worst thing really, it was a bit scary as it was so sudden. 
Luckily the settee was to hand to get me back to my feet. I rolled on to that and then got to my feet - using the walls and furniture I managed to get to another stick to support me.
It could have been so much worse, God help me if it had gone on the stairs - that happened to ex top jockey Terry Biddlecombe and he was lucky not to kill himself when the stick (a wooden one) broke.   If it had gone  when I was far from home, I would have had real problems getting back.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

Yvette

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »
What a shock!  You must have been really shaken up.

I always change my crutches regularly because I had to be admitted to hospital when the spring inside a crutch disintegrated, which telescoped the crutch down on itself and I sent me a right purler.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »
I am glad to hear that you were not hurt AndMac - no thanks to the people who made the stick!

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »
It's good to know that you weren't injured AndMac, and thanks for the warning about the stick.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »
Glad you weren't hurt (much) AndMac. >hugs<

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
Just to let you know that the new replacement stick, complete with new ergonomic handle and spare matching coloured handle arrived this morning.

As it was sent 2nd class it must have been posted Thursday at the latest, which, given that the broken one reached them on Tuesday, is good going. 

It's lovely to have a really smart, shiny, unscratched stick again and a super grippy unworn ferrule.

Dorothy Parker

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »
It is good to read you were relatively unhurt and the company supplied a replacement stick.

When I was using a walking stick it was apple wood so fairly thin and strong, and I dont know much about metal sticks or crutches. Is it possible to see wear on a metal stick before it breaks or does it just 'go'? If so Yvette's approach sounds like the best one.

Yvette

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
a super grippy unworn ferrule.

AndMac, please replace your ferrules regularly. 

And inbetween, turn the ferrule round every so often to give it equal wear.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »
That's excellent advice Yvette. The ferrule on the old one was replaced as recently as November last year, it did need it though. I got one from Switch Sticks so it matched -it's bright red. I was tempted to remove before sending it back, but thought better of it, so they could see that I had cared for the stick.

SM, regarding indications that it was going to break, it had got slightly loose at the joint but these was no other sign of wear.
I bought a bargain basement, super lightweight, chrome non-folding stick from BM Bargains a few  years ago. The ferrule wore out instantly, right through on the first use outside,  but I replaced it with one from Wilkinson's. I tend to only use it in the house but Wilko's products are pretty good, I wouldn't expect that experience to be repeated.

Dorothy Parker