Author Topic: Simon Stevens turns me into everything I hate  (Read 19142 times)

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
Simon Stevens turns me into everything I hate
« on: November 08, 2013, 03:48:52 PM »
I'm so sorry, but I have to ask this.

Does he have learning difficulties? I'm sorry if that sounds horrible to him or to people who do have them, but I get so angry when he writes about how wonderful these cuts are or how Atos are good people. I want to bash him (verbally), but I don't know if that's the right thing to do. They way he writes can be so childish, and he isn't capable of a sensible discussion. I find myself turning into the kind of patronising yet ableist person that I've had to put up with. Does anyone else feel like this?

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Simon Stevens turns me into everything I hate
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »
Norrin >hugs<

Try not to let Stevens upset you. I tend to regard him as a bit of a troll to be honest - really not worth bothering with.   He'll never change your opinion, and you'll never change his. Your spoons can be more productively spent. >hugs< >chocolate<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »
Wotcha, Norrin - take heart from other Ouchers' opinions of him on these earlier threads:

http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=6642.0

http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=6547.0

http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=6397.0

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:24:06 PM »
I'd feel better if I knew whether or not he had learning difficulties. I didn't know until recently that cerebral palsy can do that, and I was trying to resist the urge to belittle him. He's a grown man and he talks like a child.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »
Sometimes it's just possible for a fellow disabled person to be a complete git, end of  ;-)

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »
I genuinely love you guys  >bighugs<

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »
Norrin, perhaps it would help if you stopped reading Steven's articles because it upsets you so much.

Why upset yourself when you don't need to?

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »
It's really because of the people he might influence. The Tories probably love him because he's as elitist as they are.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 01:47:48 AM »
Dunno about learning difficulties but (and I say this having met him several times) he's a very very strange person...

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »
He shares a name with the new CEO of the NHS  which cold cause confusion :-)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
Off the top of my head, in no particular order, I think he has...

* a financial interest in Atos that's not big to them but is very big to him
* a chip on his shoulder over Leonard Cheshire and Scope (the former because they withdrew support for him as a disabled rep at a party conference)
* a desperate need to puff up a career that's not as illustrious as he'd like instead of saying how it is, which is still something to sell at the top of his column
* a need to be in-your-face about things like his bib and helmet, which is very understandable given the flak he's probably had about them over the years, but not very effective as a way of helping people to accept them
* a disappointment that he's not getting a lot of responses, meaning he's trying to be more provocative, whilst not targetting his columns well
* an inability to put his ideas across in a way that people reading the huffpost expect, suggesting either lack of experience putting his views across that way or lack of aptitude
* an inability to or inexperience at handling the sort of flak you get as a columnist on a major media site.

I so very much wish that the Huffpost had found a better quality disability columnist or that they would have a second one to counter his views. 

I don't think that he comes across as at all sympathetic, whatever your viewpoint.  I think Atos have probably made a big mistake with him because he isn't selling the virtues of either the welfare reforms or their handling of the assessments in a way that will improve people's opinions of them, whilst getting the backs up of people already implacably opposed.  In particular, I think that he is one more little uniting force for a variety of people and groups that are coming together over these issues.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »
Before coming over to the boards I went through members applications and let Simon in. I do read Twitter from time to time so I know Simon does have a bit of a reputation but I let him in because everyone gets a equal chance here on Ouch Too.

Let's just see how it goes.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »
Fine by me. I'd stand by anything I've said concerning him. But I wonder if he'll ever realise that the reason that so many other disabled people object to his outpourings is nothing to do with 'bullying' or 'extremism' or anything like that, it's simply that we think he's wrong?

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
Discussion can be so stressful.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:27:44 AM by Norrin_Radd »

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 09:38:52 AM »
It is a bit weird that Simon has not said anything here yet.

Sometimes I think that the equality on the site throws people who are used to posting online in a black and white way because find it hard to actual discuss topics and risk changing their opinions about topics.

Not saying this about Simon himself but arguing on Twitter or in response to replies on a blog you want to be high profile does get the author noticed more than a real conversation here might.

Jockice,

it's simply that we think he's wrong?

Maybe some people can't afford to be wrong. I still hope Simon decides to post and talk more about why he as the opinions he does.

Norrin,

>bighugs<