Author Topic: Steroid injections?  (Read 1774 times)

JLR2

Steroid injections?
« on: 10 Apr 2018 07:28AM »
Morning folks, yesterday I had to see my doc because of a severe pain in my right shoulder which is made worse if I turn my head to look left even slightly. My doc has arranged an appointment for me to have a steroid injection next week as he was doing so he was saying something to me about these types of injection being uncomfortable for many people. For me it's the first time I will ever have had one of these injections, so if I may ask, anyone know about these injections and what I should  >erm< expect?
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2018 08:17AM by JLR2 »

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Seroid injections?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2018 08:35AM »
They're painful but the first injection should be local anaesthetic. Make the doctor wait 5 minute before you then have the steroid injection so the local anaesthetic has had time to take affect. I've had steroid injections but because my bursa was so inflamed and painful I insisted on IV sedation and in the end they sent me to a private hospital where I had the steroid injections done under general anaesthetic.  I needed 2 separate injections 6 weeks apart to reduce the inflammation and for the pain to go. I've been pain free in my hips ever since. I wish there was a solution for my back that could take that pain away!

Steroid injections are very effective but for actual bone joints the pain relief is often temporary and the pain returns gradually months later. My stepmother had steroid injections into her elbow joint every other year. She said it was "uncomfortable" but well worth it for the pain relief it provides. The good thing about the local anaesthetic is that you don't feel any discomfort caused by the actual injection for several hours. Of the several people who I know who've had steroid injections, one or two said it was painful, most said it was a bit sore or uncomfortable but all of them said it was worth I for the pain relief and they'd have another if needed. And a couple do have regular injections into the knee joint.

I don't know if that helps at all. Before I had my steroid injections I youtubed the procedure for steroid injections for trochanteric bursitis and I'm not sure how helpful it was but I like to know what will happen in advance and how other people react. I'm the only person I know who's had a general anaesthetic in order to have a steroid injection! But because I was in an operating theatre they used x-rays to guarantee 100% the injection would go to the exact place necessary which I wouldn't have had anywhere else.

I'm sure you'll be fine, I'm just a wuss.

JLR2

Re: Steroid injections?
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2018 09:08AM »
Trust me Fiz I'm far away more of a wuss than yourself. I tend to get quite nervous of these things and like yourself I, where I can, like to get some kind of idea as to what I'm likely to experience. On this occasion I was just that little bit more concerned as my doc made mention of this injection being uncomfortable.

I'd really like to have had some idea as to what it was or is that's caused the pain in my shoulder, might help me avoid me seeing me doing the same thing again if it's down to something I've done. I'm like a strange bunch of bones in that though I'm left handed I use my right hand for just about everything else apart from writing and hauding my ciggies, I even use my right hand when I'm boning a ham. Talking of boning a ham I did a ham a few weeks back and honey roasted one of the big joints I made a couple of days back. With my Berkel slicer working fine I'm fair enjoying my salad sandwiches wi'lettuce, tomato cucumber and a wee bit of mayonnaise >biggrin<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2018 09:59AM »
I've had two steroid injections, one in a ligament in a leg, one in an arthritic shoulder joint.  Neither was agony, indeed, both were at very manageable pain levels.

However, I'm sure a lot of it depends on your individual response to pain.  I'm in no doubt whatsoever but that some people experience physical pain far more intensely than others.  For me, the level of sensation of physical pain is primarily a matter of my emotional reaction to it, so once I reassure myself that the pain isn't anything to worry about, e.g. when having an injection to ease pain, it damps down enormously.  That's not me being brave, it's just how my brain responds to pain.  (I drive doctors and paramedics potty by saying that the classic 1-10 scale is pretty much meaningless to me as my brain responds to types of pain far more than amount of pain.)

So I wouldn't be worried about steroid injections, but if, your body screams pain at your brain and things like reassurance don't reduce it, then mine isn't the best advice on this.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2018 02:08PM »
 I've a few steroid injections, and, nerve root blocks done by a local.  On all occasions,  I haven't felt much at all.  I had my spinal cord stimulator trail done by local.  That involved a two and a half hour procedure having leads inserted into my spine, and, then attached to a battery in my stomach.  In April, I had revision surgery on my SCS.  That involved, a new lead, same as above, and, the electrodes removed and replaced.  In December. I had the SCS battery removed from my stomach, and a new one implanted in its place.  On all occasions I've been awake, and watched the surgeon do the procedures  Plus, the stitches afterwards.  During the SCS trial I watched it being done internally, on an overhead screen.

Unfortunately, I suffer from asthma.  Every time I have a general anaesthetic I need to be kept in overnight, and I'm on oxygen.  That's why I always opt to have all procedure done by local.  The steroid injections in my spine didn't work well for me.  I also found it painful for a few days  afterwards.  The nerve root blocks worked best,  Fiz could you not ask for nerve root blocks?  They really helped me.  JLR2 My advice would be to try the steroid injections.  They may work well for shoulder pain.  No one enjoys any procedures.  However, if they help with the pain, it's worth it.

huhn

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2018 02:40PM »
yes it hurts, accept for my boys, they feel no pain. but pain goes away and  you are better then

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2018 07:54PM »
After I posted what I did.  I hope no one thinks I want a medal for bravery.  I'm certainly not brave.  My husband thinks I'm an idiot.  I only opt to have everything done by local due to my asthma,, as I've already explained.  It's no fun staying in overnight,  hooked up to oxygen, and, having my blood pressure and heart monitored due to having a general anaesthetic.  I hate staying in hospital, and, want out ASAP.  It's made worse by being unable to communicate with the staff.  One picked an argument during the night, as she thought I was being obstructive,  or whatever,  as I couldn't understand in the dim light what she was saying.  After my accident, I vowed I'd never be admitted again,  unless absolutely necessary. 

I still think steroid injections are mostly good for those who have them.  It's afterwards that could be uncomfortable for a short while at least.  If it were me. I'd go ahead.  If the shoulder is painful, then, anything that could help, can only be a good thing.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2018 08:06AM »
Yes everyone I know who has had steroid injections have felt massive benefit from them and as I say my 2 injections have left me completely pain free which was total bliss after limping around at snails pace for months. I was fully expecting to be awake for mine. The bursa on the outside of the hip joint was twice the size it should be as it was inflamed. It was so painful that if a piece of clothing merely brushed past it momentarily I was in agony. My logic was if the pain is that bad for the lightest of touches then an injection right into the centre of the inflamed bursa would be too much for me so I requested diazepam via an IV. That would need an anaesthetist to be present so when they referred me to the hospital to get it done I thought I was going there to have diazepam and was surprised to find I was listed for a general anaesthetics. I've had an epidural and a spinal and a lumber puncture under local anaesthetics and been awake for 2 of my cesareans one of which was done under a failed epidural, I'd probably be banned from the board if I tried to explain how painful a cesarean was without any effective pain relief!

I've had stitches put in without even a local anaesthetic, I don't see the point of a local when a needle holding the anaesthetic is stuck in you all around where I'm about to be stitched in order for a different needle to be stuck in the same place without pain a couple of minutes later to do the stitching so I just say don't bother with an anaesthetic. The only time I've accepted the local anaesthetic was when I was having a large mole removed and the wound was going to be cauterised which I felt it was worth having a local for.

It's interesting your doctor has ordered the steroid injection for your shoulder JLR that implies the doctor has made a diagnosis of what's causing the pain and he's saying this is the treatment for it. Have you actually asked the doctor what is causing your shoulder pain? If the doctor doesn't actually know but is thinking a steroid injection might help, he's literally just taking a stab in the dark! But I really hope it helps. When is it?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2018 11:29AM »
For me personally, the benefit of a steroid injection in my shoulder was to give me enough respite to start using the shoulder more and not to be too upset about pain in it.  Addressing the pain aspect first, as I sit here, when I think of it, there's pain.  I know it's not a trick of the mind that I feel about it when I think of it, it's more like when you do a mental inventory of your body and become aware which bits are hot or cold, or which bits are comfy or not.  I don't say it would be like that if the pain were severe.  But for me, the respite changed how I perceived it and felt about it.

However, there's also the thing whereby if a shoulder (or other joint) hurts, you use it differently.  Shoulders can get horribly stiff, so a temporary reduction in pain can make an enormous difference to how much stretching and strengthening you do, so that even if the pain returns badly, it might still not be as bad as before because you haven't got so much stiffness and weakness.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2018 05:56PM »
That's why I was told off by the physio way back in 2001 when my degenerative disc disease was diagnosed. She said that I needed to take stronger painkillers and take them more regularly or else the muscles around the painful area will respond by tightening in response to the pain, ramping up the pain tenfold. I have to say I can feel a difference in the lack of tension in my back since being on strong analgesia. 

JLR2

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2018 08:54PM »
I'm feeling  bit more relaxed about Monday's doc appointment now I've a better idea of what's in store for me. With the best will in the world I hope the injection I get will be the only one I'll need and my shoulder pain will become but a distant niggle. Thanks for everyone's advice :-)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2018 10:45PM »
I just realised I forgot to mention something important - after you have the injection, don't worry about your arm falling off.  It can take up to 48 hours for it to happen, but one injection should suffice.

>run<

JLR2

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2018 07:32AM »
Nae wurries Sunny, ah've plenty o'super glue >biggrin<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2018 04:58PM »
Super glue?  I swear by gaffer tape myself...

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2018 07:01PM »
Gaffer tape?  I told you all that Kizzy's mad and here's the proof.  You don't re-attach arms with gaffer tape - you only use it to re-attach heads. 

Still, if you want to experiment, I suppose it's cheaper than surgical tape.