Author Topic: I could really use some advice please.  (Read 3038 times)

Scared

I could really use some advice please.
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
Hello,
         I am new and have been searching the internet for a place to ask advice which led me here.

In June I got a letter asking me to fill in the ESA50 form,i got income support due to my illness but they said they needed to migrate me to ESA.

I filled it it and sent it back with all the evidence I could get,heard nothing so today my husband rang Atos and they said they had completed the report and sent it to the dwp so a decision could be made about my esa,they said they could not tell us what that report said.

We managed to get someone from esa to ring us,they said the final decision has not been made and could take weeks yet but that ATOS had recommended that I be placed in the support group for 18 months,as I wait for their decision it leaves me wondering if they will listen to ATOS,i do not believe I will be well in 18 months and neither does my doctor but some respite from this would be wonderful.

Do the dwp usually follow what ATOS  say? They told my husband they usually do unless there are major differences in the ATOS report and my ESA50 and other evidence but I know nothing is final yet,anyone have any experience of this?

I have also just had to send off my DLA renewal,i am not required to apply for PIP yet because my current award ends before March 2014 so I was asked to do DLA renewal,they said to expect an 8 week wait for that and all of this stress is obviously driving me crazy.

Any advice please?

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: I could really use some advice please.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
Hi Scared and welcome to OuchToo  :-)

It looks pretty much like you already have your ESA result - the DWP do indeed tend to follow the recommendations of ATOS when it comes to prognosis, ie the length of time deemed appropriate before another review date is set (not a date that you should return to work!!) 

I know it's stressful and frustrating having to wait for paper confirmation of the decision - ditto for the DLA - but once you've completed the forms the best you can, there isn't much more you can humanly do.  Most of us have experienced the process and can sympathise with that 'on edge' feeling - so we're with you all the way and rooting for you to have the best possible outcome  >thumbsup<

Scared

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
Thank you so much,i really hope that the DWP do take note and follow the ATOS report,i am sad to see the stability of income support being lost as I know so many other people are too but to me 18 months would be a huge respite,like a lot of people the wait so far has been a very long one and so,so painful.

I know I have a lot more waiting yet,if they lower my DLA award I am going to appeal too so it's all so much to take on,just a bit of time out from it would be amazing.

I really appreciate your advice and encouragement,thankyou.

SunshineMeadows (on Sabbactical)

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:33:46 AM »
Just to add a little bit more to what Kizzy said.

As far as we know the maximum amount of time currently given to people on ESA before reassessment is 3 years. Also people who have just been transferred or it is a new ESA claim do tend to get a shorter time before their claim is looked at again than people who are renewing a claim.Take heart that ATOs are saying they put you in the Support Group because when ESA first came out ATOs assessors were putting too many people in the Work Related Group and people had to appeal to get into the Support Group.

When it comes to DLA it should be continuing to the end using the same criteria and assessment procedures as it has been for years. It is only one example but my partner just renewed his claim and got the same award as he previously had.

The DWP are supposed to be moving people who renew after the 28th October 2013 to claiming PIP, so it is good you already got your renewal in already.

Please let us know how you get on.

Scared

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
Thank you so much,i do feel the length was a bit short but it isn't so much that that is worrying me,i had kind of prepared myself that any award would not be for that long as I know they reassess frequently now,it is more being in limbo because I know that ATOS have recommended the support group but that the DWP have not yet made a decision so it could still go into WRAG.

The reason I am so scared of WRAG is because I know they would require me to take part in some work related activity and if I couldn't do it I would be sanctioned so it's worrying me sick,ATOS sent DWP the report on the 9th,i have no idea how much longer they will need to decide though.

I will let you all know when I find something out both with the ESA and DLA,it's such a massive worry,i know so many of you have been through it too so you will understand the fear and stress.

Monic1511

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »
Hi Scared

Please have a look at Kizzy's post about being in the wrag
http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=5766.msg69374#msg69374

The requirement to take part in work related activity could be as simple as consider what jobs you can do or what aids would you need to work in a specific place.  i really doubt they would send you off to a shop to spend a day on a work placement
 >hugs<
Monic

Scared

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »
Thanks for that Monic,i will have a look at it,can't rely on them putting me in the support group just because Atos say that is their advice to the dwp and I will appeal it but I know that takes time x

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:01:25 PM »
You may well not have to appeal anything - it's natural to imagine 'worst-case scenarios' and plan for them (part of our survival tactics!) but now you've decided what you'll do if you don't get the result you want, that's as far as you can go until there's an actual decision by the DWP.  I won't say, 'try not to think about it' because I know how damn impossible that is - but when you do find yourself worrying to the extent that it's ruining your present moments, keep reassuring yourself that 'well, if X happens, I will do Y and/or Z'.  At least this puts you back in control and you can get on with your days the best you can during this 'limbo' time!

..and maybe you'll be able to change your username to 'Relieved'  ;-) 

Scared

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 01:00:26 AM »
So true Kizzy,absolutely nothing I can do about any of it until I get some actual news on either of them,a member of my husband's family got her esa decision today,it was a positive one and I am very pleased that she has some relief for a while,she was about 3 weeks ahead of me with the whole migration,i don't expect that mine will be positive just because hers was or anything but at least it shows there might be some light in the form of an answer soon.

Got the standard letter from DLA today saying they have my form and listing the possible things they may do next like contact my gp or arrange for me to see one of their doctors etc so just have to wait and see now,they said they might ask me to send more information but I honestly sent everything I had,no point trying to guess them though,they will choose what route they want to take.

I just feel so very weak at the moment what with being unwell then the stress and I have developed a tooth abscess which is my fault for being a wimp about the dentist but it's got bad very quickly and I am going to have to see someone first thing as I feel really ill with it and I read far too many scary things on the internet so I have worked myself up into an awful state over it,just feels like life is raining blows at the moment but all I can do is hope it gets better :)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »
Hi Scared.  What do you do to relax?  (Looking at awful things on the internet does not count!)

Scared

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »
Hi auntieCtheM
                        Honestly I can't think of one single thing,i must try to find something to help me along,i am terrible for sending myself into overdrive on the internet and I know I have to stop that,the abscess has gone now thankfully but it has left me more worn out than I usually am,i've got a relaxation CD,i think later after my bath I will listen to that and try to unwind a bit.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »
You sound as though you know yourself quite well.  That is good. 

Do you have a hobby of any sort or can you get somewhere to do yoga for example.  A lot of us find that a little exercise helps.  My doggie takes me out most days, although she is rather elderly now and it could be labelled 'sniffies' rather than walkies these days.  >biggrin<

Scared

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 08:18:19 PM »
Aww bless her! Sorry for the delay in replying,i kept coming back but couldn't find where I had posted,my head gets a bit muddled sometimes,i struggle with outdoor hobbies a bit because I can't go out or stay in any place without my husband,i panic if he goes out of sight but I like it when we go for walks around the lake,getting a bit chilly now but if he is with me I can do that as long as the car isn't far away,i need that to get back to if I get bad,it's a bit of a safe haven.

I do love music and I use that a lot to try to escape from my worries so that is one thing I suppose,just something as a bit of a distraction if nothing else.

I got a letter from esa and it says I am in the support group so that is one thing for a while,my husband rang dla and they said it's all on the screen to be looked at but they are having a bit of a delay and are advising everyone that it should be about 8 weeks,i am about 2 weeks into it now so a long way yet before I find out but at least 2 weeks in is better than no weeks in,i feel so scared but i'm trying to keep as calm as possible for now,it took 21 weeks to get the esa done and now at least another 6 for dla decision,takes up so much of my head space but all I can do now is wait and hope x

devine63

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
Hi Scared

when you come back to Ouchtoo either go to the members list and find your own name, from that you can find your other postings OR click on the "show new replies to your posts".

As yet, none of us knows how those who get into the ESA support group will fare when it comes to re-assessment for DLA / PIP so there isn't much we can say to reassure you.  However - it is really hard to get into the support group, so if you have done that, it's the best possible start!

In the meantime, all you can do is to give yourself every possible opportunity to relax.  Do whatever you need to to look after yourself,
regards, deb
regards, Deb

[devine63]

Scared

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 11:00:05 PM »
Thank you devine,i will keep that in mind so I don't lose where I have posted again :) I know the support group is very hard to get into so I was grateful and surprised by that,this is my 4th dla renewal but the first in 5 years and I know things have changed so much since then so it's scary but all I can do is wait and see,i so hope it will be okay but feel it wont be,only time can tell though so I will try not to let it overcome me too much.