Author Topic: Sailing yachts around the world.  (Read 4044 times)

Prabhakari

Re: Sailing yachts around the world.
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2018, 01:27:44 AM »
The wind is blowing at around 19 knots just now. It is blowing from the South, which makes heading direct to Perth not possible. At the moment I am heading south, as close-hauled as possible. Still managing more than 6 knots. Unless the conditions change, my best option is to sail below Perth, and then sail towards Perth from below the latitude of the city.

There has been a tsunami warning for the area around Papua New Guinea, due to a big earthquake.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Prabhakari

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »
Another day. More change in the weather. It is still coming from the same direction but is now 14.5 knots True wind speed. The sky is overcast with some blue spots, through which the sun shines on an ocean that has long swell waves. The reason is due to a big storm in the Southern Ocean.

It helps to watch for swell waves, as they show that a storm is somewhere near. Thanks to weather apps for sailors I know where the storms are. The sea just south of Australia is well-known for its storms. Just like the Cape of Good Hope. The sea today is a dark-blue with whitecaps, and the wind makes the rigging sing. The sea has its own songs. I have not seen any whales or dolphins yet. I saw plenty of them in the Atlantic. A whale surfacing makes a  loud noise that makes it feel as though the boat has been hit. The dolphins like to swim just in front, weaving back and forth as they swim. They never hit the boat, their swimming being so accurate. The most I saw were 11 of them, but I have seen film on U Tube that shows many hundreds of them.

Prabhakari

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »
I have just seen the forecast for my sea area for today. It looks like the winds are going to hold, so I will make progress to Perth. When I get to Sydney, my voyage will be half-done, and from then on, Wanderer III will be homeward bound, and I shall have done something I long dreamed of. To sail alone around the world.

The route is one that has been sailed by many others. As the sim does not include the Panama Canal yet, I will return via Cape Horn. Then upwards to Florida and across the Atlantic to the English Channe, through the Dover Straits and on to Norfolk. All dependent on the weather, of course. And my health. I can only hope to make it.

Prabhakari

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2018, 01:09:53 PM »
It is after 1906 in the evening, off the Coast of West Australia. The moon is full and shining from the East. Rather low on the horizon just now. Still sailing close-hauled into the wind. Not much sail-trimming needed.

Prabhakari

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2018, 04:46:35 PM »
It is blowing a strong gale now. Apparent wind speed is 24.4 knots, so the mainsail has a reef and the genoa is furled to 50 percent. Still sailing as close to the wind as possible, without losing sailing speed. It means sailing away from where I actually want to go, but that is part of sailing.

Eric and Susan Hiscock had an invitation to stop at an island for a visit to friends they made while sailing around the world, but because of the wind direction they were unable to do it and had to miss the island. I have had the same experience while sailing. It helps to be flexible, and not to have a fixed sailing plan.

Glad to have the weather, although it makes for 'interesting sailing'. Light winds are no fun. At least today, we have satelite weather reports, so there is a chance that one can avoid the extremes. I knew was coming in the Caribbean, so got out of there before the hurricanes arrived. I knew that they were going to be very bad.... and so they were.

Prabhakari

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2018, 10:30:55 PM »
Winds still blowing well. Have reached roughly half-way down the Western side of Australia. I decided to make for the Australian Coast. It will be nice to see land. Moon above the stern, lighting up the adgitated waters. So Wanderer  sails on.

Prabhakari

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »
I like simulators. They have allowed me to learn many skills that, as a housebound person, I would never have learned without a computer. One advantage of sims is the ablitily to change whatever one is operating to something else.
Sailing sims are like this. Sailaway has a range of yachts. A favourite of mine is the Norwegian Volkboot. It has now been given full sail controls. This being so, I have swapped the 38 cruiser for the smaller, wooden boat. It is called 'Wanderer I'. I placed it in the same area as the larger boat.

The hull and cabin are painted white, and I have changed the sails to red/brown.
Slowly sailng south. Might spot a Great White Shark. They are in the news just now.

Been bit ill. Glad I am not Really on a small boat. It would be tricky.

Being peace, Prabhakari. >wheelchair<

Prabhakari

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »
The winds are coming off the land, from the East, so it looks like I shall have to sail below Perth in order to make for the harbour from the South. AS there are some days to go, it may all be different by then. Meanwhle it is after 23:30, local time and very dark. I think the clouds must be thick.

Plenty of water under the Keel Just now the measured depth is more than 16900 feet. A good depth for sharks and whales. All that is between me and that is a thin hull, made of wood. Years ago, I read of a family who were sailing in these waters when their wooden boat was charged and sunk by Orcas. They had a minute to abandon the yacht and get into a rubber raft. It became an epic of survival for the parents and children.

With metta to all who sail, Prabhakari.  >wheelchair<

Prabhakari

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2018, 02:14:40 AM »
Just passing Shark Bay to port. It was a refueling stop for ships and submarines during the war.

Prabhakari

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2018, 02:22:28 AM »
I have just spotted a whale. It has been some time since I saw them. Off the gold coast of Africa was the last time. We are in deep waters so I was expecting this.

Prabhakari

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
Sun is nearly set off Chinese coast. Nearly setting here, off Australia.

My current postion is:

S24.51
E104.34

Local time is 1803.
Wind is around 11 knots. Sailing close-hauled towards the land on 99 degrees. True course, due to current and drift is 104 degrees. As the Nordic Volkboot is made of wood, it is lighter and has a drop-keel. This means it does not grip the water as well as a larger yacht. It is a lovely little yacht to sail. It has a cabin.

I was able to row once, and the clinker was my favourite for rowing. That is something I miss, although it may be as well that I cannot see how things have changed. The man from whom I got the boat from, in order to row is probably dead by now. The boats he had may not be there anymore. So no rowing to the small, secret places on the Broads that I once knew.

Doing 5.3 knots just now. True wind is around 12 knots max. It will be dark soon, and then I shall depend on the G.P.S. to know where I am.

It is time for a hot drink. As I cannot have sugar, I do not drink tea now. Just coffee and cold drinks. Malt drinks when I have got them.
Do any of you have a craving for fruit drinks? I did during the night, so had three glasses of Apple High juice.

I wish you all a good day today. With metta, Prabhakari.  >wheelchair<

Prabhakari

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2018, 07:08:10 PM »
It is a lovely night. Sailing straight to the Moon on a silver road to heaven.
It is now waning, but is still half, so has plenty of light. There is a special magic to sailing at night. Out here there is no light pollution so all the stars are shining. I used to visit my parents in my electric wheelchair, and would come home in the winter, with a hard frost and a full moon that lit the fields. At  such times, while seeing shooting stars blazing briefly in the night, I had no problem in imagining Old Shuck, the demon dog of Norfolk.

>wheelchair<

Prabhakari

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2018, 03:24:48 PM »
One thing about sailing is seeing how big Australia is,  compared to Great Britain.

Prabhakari

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2018, 01:52:52 AM »
I just decided to set course for the coast, as I am several miles out. I do not think that the land will mask the wind, as there is a strong storm system in the South, which is driving the wind. The wind-flow is curved by the shape of the land on the Western coast. I will still need to tack to gain Perth, but I have to stop to make repairs to the boat; to get fresh water and supplies for the next leg.

Listening to Finlandia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5zg_af9b8c
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:05:29 AM by Prabhakari »

Prabhakari

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2018, 01:55:58 AM »
Closing in on Shark Bay.
Weather good. Swell from south is large but not a problem.
Doing around 5 knots.
Distance to Bay is about 500 nautical miles.
Depth under keel is around 16200 feet.
Some new sailors have been excited by seeing their first whales..
55133 nm. The distance I have sailed since June, last year.

I could wish for better sight, but nothing lasts.