Author Topic: "Woe is me!"  (Read 16794 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
"Woe is me!"
« on: July 07, 2016, 01:35:01 PM »
I'm afraid this is a me, me, me post.

I just thought I'd mention that as some will have realised, I'm not at my best.

So if I don't offer my usual supportive huggy things or if I don't share advice/experience, or if I sound a bit hard-hitting on my replies on topical issues, please see it in terms of where it's coming from (how I am) not in terms of where it's going to (you).

And if when I spew forth opinions on something and you think it's heading too close to aggressive, you might want to mention it, preferably with a hug or something so I don't feel too defensive, just get the message.

I was already struggling, it got worse when my meds were messed around with, and now the referendum results have sent me into  meltdown.  In saying that, I'm fully aware that people are evenly split between those that voted in and those that voted out, that there are those that are relaxed about it, those that are really chuffed about it and those that are, like me, distraught about it.

And whilst I fully accept that there are probably some reading this that are right of centre, I'm not, and whilst I could have been fairly ok with a Ted Heath sort of conservative, I find all the current candidates for PM scary.  I'm not saying you should, I'm saying I do.  I find the future very, scary.

I was going to end with something light like 'normal service will be resumed shortly' but actually it doesn't feel like that for me.  Only time will tell.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: "Woe is me!"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:36:41 PM »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 03:20:59 PM »
You're not alone in finding the future frightening, Sunny. And there's nothing wrong in concentrating on yourself when your physical or mental health demands it.  >bighugs< >chocolate<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »
If I read L'Ankou's reply correctly, I've  made a complete ass of myself, so I need Neuro's choccy to console me.

Of course, that might be a picture of my soulmate Eeyore...
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 03:53:16 PM »
Just huggles from moi 4 now, you'll have 2 suck it up (sodding predictive text on Samsung tablet could have made this even more nonsense than wot I usually post)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 07:21:30 AM »
Sunny,

>bighugs<

The Brexit results and Cameron resigning so quickly have me worried too.

Three of us are down but not out, I hope it is not anything in the water. We just need to do what we can when we can.

Your posts encourage me to think of things beyond my immediate day to day life.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 08:21:01 AM »
 >bighugs<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »
How's you diddling today, Sunny me ole mucker?

(I have a "me-me-me" thread on the go as well so don't worry about it  >biggrin<)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »
I admit I twitched over the use of 'suck it up'.  Maybe it's changed in meaning these days.  It used to be a not very nice phrase, but you're not the sort of person who'd be not very nice.

Anyway, I phoned the sams and got through to a woman who kept interrupting with questions then got ratty with me because I was telling her facts not talking about how I felt.  I wanted to shout "If you don't want me to talk about facts, then don't ask me for facts!" but instead I politely excused myself and put the phone down.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 05:54:25 PM »
 >bighugs< (sorry it's just another hug)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 06:08:59 PM »
I needed that.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 11:02:32 PM »
Hi sunny, I read the picture as eeyore who I think is the depressed pal of Winnie not that your an ass,  >chocolate<  >mug-tea< >mug-tea<>bighugs<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 11:22:06 PM »
It's ok, I did understand it as sympathetic, it's just that I've got a daft sense of humour, which is one of the few things that keeps me going when life gets rough.

The chocolate is appreciated.  I hope that's some nice hot coffee in my cup and whatever you want in yours.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »
I admit I twitched over the use of 'suck it up'.  Maybe it's changed in meaning these days.  It used to be a not very nice phrase, but you're not the sort of person who'd be not very nice.

It means 'put up with it' (as in, you'll just have to grin and bear my hugs) - that post was made from my Samsung tablet and the auto-correct was driving me more crackers than I already am so was impatient to push the post out.  Normally I would have weighed it more carefully, so my apologies for using a potentially offensive phrase (perhaps I ought to triangle myself  >lol< For those who weren't on BBC Ouch, to triangle meant to report a post to the mods)  Any road up, I'm glad you know me well enough to have realised that no way would I kick a person when they're down  >thumbsup<

..I've got a daft sense of humour, which is one of the few things that keeps me going when life gets rough.

Damn right - and it endears us to others as well instead of being a sobbing ball of self-pity  ;-) - though it's OK to be that too sometimes, as I am learning!

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »
I'd only encountered the phrase suck it up in the context of negative 'stop whinging, tough if you don't like it, I don't care how rough it is' and that had been reinforced by being used recently by someone I regard as horrible, verging on WUM/troll on a completely different forum in a context where it was unambiguously unpleasant.  So that's why I mentioned twitching and how the meaning must be changing.  I.e. a linguistic interest in meaning drift.  Ok, that and foot-in-mouth syndrome. 

Btw.  you mention triangling.  On BBC Archers, we spoke of 'catpeeing', derived from CATP'ing, derived from Complain About This Post -ing.  The word's still used in some of the successor forums.

Given all that you're going through at the moment, it's kind of you to pop up on my thread.  I was very self-focussed when I was in hospital.  Well, that and whistleblowing on what I saw, but that was still what I saw in hospital.