Author Topic: Non-granny slippers  (Read 12147 times)

gammagirl

Non-granny slippers
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »
I've been suffering more and more pain in my feet, especially on my "good" leg, which is making using crutches round the house tricky and painful (I use my chair when I go out normally, unless it's very short distances).

Went to the hosp yesterday and they confirmed that is being caused by the ligaments stretching out over the top of my foot, mainly coming from my arches collapsing. I never wear shoes in the house as it could damage the flooring etc and my OCD Other Half has a no-shoes-indoors rule that isn't worth querying. Doc says that I should have supportive footwear on most of the time and is arranging to get fitted arch supports for me but I require some slippers or something to put them in.

Had a lengthy look online yesterday and found nothing but really nasty slippers :( They had the sort grannies wear in hospitals, but I'm only just in my 30's so not quite ready for that yet. I know it's the wrong time of year for this.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to wear to get suitable slippers from? or alternative suggestions. No slipper boots of socks as I struggle to get them on and also nothing slippy - I'm clumsy enough as it!

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Non-granny slippers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »
Could you wear something soft-soled, such as a 'deck shoe', that you keep only for indoor use? This is probably a good time of year to look for that kind of thing and they are specially made so that they do not damage the wooden deck of yachts etc.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »
I have slippers that can fit my orthoses (arch supports) in; they are ordinary slippers, not boot-style things - but they are supposed to be men's, which won't be an option if you have small feet as they only go down to size 6...

There are some ladies' slippers that don't look too granny-like or useless (among lots of fluffy ones that look like children's or backless ones that would be completely useless) - I found these... http://www.wynsors.com/marge-p-29796.html

gammagirl

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
I have small, wide, kiddy feet, so Men's slippers no good, and ditto anything with  ears attached that I can trip over etc.

Although, I'm about a size 4 and 1/2 but sometimes you need to go up a size when you have to put orthoses in.

Those are not too bad. Ta

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »
There were a few others that might be OK on that site; also Hurtyback's suggestion of designated indoor deck shoes is a good alternative.
I'm lucky enough to have size 8 feet so can easily wear "men's" slippers & boots. 
Also luckily, I'm not a "girly" woman, or I'd have some difficulty getting things to fit; my feet are wide enough to make a lot of women's shoes very uncomfortable even without the orthoses & I have never been able to walk on shoes with heels that aren't the full width of my foot, my ankles don't do that!

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:42:49 PM »
I have to wear some sort of shoe / slipper indoor, due to my drop foot, so i opt for plimsolls, not the old school ones, but you can now get a lovely variety of plimsolls, spotted, stripes, flowery, or if you prefer a pair of converse, they wont scratch wood flooring and are very "with it" at the moment,

I have plimsolls in many colours, but usually just wear plan white indoors, and they look just as good if you wear them out with Jeans or Long flowy maxi dresses, also the laces are good and wont let your foot or orthosis slip around  :-)

gammagirl

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:38:48 PM »
plimsolls sounds good actually, but not with laces. I can trip over those cos I really can't cope with tying them. That is part disability and part just plain uselessness and being cack-handed.

Any suggestions as to good plimsoll shops?

gemini20

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 01:00:17 AM »
Primark do some really nice bright ones,and they are very cheap.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »
Another possibility might be boys' slippers or plimsolls - most 13-year-old boys don't want to wear childish slippers but don't have big enough feet for men's... like these, perhaps?
http://www.wynsors.com/gusset-pumps-p-6672.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:24:08 AM by seegee »

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »
I have found that espadrilles work quite well with orthotics, and may suit your needs.  These ones from H & M are reasonable: http://www.hm.com/gb/product/98162?article=98162-A

I bought some last year from Next and although not very sturdy for outdoor use (not enough structural support in the uppers for me), they would be fine for indoor use.

My slippers tend to be grannyish as I need a fair amount of support.  My current ones are Padders http://www.shoes.co.uk/womens/padders/slippers/carmen_417_ee_fit-502100301/navy/

A relative bought me some boot style slippers that were tricky to pull on with dodgy arthritic fingers, plus they had very slippery soles.

It's best to take your orthotics with you when you go to try them on, as you may be surprised at the difference they make to the fit and those that you think may fit you easily, may not.  A trick I sometimes use is to remove the inner lining at the base of the shoe to make fitting both your feet and the orthotics easier.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 09:03:36 PM »
Next do some really nice plimsolls, or if you have a bit of spare cash, Boden have some really nice ones, but they are expensive, I have one pair of Boden (my sis bought them for me) lime green, they are lovely, as they are suede, but most do have laces, but i think you can get them in next with the pull-on elastic bit.

If you have time and energy try a trip to the high street shops, next, top-shop, river island etc and i am sure you will find a pair

Good luck and hope you find some nice ones as we dont all want granny slippers !!!

gammagirl

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 12:28:32 AM »
It'll be a little while before I will be able to persuade anyone to take me shopping in town I think. I don't have many people who can do it and most are boys who detest shopping, so it takes a bit of effort - I can't beg to be taken too often!

Plimsolls will be easier to find at this time of year. I'm torn between going as soon as possible and having a look before it goes into that end of summer sale season where you can't buy winter or summer things properly, or waiting until I have the proper arch supports so that I can see whether they fit in the chosen footwear properly. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions....

I'm annoyed about having to do this anyway. I have to stop the throbbing pain in my feet as it's stopping me from getting round the house, which is not wheelchair adapted, but, and it's a big But, I hate having things on my feet. Always have. I think I have weird shaped feet - well I know I do- the podiatrist laughed and muttered "interesting" a lot- and hence shoes were often uncomfortable and probably restrictive as a child as my feet are particularly hypermobile so can be used for all sorts of things. Anyway, I much prefer to barefoot when the temperature allows (stupid reynauds!) and I really don't like wearing shoes that much, which is odd, cos I love shopping for shoes.. .especially impractical beautiful shiny high-heeled purple things with bows on :)

happy8

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »
Or, Hotter shoes or sandals?     They are wide flat and sensible, dearish but well made.    A few of the styles won't make you want to shoot yourself.     

A good thing about wheelchairs is that if you are not going to walk anyway, it often doesn't matter how stupid your shoes are.    Who cares if they are ridiculously high, flimsy, silly and impractical, when they are merely decorative and not meant for standing up in?

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 08:23:59 PM »
GG

Can totally understand the weird feet shape thing,    >hugs<    My left foot is a size 3 1/2 and the right is a 5, so i have to get a size 5 to accommodate the bigger foot, and the left foot is the dropped foot one, and it is all misshapen!! the toes are all out of alignment, and the foot is a twisted shape, so it hurts a lot, even though i have barely any sensation in the left foot i can still feel pain, your podiatrist would run for the hills if she saw my feet !!!    >runforthehills<

Do you have a copy of the next directory. or can you shop on-line, ?? even if it just this once for a pair of plimsolls or slippers, as it really does take the hard work out of getting to the shops, which i also detest.  I thought us females were supposed top enjoy shopping, well i cant stand it, and get most things on-line, and only go shopping when my sis visits, as i really cant go on my own, i get all hot and panicky and it is hard work in a wheelchair.

I do hope you get this problem resolved

gammagirl

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 09:56:31 PM »
Happy - I looked at Hotter and they had these beautiful slipper that looked perfect, except completely sold out. Annoying. I like some of the shoes though.

I have 2 pairs of boots I love and a pair of summer-y but not that summery shoes that are all approved by the podiatrist as being suitable. I got told off for wearing flat shoes. apparently I'm meant to be wearing low heels, which is all very well and good but if they're not in fashion, they can be hard to find.

(completely off topic - I just saw the new meerkat advert - poor sergei!)

When I got my first wheelchair and when I realised they're was no way I could go out that much without it, I bought a pair of 6 inch high heels - not wedged, not supported, just high. They're comfy enough to wear for a while sat down - some of them twist your ankles into odd positions. They are so pretty :) However, I normally have to be on my feet a little when I go out so it's normally easiest to wear something I can walk in (with crutches).

sherbs - yes I can shop online but I find unless I've bought shoes from there before, it's nigh on impossible to get my size anywhere near right. Comes from having odd feet. So I guess I will do what I normally do and do all the research online and then go to the real shops with a list of what I want to try on. That way, even if I try the wrong colour or something I can figure out what is the best fit. I might be best off waiting for the orthoses

I am grateful for all suggestions - I hate shopping!