Author Topic: Cards or emails?  (Read 2562 times)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Cards or emails?
« on: December 22, 2014, 11:18:10 PM »
I've been procrastinating and so have only just got round to doing my cards - well half my cards from the people who have written to me.  All are from people I have known for a very long time and who only communicate at Christmas, which is fair enough.

I wondered why I had not heard from someone who used to be a good friend, and then I opened my emails - and there is her Christmas letter.  In it is the usual family news and all the voluntary work she has been doing and how she has been nominated for an award by her MP.  I am not impressed.

Now I feel cross.  I think that I think that emails are for keeping in touch throughout the year.  An email without even a picture in it?  Half of which is boasting about how wonderful she is for volunteering!

Am I being silly?

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Cards or emails?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 01:24:27 AM »
It is no good.  I find I am still cross.  Not even a personalised email - just a general one that she seems to have sent out to a crowd of people.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »
It is no good.  I find I am still cross.  Not even a personalised email - just a general one that she seems to have sent out to a crowd of people.

>hugs<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
Ah, the dreaded 'round robin', now in e-mail form... I would feel rather disheartened as well on receiving something as impersonal and chest-thumping ("Look at me and all I've done!") as you describe, auntie.  The one person who does send me a typed letter version every year at least takes the time to handwrite a few personalised lines!  I wouldn't even bother responding to your so-called friend's communication, to be honest.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »
Auntie  >hugs<

I'm afraid that I do send a 'round robin' letter each year, it's that or nothing >blush<  If people have e-mail then I send it that way, otherwise it goes in their Christmas card. Those people with e-mail do get a 'proper' card too, not an e-card.

Sunshine

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
A Christmas round robin email with no pictures is just an email and if it is full of bragging then it is just rude  >steam<

Whether cards or Christmas emails are okay depends on whether friends and family can afford cards and also the age group of the people involved.

Last year I stopped sending cards all the neighbours I say hello to and kept it to one older couple in the street who have a traditional Christmas and so I know appreciate a card.
I don't have many cards to get so my budget does stretch to better quality cards than if I needed 40 or so then I would have to buy a boxful and the people I knew less would get the cards with two baubles on or similar.

I say Happy Christmas to All here in Ouch Too and on Facebook but not via individual emails usually.

>bighugs<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
Oh dear, my round-robin didn't get a photo this year either  :-(  I usually try to keep it light hearted but, for various reasons, that wasn't possible this year. I stuck to just a few, short paragraphs and an apology. I do hope it hasn't induced in my friends and family the same response that Auntie's did.

Sunshine

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »
Hurtyback,

Your situation is different because as you already mentioned people are getting a Christmas Card too and also you really don't seem the bragging type.
I usually try to keep it light hearted but, for various reasons, that wasn't possible this year. I stuck to just a few, short paragraphs and an apology
This sounds like the situation my Mum was in when health is poor and the news is not good it is all but impossible to write a longer letter.
 >hugs<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »
Thank you Sunshine  >hugs<  I suppose my reaction was prompted by a secret feeling of guilt that I had not done 'enough'.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »
I think I am cross because she has spent no time and little effort on her Christmas greetings.  No time to choose an appropriate card, no time in personalising her email either.  I would never do such a thing.  I send a card with hand-written words in it and also a round-robin thing to those for whom it is appropriate.  Since it is done on the computer I personalise the round-robin for each person.  She seems to have plenty of time to do her volunteering (and telling the MP about it) but none for her friends.

She also mentioned 'the band I am in' as though I was not aware of that.  Well I introduced her to that band because I used to be in it. I left a long time after she joined.  And I am still in touch with the band organiser.

I think that Kizzy is right.  I have not seen this family for a while and I think it is time to stop sending a card now.

Hurty your friends will understand what sort of year you have had and they know you from the past.  They will be pleased to hear from you.   >hugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »
I think that Kizzy is right.  I have not seen this family for a while and I think it is time to stop sending a card now.

I think that's a wise decision. Time and energy are too precious to spend on those who won't reciprocate.  >hugs<

I suppose my reaction was prompted by a secret feeling of guilt that I had not done 'enough'.

There is nothing for you to feel guilty about, Hurty! By sending both cards and emails to people you are most certainly doing enough.  >hugs<

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 09:55:45 PM »
I send a card with hand-written words in it and also a round-robin thing to those for whom it is appropriate.  Since it is done on the computer I personalise the round-robin for each person. 

That is exactly what I do, auntie. 

I send a handwritten Christmas card including a computer written letter - and each letter is personalized to the person to whom I am sending it.

I also send eCards - but in addition to handwritten cards - not instead of.  >doh<

Offworld

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »
We always send Christmas cards ... except for this year when there's only been a few sent,
as my mother (who latterly lived with us) died in the middle of this month and things have
generally been rather difficult since halfway through November.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 07:11:39 PM »
Oh Offworld, I am so sorry to hear that.  Please accept my condolences.

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 09:41:08 AM »
Condolences from me too, Offworld.  Christmas must have been very difficult for you.  >hugs<