Author Topic: Link to Work and Pensions Committee live broadcast of the meeting later today  (Read 3023 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Amazingly news at 10 (BBC) just did a fairly negative report on it....

Does anyone know who the dark haired MP was?

Fx

Click on each name for picture:-

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/work-and-pensions-committee/membership/

JLR2

I caught the early part of this before my medications caught up with me and started to have a bad effect which saw me throwing up blood, so following a rather panicked phone call to my doctor and being told not to worry about this but to rest my stomach I had to miss the rest of the committee hearing. I'll away and look at the Guardian link.

Had a short look at it, sadly it really wasn't saying much. Just as the Guardian's story relating to this committee hearing said very little. One thing regarding the hearing/meeting I ended up feeling like Dame Anne Begg was in effect gagging the committee, least Glenda Jackson and the woman sitting to Jackson's right and the thought that is in my mind is that of the Labour Party being ever so mindful of the fact that they intend to be much harder on welfare benefits should they gain power in 2015. When IDS retorted with his 'moaning' remark it should have been Begg who rebuked him for his remark rather than the committee member who reacted as many decent people would have to such a remark. For Dame Anne to simply ignore it seemed somewhat odd to me, actually she didn't really ignore it she very quickly sought to move things away from what was being said.

I think we are facing two political parties hell bent on destroying the welfare state in order to protect their pals in the business world where they, the MPs, are hoping to find directorships with which to fund their life styles post their political career.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2013 09:13AM by JLR2 »

lankou

• Charter Member
I'll away and look at the Guardian link.

The meeting is video recorded here:- (few seconds delay before it appears.)

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=14420

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
As Anne Begg was chairing the meeting & had a limited time (knew the length of the scheduled meeting) she did have to keep moving on to prevent the same question being re-phrased or committee time being taken up in fruitless argument with IDS (he's not going to deviate from his script no matter how often he's told he's talking rubbish & it's possible for MPs to send him more details later about the points they want clear answers to). 
If he doesn't send decent answers then he gets asked to clarify at the next meeting; if he doesn't answer at all I don't know what the parliamentary ways of complaint are (but direct complaints from a select committee probably don't go down too well with the party) as I'm no parliamentarian.

There are questions put forward by members of the committee before each meeting & the chair's job is to make sure they are all covered before the end of the meeting.  She doesn't think much of the welfare reforms herself but allowing the meeting to get stuck on one point would mean others weren't mentioned at all. 

She's not likely to be on the "front-bench" for a future Labour government - much too outspoken about things that aren't being properly planned to get promoted from a back-bench MP (so she probably won't be a government minister unless she learns to "toe the party-line", which she's not at all likely to do if she disagrees with party leaders). 
Letting IDS' remarks like accusing someone of moaning just hang without response makes his lack of skill & knowledge show; if you have to respond to a question by resorting to personal remarks it's pretty clear you don't have any reasonable answer.