Author Topic: Gutter crutches- experiences?  (Read 152 times)

AndMac

• Charter Member
Gutter crutches- experiences?
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:32:46 AM »
Hello all. Currently I use two sticks with ergonomic handles to mobilise, but I can only walk very short distances with these. I have a large seated wheeled walker, and a folding one, plus a new self-propelled wheelchair.

I bought cuff crutches a while ago, but the cuffs are for twiglet arms, which I donít possess. They remain unused.

Iím not massively overweight, though, and I am wondering if gutter crutches would be better for me. I would probably want to fit them with tripod ferrules due to my rubbish balance.
Anyone have experience/recommendations? Cost not a factor, if they are right.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

AndMac

• Charter Member
Re: Gutter crutches- experiences?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:46 PM »
My gutter crutches arrived today, and although I am a bit nervous with them, supporting my weight is  so much easier than using my sticks.
The end of the stick is narrow enough to fit a tripod ferrule, so I will be doing that. I didnít feel at all confident with standard crutches, and wasnít sure if I could use the gutter version, so I am relieved. They have red grips and ferrules, and feature reflectors on the hand grips.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:27:30 PM »
All the best with getting used to them, not a crutch expert but they sound good  >thumbsup<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »
It looks to me like the Americans have a different name for gutter crutches but I will add the video because it has some good tips for new users  >hugs<