Author Topic: Working Tax Credits disability element criteria  (Read 535 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Working Tax Credits disability element criteria
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 05:49:25 AM »
Bumping this up as my friend and her husband have their tribunal this morning. I will let you know how it goes later.

Their adult son has applied for PIP and he was awarded 0 points for care and 0 points for mobility. They're asking for a reconsideration and then would go to tribunal for him if that's not successful. Has it ever happened that someone has been successful at tribunal having been given 0 points for both care and mobility by the DWP? I'm thinking they're unlikely to be successful but I'm no expert.

In my view my friend's husband (so back to my first sentence, sorry for diverting to a different case in the middle) should be awarded enhanced mobility because of his regular black outs. I'm unsure about the care side as I don't ask personal questions. It's been a long 15 months since his DLA to PIP transfer and his PIP application awarded him nothing. On DLA he'd been on the highest level for both care and mobility on an indefinite award because he won't get better with his brain injury.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 02:11:01 PM »
He was awarded enhanced mobility and standard care. They're very happy. The caseworker who accompanied them is contacting their local council to sort out the disability element of benefits etc . They've had to borrow a lot of money to live but the back payment of 15 months of PIP plus 15 months of carer's allowance is going to be a fair sum. I'm so pleased for them. The stress of this for them both has been immense. I cried happy tears for them when I heard. I felt 100% sure he'd be awarded enhanced mobility because he regularly has blackouts but I had less idea about any care award.

Very happy!  >bubbly<

Monic1511

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 09:01:51 PM »
Hi Fiz
Good news and all the premiums will be backdated as well.
 >thumbsup<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 08:20:07 PM »
They received their letter from the court today and it said their award is for 10 years which is brilliant. Makes sense because the brain damage is a permanent thing. I hadn't realised PIP could be awarded for 10 years but I'm so pleased they know they won't have to go through all this anytime soon.

They're making an official complaint about the nurse assessor. They know of others assessed by her, also incorrectly and not just slightly incorrectly so they're putting together a file to send to both the GMC and the government with evidence of the stress and mental ill health it has caused many people.

Monic1511

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 09:30:14 PM »
Iím glad they are complaining about the nurse as these folk need to be stopped or drastically retrained.

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »
My PIP award was made for a minimum of 10 years too so its certainly possible.  It may well be for even longer than that because the letters actually say that you won't be re-assessed prior to [X] date.  In my case the date given was 10 years from the decision meaning that the award is for a minimum of 10 years but it could be for longer if they choose not to re-assess me at that date.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 06:45:24 AM »
That's really good neuro, I'll ask them if the wording of their letter was the same or similar. That would encourage them though I know they're already chuffed with a 10 year award.