Author Topic: Posting in code  (Read 1210 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Posting in code
« on: 12 Apr 2018 05:42PM »
On another site I go on, there were some comments about travellers that I considered to be racist, and at least one (maybe more) snidely directed at me.  Someone said no, they were trolling, which I wasn't happy about, but it feels less offensive than that.

But now they're posting in some sort of code.  I don't mean words with ulterior meanings, I mean proper code.   A perfectly ordinary message board is going more and more weird. 

I'm telling myself it's a joke of some sort, but if it is, I don't get it.  There are days when the world seems more and more confusing, and when it gets confusing, I get edgy.  I wish I could afford to emigrate to somewhere like Switzerland, but unless you can work there, it's pretty much a non-starter to get a visa unless you're a refugee or a billionnaire.

If anyone's wondering what I'm on about with the messages, they're full of stuff like this:-

dmdif wppg ceskkiw

djeiihgbs

cnbduyf8ed]#ncjd

dmkdnekde "

Maybe it's a joke and I don't get it.  I've tried feeding some of the words into my search engine but it's come up with nothing.  But I think it's a sign of the times that if you disagree about something you think could be prejudice or social exclusion, what you get is people talking in a way you don't get, like people switching to a different language if they think you're evesdropping.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Posting in code
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2018 06:08PM »
I come here because it's a nice supportive side with a little politics and some disagreements but very rarely any nastiness.

I could really do with finding another couple of forums, though.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2018 06:46PM »
That thing with the ] and # makes me think someone's touch typing with their fingers shifted two places to the right of the usual 'home keys' f and j...

A weird thing to do on a messageboard indeed...

>hugs<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2018 07:14PM »
There's something posted not like that, so I don't know.

I'm just struggling to cope with stuff like this at the moment.

Partly this was triggered by someone seemingly diverting unpleasant comments into something personal and since I posted earlier here, I've realised she does seem to have been deliberately getting under my skin.  I wonder whether I've unintentionally offended her in some way?

The reason I'm so upset about this is that I know that one of my  biggest weaknesses is around the area of not recognising bullying and not being able to handle it as well as I'd like.  I struggle to trust my instincts.  It's not just bullying per se, it's the whole field of taking advantage of and even sales pitches.

Let me give an example.  Someone knocked on my door.  He was doing some work on a neighbour's garden and offered to do work on mine.  He offered a price and I thought it not too bad but I wasn't satisfied with the interaction and said no.

Afterwards, I analysed it.  It was partly because I couldn't pin him down.  E.g. level up the shape of the tree - where?  Arm waving and vague comments about evening up the shape.  Level with what?  Arm waving.  Ok, what that was was probably he wanted to just trim a little bit of what I wanted cut back at the top. 

He commented on how there was another tree trimmed just right.  I told him I didn't like it done like that, I wanted it done differently.  A bit later, he again said that he could make the one tree he was proposing to cut into a nice shape like the other.

There was more, but that's enough to give you the gist of it.  But I don't know how to explain that I found it incredibly difficult to trust my instinct over it rather than either dithering or caving in.

This is very important to me at the moment because I'm trying to build up my sense of self-worth again after my PIP experiences, and it was fragile to begin with.  I have a sense that I want to look forward to a future where I feel a bit safer, and part of that safeness is to project a bit more confidence and it doesn't come easily.

So anything anywhere that leaves me feeling I've been attacked but that I don't understand how or why, and that people are laughing at me, makes me feel like I want to just give up, and it's been a struggle today to say to myself no, I can learn from this.

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2018 07:40PM »
Sunny.  I've read the posts.  I think they're just fooling around, it's gibberish, nothing more or less.  Perhaps they knew that you'd put it into your search engine, and, waste time doing so.  You'll not be the only one that'll  try to make some sense out of it.   As for the trolling.  There'll always be some on forums that enjoy getting a rise out of others.  Just ignore it.  They'll get bored with the post, and move on. Either that, or try posting on a different topic.  See how it goes on there.  If the ones that have upset you continue with it on a different post, then, give the site a miss for a while.  It's  not worth getting upset about it. Trolls enjoy the reactions of others.  If you become annoyed or upset that's exactly what they want. >hugs<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2018 08:08PM »
Sunny, you were right to send that chap packing.  If he was doing some work for your neighbour and wanted more work he could have put a leaflet through your door.  Who knows who they were.  If you need a local gardener go to check-a-trade.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2018 09:16PM »
I'm surprised the moderators of this other board allow that kind of posting, be it code or gibberish.  For instance, most places I've posted - including here - have rules about not using 'txt-spk' (that's text speak for those not in the know).  For sure there would be questions from me if anyone started doing that sort of thing on this message board!

Can you PM any of the mods or admin of the other site and share your concerns, Sunny?  Even if this silly 'code' isn't a direct response to you, it must be annoying at least a few other users...

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2018 09:19PM »
Allly - thanks for checking out the thread.  I feel I'm getting over-twitchy about things.  I oscillate back and forth between feeling I'm making progress and feeling I can't cope, and with our political leadership and 'austerity' seeming more and more threatening, I'm feeling generally touchy.

I've had several reasons to feel touchy when people raise the Traveller thing because others have previously stirred it big-time on another Archers fan site.

I find it incredibly difficult to know when I'm being logically aware of bullying and the like, and when I'm tipping over into what the psychiatrists like to call 'ideas of reference', i.e. thinking stuff's personal when it isn't.  And of course, some bullies use a scattergun approach, which makes it more complicated.

Could I say that I've been working through (partly with help from people on that forum) possibilities for future work. That's somehow dug up for me past traumas.  I have memory after memory of certain abusive people in the psychiatric system. 

The one poster seems to have taken against be but maybe she's just generally ratty right now and I've not spotted it.  She got heated on a thread about PIP, where she seemed to be saying that all this stuff about cuts to disability care is nonsense. 

I wish I felt more objective.  The irony is that I've dealt with two potentially distressing family matters today with good outcomes.  I wish I could deal equally well with different things.

I don't feel able to call the Sams any more.  Just one unhelpful response too many.  Not the majority, but I don't feel I can risk how I'll feel if I get that dreaded "Yes, but how do you feeeel?" response. 

Again, thank you for looking at the thread.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2018 09:22PM »
Auntie - thank you.  I'm gradually getting more assertive with asking what they will or won't offer.  Incidentally, he also gave me his card and again I got the vibe of "This isn't a proper business card."  But it's looking confident and assertive that I find so difficult.  Ironically, when I waded in to protect Dad from rogues, I found it easier. 

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2018 09:24PM »
Kizzy - I'm assuming following Ally's post that it's some sort of joke I didn't get.  I feel terribly vulnerable to attack these days so I'm seeing things through a defensive lens.  Someone else will probaby prodamod if it's not.

I did that with one of the earlier posts and it was deleted.

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2018 10:28PM »
More has been posted on the code wind up.  Someone is asking if it's A covert code, as they don't understand any of it.   (I agree with that,  as its gibberish). Then,  someone pretended it made sense, with 'what are you referring to?  it's all perfectly clear to me' That's a wind up.  Then someone else posted  ' I don't know, but it's clever.  You get to the stage where you want to say so much more but, it all comes out mangled.  Why not go full mangle? A brilliant idea (I don't think so, it's crap). That's from someone who is trying to be part of it. pretending they get the plot, and understand what the code is meant to be, , when they clearly don't.  Therefore sunny, it's all a complete wind up. .  Personaliy, i think it's rather childish.  They must know that some on the forum will take  it literally, or, feel ostracised over it.    As Kizzy said, it wouldn't be allowed on here.   Therefore. Sunny just take it as a silly sort of prank.  It's nonsense, and, nothing to get concerned over. >hugs<

« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2018 10:34PM by ally »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2018 10:56PM »
I usually pick up on humour.  I use humour to cope. 

I'm struggling to stay ok at the moment.  If I went to see my GP, he's got no miracle cure.  All I can do is to try to get back on track.

But that thread wasn't the only one to trigger stuff.  I've got too many memories swimming around in my head at the moment.

I wish so many of my friends weren't very ill or dying.  I know I need to make new friends but I don't know where to start.

My head's a mess.

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2018 11:11PM »
Let me give an example.  Someone knocked on my door.  He was doing some work on a neighbour's garden and offered to do work on mine.  He offered a price and I thought it not too bad but I wasn't satisfied with the interaction and said no.

Afterwards, I analysed it.  It was partly because I couldn't pin him down.  E.g. level up the shape of the tree - where?  Arm waving and vague comments about evening up the shape.  Level with what?  Arm waving.  Ok, what that was was probably he wanted to just trim a little bit of what I wanted cut back at the top. 

He commented on how there was another tree trimmed just right.  I told him I didn't like it done like that, I wanted it done differently.  A bit later, he again said that he could make the one tree he was proposing to cut into a nice shape like the other.

In my experience door knockers tend to be 1 (sometimes 2) kinds of people those people who want to save your soul (how do I know I have one? I might have pawned it), checking out you and your property to see if you are a good target for a robbing or to see if you are old (and easily bullied) or young (stupid and naive) to fall for a scam to give them money or card details.

Did you get rid of this guy without giving him anything of value? Information about yourself or hints as to you financial worth or how isolated you are?
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2018 11:32PM »
I think he's genuinely doing garden work.  He fancies himself as a tree surgeon and he said he'd take the cuttings away.  I just think he's not got it running as a properly registered business and that in doing the work, he'd be less than competent.  There was nothing on his leaflet/card to show membership of anything or insurance.  If a tree toppled, there'd have been issues with my house insurance, and if he'd been injured, I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd tried to claim on my occupier's liability insurance.   I'll happily employ a tree surgeon to do some work, and if a 'regular' comes round, they can do it, but not someone like that.

I gave him to understand I work from home.  He was perfectly capable of looking through my windows.  As one person put it when I first moved in and said I thought I'd been unwise to put my desk with computer at the front of the house: "Don't worry - anyone taking a look at that old thing will see that you're not worth  burgling!"

However, what anyone checking out my door and windows and looking past me into my hallway will see is plenty of evidence of a genuine alarm system, serious locks on the doors, a lack of antiques, very visibly marked property, and nosy neighbours.

(edited for typo - visibly  market property -> visibly marked property)
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2018 11:47PM by Sunny Clouds »

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2018 11:37PM »
I think he's genuinely doing garden work.  He fancies himself as a tree surgeon and he said he'd take the cuttings away.  I just think he's not got it running as a properly registered business and that in doing the work, he'd be less than competent.  There was nothing on his leaflet/card to show membership of anything or insurance.  If a tree toppled, there'd have been issues with my house insurance, and if he'd been injured, I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd tried to claim on my occupier's liability insurance.   I'll happily employ a tree surgeon to do some work, and if a 'regular' comes round, they can do it, but not someone like that.

I gave him to understand I work from home.  He was perfectly capable of looking through my windows.  As one person put it when I first moved in and said I thought I'd been unwise to put my desk with computer at the front of the house: "Don't worry - anyone taking a look at that old thing will see that you're not worth  burgling!"

However, what anyone checking out my door and windows and looking past me into my hallway will see is plenty of evidence of a genuine alarm system, serious locks on the doors, a lack of antiques, very visibly market property, and nosy neighbours.

Good.  >thumbsup<
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.