Author Topic: That which does not kill us makes you stronger.  (Read 344 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
That which does not kill us makes you stronger.
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:30:12 AM »
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Well if that theory is correct I must now be very strong.
I caught some kind of nasty bug around the 16th of March. I quickly went from the thinking I was going to die, hoping I was going to die, to the please will some compassionate person shoot me stage very quickly.
What is still a puzzle is why my blood pressure and temperature remained well within normal limits throughout the next 6 days.
That despite my lung function being much diminished and my intestines going on strike for the duration.
I was also in severe pain which seem to travel about my body on some kind of perverse whim.
(This was all whilst I was on holiday, the bug came with me.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: That which does not kill us makes you stronger.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:46:50 AM »
Just playing with ideas - is it possible that the lack of increase in temperature is an indication that your immune system wasn't rising to the occasion either?  I.e. immune system spots intruders, raises the temperature for better battle against the bugs, wins the war.  If it didn't raise the temperature, maybe it wasn't getting it together on the other stuff it needs to do, hence taking a longer time than expected to recover.

Having said that, for all I know there may be other reasons for the temperature thing so I'm going to risk teaching my grandmother to suck eggs and say that if you usually check your temperature only when poorly or at infrequent intervals, please check it more frequently for a little while, in case your 'usual' temperature has dropped, because poor body temperature control/maintenance can be an indicator of various things.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »
Just playing with ideas -

Several times in my life I have caught something nasty that has resulted in zero rise in temperature.
I booked an appointment with my GP from abroad which I attended yesterday. I also had an armful of blood tests and a "fill this" "What, from here?" Yesterday.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 11:18:01 AM »
"fill this" "What, from here?"

>lol<

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Prabhakari

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »
Sorry to hear of your suffering, old fruit.

Mum would have liked the cartoon, as her department, until she retired, was the Pathology Department.

With metta, Prabhakari.   >wheelchair<
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:22:37 PM »
Something nasty has been going round.  So maybe it was just your turn.  But on holiday!  That was not good timing.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:15:25 PM »
Indeed.  What a piece of bum luck  >thumbsdown<  Hoping you're well recovered now!