Author Topic: Closure of CAB in Cornwall Consultation  (Read 649 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Closure of CAB in Cornwall Consultation
« on: December 18, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »

SunshineMeadows (on Sabbactical)

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Closure of CAB in Cornwall Consultation
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:45:57 AM »
It is good to see a council trying to do something  >thumbsup<

With this in mind, the Cornwall Council cabinet are proposing to Members to put back some of the grant funding that has been removed. This will amount to a grant £153,000 per annum for the next three years.

We would like to know your views on how the Council helps fund Citizens Advice Cornwall (CAC) now and in the future.

The survey is being carried out to gauge how and when residents use CAC and the impact their service has had on them.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »
It is good to see a council trying to do something  >thumbsup<

They are trying to shut all the CAB offices down in Cornwall. I don't give a thumbs up to that. A number of CAB offices in Cornwall already have closed.

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 06:37:09 PM »
I had another look and now realise the article was spun to sound like they were proposing putting back some funding. Sorry I had not followed this story before so did not know CAB offices had already been shut down.

I had a friend who worked for a local council giving benefits advice on the phone and it made me wonder are there alternatives to the CAB in Cornwall, as in is the funding going elsewhere.

Did the CAB rely entirely on the grants from the council or are they expected to get funding from elsewhere?

Shutting down places that are there to help people is rarely a good thing I am just wanting to know more about the process,

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 07:36:07 AM »
Here because of funding CAB offices deal with limited issues. In the past they've assisted people with created debt management plans and sent offers of payments to creditors asking them to freeze interest and charges in return for much lower payments affordable to the person according to their income but they no longer deal with debt problems at all. They point you to stepchange (rubbish) or National Debtline but dealing with such detailed work over the phone isn't the same and more of the work has to be done by the person requiring help and often due to disability or mental health problems they can't deal with the lions share of dealing with their problems.

I have a friend in Cornwall currently waiting for a date for a tribunal appealing a PIP decision, she helps out at a foodbank and that venue has a welfare advice person helping people. I would assume that person is a volunteer along with the people who run foodbanks are though if they work for CAP at least their expenses are paid even if they don't receive a wage. Our area is losing its CAP debt advisor this year due to retirement and there's no replacement. If I had transport it's something I would consider helping with though I'd not be able to commit to be the sole worker as the retiree has been because with the recurrent depressive disorder my mood is a rollercoaster and at times I'd need to step down for a few weeks. I wish I could do more to help people, I hate the instability of my mental health condition, there's nothing I can reliably do.

All this waffle was meant to be saying that hopefully foodbank venues or many of them also have welfare advisors who can help people in Cornwall, as my friend's local branch does. Though I've discovered there's gaps in the knowledge of her local advisor which would lead to people missing out on much needed financial help.

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 05:49:15 PM »
Fiz,

When it comes to volunteering offline I am in a similar boat to you  >bighugs< Having advisors at Food Banks is a good idea.

Lankou,

I wonder if the closure of some CAB offices has to do with the people making the decision thinking the help online should be enough. It isn't but there might be an assumption it is.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 07:17:50 PM »

I wonder if the closure of some CAB offices has to do with the people making the decision thinking the help online should be enough. It isn't but there might be an assumption it is.

The closures are 100% due to funding cuts. There is a massive and increasing need for CAB with a big spike in need due to the roll out of Universal Credit.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
Lankou hopefully you can find advisors at local food banks, CAB aren't the sole source of assistance, they're just the most well known source. Your local authority should know the places that offer support and advice and should tell you how to contact them.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
Lankou hopefully you can find advisors at local food banks, CAB aren't the sole source of assistance, they're just the most well known source. Your local authority should know the places that offer support and advice and should tell you how to contact them.

I donate to food banks I don't need to use them. The local authority is as much use as a chocolate spanner it is their fault the CAB offices face closure.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 09:57:28 PM »
My council employs several welfare rights staff but they are very stretched , the downside is that the council either funds its own staff or funds CAB volunteers and half a job there.  A couple of the councillors work for CAB so are very derogatory towards the council staff , frequent comments of why should we employ you when CAB does it cheaper.   
The last annual report said the council service cost the residents 89p a week and had generated more than £485,000 in unclaimed benefits and handled £600000 in debts.  Yet every year the service is threatened with closure.  I think itís as much to do with the political persuasions of the ruling party how advice services are funded.
Cornwall residents need to recognise the need and lobby their councillors.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 09:14:23 AM »

I donate to food banks I don't need to use them. The local authority is as much use as a chocolate spanner it is their fault the CAB offices face closure.

Lankou, sorry if you misunderstood me. I wasn't suggesting that you use a food bank or need one, I was just saying that if you ever needed any financial or welfare advice such as the CAB used to provide, there are advisors you can see in the same buildings as foodbanks so if you did need advice that a CAB might have provided you might fid the advice there. It's not linked to foodbanks, they just use the same location. No doubt some people seeing he financial advisors are given foodbanks vouchers if their circumstances say so but the people I know in Cornwall have received advice from the advisors but not used the foodbanks there as far as I'm aware. They're waiting for their Tribunal date. They have everything prepared for it already.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 09:33:27 AM »

Lankou, sorry if you misunderstood me. I wasn't suggesting that you use a food bank or need one, I was just saying that if you ever needed any financial or welfare advice such as the CAB used to provide, there are advisors you can see in the same buildings as foodbanks so if you did need advice that a CAB might have provided you might fid the advice there. It's not linked to foodbanks, they just use the same location. No doubt some people seeing he financial advisors are given foodbanks vouchers if their circumstances say so but the people I know in Cornwall have received advice from the advisors but not used the foodbanks there as far as I'm aware. They're waiting for their Tribunal date. They have everything prepared for it already.

I am afraid it has been difficult for people in Cornwall to access help and advice for some time. (it is one of the reasons I am kept busy with "waifs and strays."

lankou

• Charter Member

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »
 >thumbsup<