Author Topic: So cold..  (Read 1230 times)

SteveX

So cold..
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »
Its bitter here atm and even though I've been up over 2 hours, my room temp is still 6c,  I'm beginning to wonder if I'm at risk of hypothermia.  >hatandscarf<

Member of POMMAS

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: So cold..
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
Yes, you are unless you've got an overactive thyroid to keep you warm.

If you can't get your room warmer, keep getting the hot drinks in if you can, don't feel shy to wear gloves, hat, coat etc. indoors if it helps.  If you've a hot water bottle, it's not just for bed.  Ditto blankets. 

Seriously, I've had hypothermia twice in the army, where we always took it very seriously.  You don't have to be a bedridden granny in a house at -5C to get it.

I can't remember how you are physically, but if you can, move around as well.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SteveX

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:37:39 AM »
Thanks for the tips Sunny!
Member of POMMAS

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:52:52 AM »
This isn't directly a news item so much as a personal experience, so moved to Talk - definitely could be disability relevant!

Steve, 6c is pretty grim, I thought my place was very cold at 11C first thing this morning...

Definitely back Sunny's suggestions, especially regarding hot drink (and food for that matter - have you any soup, for instance?) plus the trusty hot water bottle for some good 'local' heat!  I never go to bed without one in the winter months..

>edit to clarify reason for moving thread
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:58:06 AM by KizzyKazaer »

SteveX

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »
Sorry Kizzy, my fault. oops.
Member of POMMAS

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:24:03 PM »
Don't worry, Steve, Kizzy's just keeping herself warm by staying active tidying up the board!
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »
Can anyone who has problems with the cold just heat one room? (Hypothermia is a risk when the room temperature falls below 18C.)

Suggested reading:-

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypothermia/

Hypothermia is a dangerous drop in body temperature below 35C (95F). Normal body temperature is around 37C (98.6F).

Hypothermia can be serious if not treated quickly. You should call 999 and give first aid if you notice signs of hypothermia.

Symptoms of hypothermia

Early signs of hypothermia include:
•shivering
•cold and pale skin
•slurred speech
•fast breathing
•tiredness
•confusion

These are symptoms of mild hypothermia, where someone's body temperature is between 32C and 35C.

If their temperature drops to 32C or lower, they'll usually stop shivering completely and may pass out.

This is a sign that their condition is getting worse and emergency medical help is needed.

Hypothermia in babies

Babies with hypothermia may look healthy, but their skin will feel cold. They may also be limp, unusually quiet and refuse to feed.

Treating hypothermia

You should call 999 and then give first aid if you think someone's got hypothermia.

First aid for hypothermia

You need to warm the person up.

Follow these five steps:
1.Move them indoors.
2.Remove any wet clothing and dry them.
3.Wrap them in blankets.
4.Give them a warm non-alcoholic drink, but only if they can swallow normally.
5.Give energy food that contains sugar, such as a chocolate bar, but only if they can swallow normally.

If the person can't be moved indoors, find something for them to rest on to protect them from the cold ground, like a towel or a blanket.

If they don't appear to be breathing – and you know how to do it – give them CPR, but you must continue this until professional help arrives in the form of the ambulance service or a medical team.

Things to avoid

Some things can make hypothermia worse:
•Don't put the person into a hot bath.
•Don't massage their limbs.
•Don't use heating lamps.
•Don't give them alcohol to drink.

These actions can cause the heart to suddenly stop beating (cardiac arrest).

Causes of hypothermia

Hypothermia happens when your body gets too cold and your temperature drops below 35C.

Hypothermia can be caused by:
•inadequate clothing in cold weather
•falling into cold water
•getting cold in wet clothes
•living in a cold house
•being very tired and cold

Who's at risk?

Some groups of people are more vulnerable to hypothermia.

They include:
•babies and children – they lose heat faster than adults
•older people who are inactive and don't eat well 
•heavy alcohol and drug users – their bodies lose heat faster

Preventing hypothermia

To stay warm indoors in cold weather:
•keep your home at a temperature of at least 18C
•a baby's room should be 16-20C 
•keep windows and internal doors shut
•wear warm clothes
•use a room thermometer

Check in on an elderly neighbour regularly during cold weather to make sure their home is warm.

The government offers a winter fuel payment for older people to help them pay their heating bills.

See keep warm, keep well in cold weather for more advice.

To stay warm outdoors:
•plan your activity
•plan for the unexpected
•dress for the weather conditions
•bring extra layers in case the weather changes
•change out of wet or sweaty clothes as soon as possible
•have non-alcoholic warm drinks
•make sure you're never too far away from help

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 12:50:54 PM »
Nice find.  I don't usually turn to NHS guides to things, but that one's just what's needed here.  I hope lurkers see this thread as well as regulars.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 04:03:10 PM »
Don't worry, Steve, Kizzy's just keeping herself warm by staying active tidying up the board!

>lol< >thumbsup<  I'm very fortunate in that moving threads is probably the biggest part of my 'job', what with you peeps being so well-behaved and all  ;-)  And yes, this thread can be read by anybody visiting OuchToo whether a member or not, so  >tah< for posting the hypothermia info, Lankou!

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »
Steve

Please turn your heating up, are you on prepayment meters? your house is far too cold for you to maintain any level of health.

>bighugs<
Monic

SteveX

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
Steve

Please turn your heating up, are you on prepayment meters? your house is far too cold for you to maintain any level of health.

>bighugs<
Monic

I used a Calor gas portable heater for heating my flat and would you believe I had it on when I was posting that and it was less than 2 foot away.   It's just so bitterly cold and these flat are so very old, there's cracks in the walls and in several places you can feel the wind blowing through it.

I'm not too bad now though, I sit in my sleeping bag and wear my fingerless gloves, that helps a lot.   oh and two pairs of socks.   hehe, I guess all I need is a wooly hat  >biggrin<
Member of POMMAS

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 08:42:11 PM »
If you're alone and don't have a hat but want one, or you're with someone you don't mind seeing it, you can always use Y-fronts or shorts as a hat.  Even a spare T-shirt or towel round the head would be  ok.  After all, you must be a bit daft if you're hanging out on here with mad 'uns like me, so you might as well look a bit bonkers. 

Keep an eye on the functioning of that heater.  I'm a bit paranoid about one after having one run low on fuel and start spewing forth soot while I was asleep.

Gosh, I'm turning into a right fusspot.  It's not that I actually care, you understand, it's just that I feel really low right now so  Ouchers dropping dead would make me feel worse.   >whistle<

SteveX

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 09:09:25 PM »
Awww Sunny, we love you too, hope you know that  >hugs<
Don't worry about the heater I never leave it on at night.
Member of POMMAS

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 09:20:41 PM »
If you're alone and don't have a hat but want one, or you're with someone you don't mind seeing it, you can always use Y-fronts or shorts as a hat.

Thanks Sunny, now I have a vision of Steve wandering round with his underpants on his head...

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 09:28:56 PM »
Steve

>bighugs<
Monic

What kind of place are you living in, private or social?

How many cracks are there and how big are they?
I used a Calor gas portable heater for heating my flat and would you believe I had it on when I was posting that and it was less than 2 foot away.   It's just so bitterly cold and these flat are so very old, there's cracks in the walls and in several places you can feel the wind blowing through it.

I'm not too bad now though, I sit in my sleeping bag and wear my fingerless gloves, that helps a lot.   oh and two pairs of socks.   hehe, I guess all I need is a wooly hat  >biggrin<
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.