Forum > Disability Talk

Steroid injections?

(1/10) > >>

JLR2:
Morning folks, yesterday I had to see my doc because of a severe pain in my right shoulder which is made worse if I turn my head to look left even slightly. My doc has arranged an appointment for me to have a steroid injection next week as he was doing so he was saying something to me about these types of injection being uncomfortable for many people. For me it's the first time I will ever have had one of these injections, so if I may ask, anyone know about these injections and what I should  >erm< expect?

Fiz:
They're painful but the first injection should be local anaesthetic. Make the doctor wait 5 minute before you then have the steroid injection so the local anaesthetic has had time to take affect. I've had steroid injections but because my bursa was so inflamed and painful I insisted on IV sedation and in the end they sent me to a private hospital where I had the steroid injections done under general anaesthetic.  I needed 2 separate injections 6 weeks apart to reduce the inflammation and for the pain to go. I've been pain free in my hips ever since. I wish there was a solution for my back that could take that pain away!

Steroid injections are very effective but for actual bone joints the pain relief is often temporary and the pain returns gradually months later. My stepmother had steroid injections into her elbow joint every other year. She said it was "uncomfortable" but well worth it for the pain relief it provides. The good thing about the local anaesthetic is that you don't feel any discomfort caused by the actual injection for several hours. Of the several people who I know who've had steroid injections, one or two said it was painful, most said it was a bit sore or uncomfortable but all of them said it was worth I for the pain relief and they'd have another if needed. And a couple do have regular injections into the knee joint.

I don't know if that helps at all. Before I had my steroid injections I youtubed the procedure for steroid injections for trochanteric bursitis and I'm not sure how helpful it was but I like to know what will happen in advance and how other people react. I'm the only person I know who's had a general anaesthetic in order to have a steroid injection! But because I was in an operating theatre they used x-rays to guarantee 100% the injection would go to the exact place necessary which I wouldn't have had anywhere else.

I'm sure you'll be fine, I'm just a wuss.

JLR2:
Trust me Fiz I'm far away more of a wuss than yourself. I tend to get quite nervous of these things and like yourself I, where I can, like to get some kind of idea as to what I'm likely to experience. On this occasion I was just that little bit more concerned as my doc made mention of this injection being uncomfortable.

I'd really like to have had some idea as to what it was or is that's caused the pain in my shoulder, might help me avoid me seeing me doing the same thing again if it's down to something I've done. I'm like a strange bunch of bones in that though I'm left handed I use my right hand for just about everything else apart from writing and hauding my ciggies, I even use my right hand when I'm boning a ham. Talking of boning a ham I did a ham a few weeks back and honey roasted one of the big joints I made a couple of days back. With my Berkel slicer working fine I'm fair enjoying my salad sandwiches wi'lettuce, tomato cucumber and a wee bit of mayonnaise >biggrin<

Sunny Clouds:
I've had two steroid injections, one in a ligament in a leg, one in an arthritic shoulder joint.  Neither was agony, indeed, both were at very manageable pain levels.

However, I'm sure a lot of it depends on your individual response to pain.  I'm in no doubt whatsoever but that some people experience physical pain far more intensely than others.  For me, the level of sensation of physical pain is primarily a matter of my emotional reaction to it, so once I reassure myself that the pain isn't anything to worry about, e.g. when having an injection to ease pain, it damps down enormously.  That's not me being brave, it's just how my brain responds to pain.  (I drive doctors and paramedics potty by saying that the classic 1-10 scale is pretty much meaningless to me as my brain responds to types of pain far more than amount of pain.)

So I wouldn't be worried about steroid injections, but if, your body screams pain at your brain and things like reassurance don't reduce it, then mine isn't the best advice on this.

ally:
 I've a few steroid injections, and, nerve root blocks done by a local.  On all occasions,  I haven't felt much at all.  I had my spinal cord stimulator trail done by local.  That involved a two and a half hour procedure having leads inserted into my spine, and, then attached to a battery in my stomach.  In April, I had revision surgery on my SCS.  That involved, a new lead, same as above, and, the electrodes removed and replaced.  In December. I had the SCS battery removed from my stomach, and a new one implanted in its place.  On all occasions I've been awake, and watched the surgeon do the procedures  Plus, the stitches afterwards.  During the SCS trial I watched it being done internally, on an overhead screen.

Unfortunately, I suffer from asthma.  Every time I have a general anaesthetic I need to be kept in overnight, and I'm on oxygen.  That's why I always opt to have all procedure done by local.  The steroid injections in my spine didn't work well for me.  I also found it painful for a few days  afterwards.  The nerve root blocks worked best,  Fiz could you not ask for nerve root blocks?  They really helped me.  JLR2 My advice would be to try the steroid injections.  They may work well for shoulder pain.  No one enjoys any procedures.  However, if they help with the pain, it's worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version