Author Topic: Had letter to say they have postponed my assessment appointment  (Read 3520 times)

bub1

• Gold Member
Re: Had letter to say they have postponed my assessment appointment
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 03:47:39 PM »
This appointment is my 3 monthly check.
Also they said they would also let me know at this appointment about pulmonary rehabilitation that they want me to attend and about having oxygen of a night as my breathing is really bad then

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 05:40:05 PM »
Definitely worth getting the medic to evidence those aims in writing

bub1

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
Chest nurse cancelled appointment as she had not booked a long enough one to do all the tests so will be seeing drs on Thursday morning about hospital chest clinic.
Then afternoon at 2.43 esa assessment. My son is taking me and coming in with me as I cannot get on and off chairs on my own plus I cannot travel on public transport.
And on top of everything else I have the flu. So Thursday should be fun.

Any tips anyone want to give me for when I go in?
I canít remember much about my last one 2 years ago.
Also how long roughly when I will hear I know you canít be spot on but a rough time frame would help.
My next lot of ESA money is due 2nd February ( I am at present in the support group).

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »
I am sure you could postpone your assessment if you have the flu as you wouldn't be able to get there? I have only had flu twice in my life but on both occasions my temperature was sky high despite paracetamol and I needed someone to give me physical support to get from my bed to the loo, I'd never have got downstairs until I was getting over it and then it was a couple of weeks before I could attempt to leave the house, I'd never have managed public transport. If someone contacts your GP they should do a home visit and provide a sick note as evidence of the flu or they might leave a sick note at reception to be collected when they hear your symptoms and someone can phone and rearrange your assessment appointment. I really wouldn't attempt to travel with the flu, your temperature and weakness would be too much plus you may pass on the flu virus to people with a weakened immune system who have been either unable to have the flu jab or your strain of flu might not be covered in this year's strain.

You take care, rest in bed and keep the fluids up while your appetite is low. I hope you feel better soon.

bub1

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 04:56:20 PM »
Thankyou. I am hoping to be better by Thursday. I need to get to drs as the tablets I have can only be given once a month plus he may give me some morphine medication to as pain is not good.
My son would have to take me anyway so that is not a problem and I have had the flu jab but unfortunately hasnít been any help this year.
I do not intend to hang around if my appointment is running late I donít mind 10 mins anything more then they can reschedule.
At that time of day to my pain is normally at a peak as it is in the morning because my pain killers will be due at 4.

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 06:20:57 PM »
You might want to re-consider your plan to leave if your appointment runs more than 10 minutes late.  I suspect you would find that will not be looked on very favourably by the company doing the assessments for the DWP.  Its possible that if you decide not to wait, they will deem that you to have chosen not to attend the assessment appointment.

I know that its very hard to wait when you have pain etc which makes sitting for any longer than necessary very difficult and that the appointments should be on time.  However, I think you need to be very careful because if you decide not to wait to attend a late-running appointment and they take the view that you chose not to attend the appointment, this could have serious consequences for your claim. It might not be worth the risk for the sake of 10 minutes.

bub1

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »
What happens then if because of waiting along time my pain gets unbearable can I put in a complaint afterwards. Because of my pain I go straight in at the drs and never have to wait ( I am one of the lucky ones)

Monic1511

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 09:43:49 PM »
yes you can put in a complaint if they are running very late but don't leave the building until you are told that they are not able to see you, one person I know was having a panic attack in the waiting area so told the security guard they were going to wait in the stairwell, they were then removed from the building for creating a disturbance in the stairwell, ESA was then refused as they had "failed to attend the WCA".  That had to go to appeal & they will now need to attend another WCA.

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 01:09:39 AM »
Unfortunately, at the assessment centre you simply won't be afforded the sort of arrangement you have at your GP's surgery. For the ESA assessments, you pretty much have to sit there and just wait for as long as it takes to be seen regardless of how much pain that causes you. Of course, you should tell the assessor when you eventually go in what the effect of having to sit for the duration of the delay has been on you as that is relevant to your claim. 

As Monic says, its only if/when they turn round and tell you that they will not be able to see you that you can leave without the risk of being deemed not to have attended the appointment.  If you try to tell them that you need to leave because you are unable to wait for the duration of any delay, you are likely to end up in real difficulty with continuing your claim.  That will especially be the case in the event of a very minor delay like 10 or 20 minutes. I know that is a long time to you but in the world of these appointments, its nothing at all so it wouldn't be considered reasonable for you to ask to leave after such a short delay.     

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 06:18:09 AM »
I totally agree with neurochick, I think leaving so soon after an appointment time would lose you a claim. Bub, I would take top up pain medication with you so you can take something while waiting if the pain becomes severe. You're unlikely to go in on time if you're not the first appointment of the day but I hope any delay is minimal for you. The appointment itself can take anything between 30 and 60 minutes so you've also got a variable there too. Try hard to stay and get through this one with whatever extra pain medication you need and maybe apply for a home assessment next time. If your doctor gives you special arrangements to prevent you waiting then they can write that as evidence you need a home assessment but that's too late for this one. I think most people with severe pain have top up medication? I have Oramorph for mine though I sometimes choose to take tramadol as I find it works faster. My daughter has suggested I ask for a fentanyl nasal spray because I'm terrified of being out and in too much pain to get home, not having transport.

bub1

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »
Thankyou i will hang on in there I will take top up medication even though it will probably look like I am a drug addict with it all ( no offence to anyone).
I am hoping that I have a nice lady like my last one and I wasnít in there long.
That was after they had cancelled 2  assessments even one on the day.
I will keep you updated

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
Well done bub  >thumbsup<

I had a really nice nurse last time and the award was what I feel is correct so there are good assessors out there. It's just, they don't make the headlines. Obviously it's still natural to be nervous and anxious. I think everyone would be.

bub1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
I know.
I have covered every eventuality even printing off Appeal Form ready just in case.
Thing is my illnesses wonít get better and are deteriorating all the time.
What employer would employ me when I phone in every day and say I canít work plus are they going to help me on and off chairs every 10 -15 mins and come to the disabled toilet with me because I do not have strength in my hands to pull myself up plus I need help getting in and out if a car.
Sorry to go on. ☺️ These are just some of the things I canít do.
There is someone at home with me all the time.
I will also be putting in for PIP.
Thankyou

bub1

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 08:35:10 AM »
Had assessment yesterday 25th.
Waited half hour before being seen.
Was only with assessor for half hour I know I was as my son was with me and he timed it.
Plus if I go to appeal I have a witness just a waiting game now.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
Well done bub   >x-fingers<