Author Topic: Powerchairs - help please!  (Read 486 times)

MEdawn

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
Powerchairs - help please!
« on: February 04, 2018, 03:26:20 PM »
Background - I have ME/chronic fatigue and currently use a lightweight wheelchair some of the time but still struggle to self propel it for more than 50-100 metres on the level.  I can walk short distances with a stick and currently don't need a chair in the house but that might change in the longer term.

I've been persuaded by d-i-l that it's time to start looking into a power chair which should give me more freedom. At the moment I'd be looking to use it just round the local area as I don't want to get a hoist fitted to my current car, but when I change my car next (probably to something like Peugeot Teepee) I'd be looking to get a hoist then.

I've spent a lot of time googling and I'm completely confuzzled (ok it doesn't take a lot but even more so than usual).

What I think I need:
Suitable for outdoor use as well (want to be able to take small grandson to the park and round the wheelchair path in the local woods)
Reasonable range - see above (and hoping to cut down on car use by using this instead for local-ish stuff)
Will fit in a car boot (eg Teepee) and leave room to spare for other stuff - even with a hoist
Small enough to easily get on trains and into my house for storage
Don't want a massive one but my weight fluctuates between 13-15 stone

Other issues:
I'll need to either sort out outdoor storage or get a ramp fitted to my front door as my shed where it could live very happily has 2 sets of steps up to it. Anyone please who store theirs outside on a regular basis (in a small shed/hut etc) does it affect the batteries badly?
New v second hand - obviously 2nd hand may be a lot cheaper, but as I'm hoping this will last a long time is it better to get a brand new one and look after it properly? Knowing a friend's daughter bought 2nd hand and kept getting stranded despite a guarantee has made me a bit (ok lot) paranoid.
I could use motability but will probably buy outright so I can use motability for the car and hoist when I change my car

What haven't I thought about please:
Obvious stuff or not obvious there's bound to be something I'm missing!

Thankyou for any help, recommendations (or anti-recommendations), etc

Oh and I live in Bradford, West Yorks - all the huge showrooms seem to be miles away and the small ones have little choice. I looked at the Motability show but if I'm getting one it has to be by mid April at the latest as I've a trip booked to London and will need it for then.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Powerchairs - help please!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 04:13:03 PM »
Prabs has had a lot of problems with buying a wheelchair and getting it sorted, so he might be able to give you ideas as to what to watch out for.  Hopefully, he'll see this thread.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »
Hi MEdawn

This is an old thread, but there may be a nugget or two of useful info:

http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=6253.0

Also, have you looked at this site?

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

MEdawn

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:20:38 PM »
Brilliant thankyou so much!

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:28:10 PM »
Of kizzy, that first link brought tears to my eyes, still missing Deb (devine)  :-(