Author Topic: 'Britain needs to go on a diet'  (Read 302 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
'Britain needs to go on a diet'
« on: March 06, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43201586

The portion sizes of some of Britain's most popular foods are to be cut, with health officials telling the public it is time "to get on a diet".

Public Health England is targeting pizzas, ready meals, processed meat and takeaways, in a new obesity drive.

The government agency has also urged the food industry to start using healthier ingredients and encourage the public to opt for lower calorie foods.

It is all part of a drive to cut calorie consumption by 20% by 2024.

The target will apply to 13 different food groups, responsible for a fifth of the calorie intake of children.

This sounds all very worthy in principle, but is it too much Nanny-State?  Shouldn't consumers themselves (and the parents of any children who over-eat) be responsible for what they put in their stomachs?  Just about every food item in the supermarket now displays calorie content, fat and sugar content etc, so people can make up their own minds, surely?

And some manufacturers may well respond by cutting portion sizes weight for weight but charging the same price for the product, so we get 'less for more' - this is already happening and is termed 'shrinkflation', eg smaller chocolate bars or less biscuits in the packet but cost remains the same.  Really not sure about the Government's interference here...

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: 'Britain needs to go on a diet'
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 05:59:41 PM »
They're not stopping people from eating what they like, they just want to make high fat/sugar items to an individual portion. A hungry person can always add an extra side or something. I do agree with this myself, adjusting portion sizes in pubs/restaurants/takeaways will help people realise a normal sized portion which can be a good thing.

All you can eat restaurants need to pay a tax levy imo too except for salad bars like in Harvester which are healthy.

I do agree that there's a risk manufacturers of ready meals, convenience and processed foods may not reduce the price accordingly though.

I'm pleased to see the changes Heinz are making. I try not to eat any refined sugar and Heinz now make tins of baked beans with no added sugar and tins of soup with no added sugar so I'm back to eating beans occasionally, I'm hoping supermarkets will follow suit with their own brand products. Tins don't need sugar to preserve the food so none is needed anyway. I think this is a good thing.

However I think childhood obesity is only partly due to diet, it's often a lack of physical activity. Too many electrical gadgets to entertain them. Soon we'll have to be administering 2 hourly turns to prevent sores.

I don't think it's a nanny state, people can buy what they like.