Author Topic: ESA50  (Read 8933 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
ESA50
« on: June 14, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »
Latest ESA50 has arrived today. My anxiety is already through the roof. I am telling myself it is only paper and an envelope and it can't hurt me but already I am thinking there is no way I could cope with the stress of jumping through the JSA hoops, applying for sufficient jobs for their criteria and going to the JCP and also can't manage on JSA money either.

The trouble is I have felt better for the last 2-3 weeks so it has caught me in a good patch but my mood is so variable and fluctuates so much that I don't think I can even begin to describe how low and desperate I get and get regularly. I tend to block out those desperate low times when in a well phase or it sends me down the pan again and trying to remember the feelings and behaviours as I fill in the form is not going to do me any good. I am so stressed.  >steam<

For today, the shock of it arriving is enough for the day and I have put it to one side. Last time I ended up scrabbling to get it down with hours to spare because panic made me just leave it, I mustn't let that happen again.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: ESA50
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
A mere couple of weeks improvement after months of misery isn't something that's going to get you back on JSA, Fiz - I don't know what your current grouping is, Support or WRAG, but have you got a copy of the last ESA50 you completed?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 06:53:46 PM »
I'm in the support group atm. I do have a copy of my last ESA50 from 18 months ago and I read it recently and it was reading it that made me realise that I have made big improvements. I get very depressed still, get suicidal and try hard to resist self harming when stressed or distressed but the anxiety that used to prevent me even going in to a shop has gone now I would say. I am often able to meet with someone for coffee although actually haven't been able to get to 2 groups I go to for the last few weeks despite better mood so I do still struggle to go places and see people but whereas it was never and I couldn't do it, now it is sometimes/often I can and sometimes/regularly I can't so the balance has shifted. It was that inability to cope with social situations I would think that got me the support group, so I am worried now that as I have improved in that area, I won't meet the criteria any longer.

My sw knows my mood fluctuates and changes hugely and I am sure she will write a letter saying so for me to enclose with the form but I just fear that I will be called in for a face to face and be deemed fit for work.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »
My sw says I'm definitely not well enough to work yet and she will write a letter. She says not to panic if I am moved from support to wrag group though as she has a few service users who are in the wrag and she has gone to appointments with them at the JCP and with other providers and none have ever been pressurised. I do feel more reassured.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »
...she has gone to appointments with them at the JCP and with other providers and none have ever been pressurised.

That seems to be the experience of the various VI members from our group that have attended WRAG interviews too.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
I now have the supporting letter my sw has written which clearly says what I struggle with. She has also given me a copy of my latest care plan which I should have had earlier I think as it was sent to my GP a while ago. It's so hard seeing my MH difficulties written down like this but I guess it means she does get where I am at even though often I feel I can't fully express it or can't talk. I think she does actually know me well now from a comment she made this week.

Anyhow now I have this I really need to settle down and make a start on the form, I don't want to keep putting it off and off until panic ensues like last time.

The thing I am puzzled about is when it asks me if I can do something in the physical section, what do I put if I physically would be able to do it but my MH conditions prevents me from ever being able to do it?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 05:40:45 PM »
.when it asks me if I can do something in the physical section, what do I put if I physically would be able to do it but my MH conditions prevents me from ever being able to do it?
I had a similar scenario with my own ESA50, relating to my difficulty of being able to sit still for longer than half-an-hour.  I just filled in the relevant 'physical functions' box anyway with the explanation of why, even though it was a mental health issue causing the problem - at the end of the day, it still adds up to the fact that I have trouble with the physical action of sitting!  And you can always 'expand' on stuff in the 'Other information' bit  >thumbsup<

Minniehaha

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »
A hug for Fiz ...  >hugs<

The thing I am puzzled about is when it asks me if I can do something in the physical section, what do I put if I physically would be able to do it but my MH conditions prevents me from ever being able to do it?

I had a similar scenario with my own ESA50, relating to my difficulty of being able to sit still for longer than half-an-hour.  I just filled in the relevant 'physical functions' box anyway with the explanation of why, even though it was a mental health issue causing the problem - at the end of the day, it still adds up to the fact that I have trouble with the physical action of sitting!  And you can always 'expand' on stuff in the 'Other information' bit  >thumbsup<

I've always stated my physical issues with being able to sit still for long (having sciatica) but it had never occurred to me that a mental health issue such as my chronic anxiety should also be considered.

I'll remember that next time I get an ESA50 ... thanks for bringing the issue up!

Monic1511

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »
Hi Fiz

you would explain that (for example) you could mobilise 50 / 100/ 200 meters (translation half a football pitch, a football pitch or two pitches) if you were well enough to walk but for the majority of the time your other health problems stop you from completing physicla tasks.

Good luck & feel free to vent
Monic  >bighugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »
Thanks girls, that makes sense.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 03:07:51 AM »
I think I've done my best with it. I'm feeling so tense and upset though. I just need to copy it somehow and then post it off. Now I just need to know their decision now so I don't need to constantly worry. What a stress this system is.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »
Now that I've sent my ESA50 back, what will be the next thing I hear? I think I will either get a decision letter if they have decided not to do a face to face or I will get a face to face appointment, is that right? How long till I get a decision, any idea? I'm just putting life on hold emotionally right now and just want this over with.

Monic1511

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:02:22 PM »
Hi Fiz

I hate to say this but it could take them up to 13 weeks to make a decision, it could be shorter but that will depend on the workload of the office that gets your paperwork.   I know its part of your health problems but wait at least 3 weeks before phoning the office to ask if your form has been looked at

>bighugs<
 >dontpanic<

Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »
oh blimey, I don't do phones. I shall just wait however long it takes. Thanks Monic.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 08:04:33 AM »
Just revisiting this thread as I am still worrying about the outcome, yet to hear anything.

If they do decide to leave me in the sg without a face to face could it be that I won't hear anything at all?

Also, how would I know if the ESA85a has been created if I haven't heard anything at all, so won't know when to request a copy?

I've also just read that another thing to ask for is the LT54 which is the decision makers report?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:13:20 AM by Fiz »