Author Topic: Sailing yachts around the world.  (Read 3679 times)

Prabhakari

Re: Sailing yachts around the world.
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2018, 03:24:38 PM »
I am sailing about 100 nautical miles off the S.W. corner of Australia, doing 5.5 knots. Heading is 162 degrees, but course over the ground is 166 degrees. There is about 4100 feet below the keel. True wind speed is 9.2 knots. Apparent Wind Speed is 12.7 knots.from 40 degrees.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Prabhakari

« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2018, 03:27:04 PM »
It is nearing 22:25 with a clear sky, but no Moon. The stars are visible. Just think that one is seeing the distant past in their light.

Prabhakari

« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »
it is gone three in the morning and the sky is set in a huge number of stars. A wonderful sight. Enough to make one want to go to Mars.   >looking through a telescope<

Prabhakari

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »
Set course for Tasmania. Winds are as I expected.  There is a huge whirlpool of wind. If I follow the outer edge, I should have favourable winds all the way there.

Prabhakari

« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2018, 01:41:28 AM »
Another day. Sea conditions good, with long, slow rolling waves that the boat moves over with ease.
Sea deep-blue with a lot of white foam. This is an area where Orca's might be seen. They have attacked wooden boats and sunk them, so it may not be a good thing to see them nearby. I have prepared for an attack, and the life-raft is prepared. The emergency beacon has been tested. I will be glad to get to Tasmania. From there I can sail further North, and reduce the danger.

Doing just over 5 knots. Gentle sailing, so I have time to relax and do some reading. Flying fish are about. They seem to be attracted by my navigation lights.

Prabhakari

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2018, 03:47:49 AM »
I am sailing across to Tasmania with a good wind. Long, rolling watery hills make this sailing at its best. I could have used a fast racing yacht, but I much prefer the small Nordic yacht. It is more likely that had I been able to do real sailing, it is the kind of boat I would have had. It is not fast and never can be, but I am not in a hurry.
Being so far from home is strange. If it were real, I would be totally cut off from the world. It would be like going on a solitary retreat for a while. I have been on retreat, and the feeling of tranquility is a rare experience, but one that brings serenity and there is no stress. Just the voice of the silence.

Prabhakari

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »
Moving at over 6 knots in a stern wind of more than 24 knots. Very dark. No light to see with. This is a weakness of this sim. Unless the skies are clear and a Moon is showing, the only way to adjust sails is by using the trim tab.

Prabhakari

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »
I have been talking to a small group who have just set sail, on a trip round the world. They are still ih CAnadian waters, out of Vancouver.

Prabhakari

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2018, 11:36:47 PM »
Dawn has arrived. A deep purple that turns red and then gold. So does the sun appear over the horizon.
Nice stern wind that is pushing  the boat over the rolling waters. It is wet, with spray. I am happy.

Prabhakari

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2018, 11:55:10 PM »
815 nm to the entrance to Hobart. Will soon be there with the current wind. Drift is slight with a following  wind.

Prabhakari

« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2018, 12:40:44 AM »
The rollers are huge. A wall of water moving towards the stern of the boat. Yet the boat rises... and drops into the trough. If this was real, I might befrightened. At least it is light now, so I can see what is happening. Small boats ride the seas more easily than large vessels; like a bottle that is corked. All the hatches are firmly closed. The cockpit is self-draining.

Prabhakari

« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »
Not been able to attend to sailing as much as I would like.
Auto sailing keeps failing to work, so I have made no progress while the computer is off.

It is early night off Australia. The wind is doing nearly 25 knots from the stern. It is what I had planned. So we are doing more than 6 knots, which is good for such a small yacht. If I had been sailing the fast cruiser, my speed would be much greater. 20 or more knots is likely.l

I will keep the sim running in the background if I can.

There is good news with regard to the way the world looks. The sole programmer is working on a world editor, which means that anyone wll be able to add structures and land textures. This will be available to anyone to download and add to the sim. The world is too big for one man to do this, so it is being made open to all who use the sim.

Prabhakari

« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2018, 01:23:31 AM »
Powerful stern wind; more than 30 knots.
Big, following seas, lots of spray.
Nearing Tasmania.

Prabhakari

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2018, 01:25:59 PM »
Been to Hobart, Tasmania.
It has a good harbour,, with plenty of shelter there. The bottom of the island is ragged, with deep inlets. Now on the way north to Sydney. Wind still strong. My little yacht is racing along through the night, with the wind shrieking in the rigging. Lots of spray; rather wet.

When I get to Sydney, I shall be homeward bound, across the Pacific, round Cape Horn and Northward, across the Atlantic and the English Channel.

Prabhakari

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
'Wind light. Clear sky. Moon bright so night is not dark.
Heading slightly away from land so I can catch the wind. Land deadens the wind.
/