Author Topic: Refused home visit requested  (Read 1476 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Refused home visit requested
« on: April 24, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
On my PIP application form I stated that I needed a home visit and in my CPN evidence letter she also stated I needed a home visit. My appointment letter arrived today giving me an appointment date and time in the city. I've contacted the nameless assessment company (blubbed down the phone) and apparently my application form referred to an appointment I attended in the past so they've decided I can get to appointments. They said they could arrange a taxi but I said I have PTSD and cannot be in enclosed spaces with a male so I couldn't manage that, something else my CPN had written in my evidence letter, stating I would need a female assessor for that reason. They are now going to phone my GP surgery and CMHT to see whether I have ever attended appointments there before making a decision on whether I am allowed to have a home visit.

One lady used to give me lifts dropping me literally at the GP surgery door and she took me to my previous PIP appointment dropping me at their door. But 2 or 3 weeks back having promised me lifts to my GP as my appointment was straight after hers and said she had plenty of time to wait for my medication before taking me home again. She went off to the supermarket saying she'd meet me in the chemist. I saw the GP and was sat in the chemist's waiting for my medication to be prepared and she walked in and said she had an appointment at 10 and had to go and just left me there, she'd not previously mentioned any appointment at all. I was left knowing I'd never be able to walk home or be able to carry my medication so I burst into tears. A lady customer offered to drive me home and dropped me at my door. The lady who previously gave me lifts texted 2 days later apologising saying she just had to leave as she was stressed, I did reply saying how distressing I had found it being left somewhere unable to return home and had a lady not offered to drive me home I have no idea what I could have done. I also said I feel unable now to accept lifts from her because I'm frightened of being stranded somewhere. I did also thank her profusely for the help she has given to date. The lady hasn't spoken to me since. A mutual acquaintance asked me to ask the lady something she needed an answer to so I texted that question and as expected she didn't reply to me.

So the appointments I've previously made to my GP no longer happen, I have a home visit booked in for tomorrow lunch time with my GP but if the assessment centre phone the GP surgery the secretaries may say that I have had appointments there in the past. It's a long time since I've been to CMHT probably towards a year but I guess the secretaries there could say I have attended in the past.

I'm terrified that they won't allow me a home visit and they'll provide a taxi which will have a male driver and I won't be able to force myself in the car. What happens if I can't get there? And the stupid thing is, if I need to take this to tribunal, I will need to get there and I have to walk across the courts car park there too, it's not possible to be dropped at the door

I haven't stopped crying since this appointment letter arrived. I can see me not being able to get there and because of that losing the PIP I already have which will have massive effects on other benefits too. My CPN wanted me to apply for a change of circumstances but I wish I'd never listened to her.

Help   >crying<

ally

• Diamond member
Re: Refused home visit requested
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 04:12:16 PM »
Fizz.  Try to remain calm.  Speak to your GP tomorrow at your home visit.  Explain everything that you've posted on here.  Ask your GP for help.  If all else fails, insist on a female taxi driver to take  you to the assessment centre.  I'm pretty sure they have  some duty  of care.  If your form states your PTSD, all the other issues you have with your spine and MH problems,  and, they still won't accommodate you, get in touch with your MP.  Focus on how you can change the situation you're in, and, act on it.  Hopefully, things will turn out ok.   >hugs<
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:59:21 PM by ally »

bub1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 04:43:51 PM »
Fiz talk to your gp maybe they can ring and tell them you need home visit also they will confirm by fax etc that you need it.
I could have got to assessment centre with son taking me and being with me but based on my evidence they said I could have gone assessment (Atos)
Please donít panic I know itís easy for us to say.
Please let us know what happens with your gp.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »
Both my GP and my CPN said that I would need a home visit in their evidence letters fully explaining why. They couldn't have been firmer on that point so there's nothing they can do to help me. I referred to a previous appointment on my PIP form so they've decided that that past appointment over rides everything that my CPN and GP are saying about the here and now.

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »
Get in touch with your MP if you have time.  Or, ring whoever is dealing with your claim, and, tell them you intend to involve your MP.  When I worked at the DWP, if anyone threatened the department with their MP, they were dealt with immediately, and, taken seriously.   With your past history of PTSD,  fear  of men, spinal issues, and more, that's been mentioned on this forum, I think it's disgraceful they won't give you a home assessment.  All because you mentioned that you'd managed to get to a previous appointment somewhere?  How long ago was that?  If it was before your spinal issues, then they should take that into account.  Have along talk with your GP, and, CPN tomorrow. Take things further, you have nothing to lose. Good luck

Monic1511

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:34:29 PM »
Hi Fiz

This refusal of home visits is starting become the normal line taken by the PIP assessment teams.  You'd be best to get onto the MP and ask them to ask why the assessor has ignored the evidence from both the GP and the CPN that you require a home visit.  If they can ask that question it should change the decision.   The assessment provider are only doing this because it costs more to do a home visit than an office visit.
 >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:49 AM »
My letter to my MP should arrive there tomorrow. I've no idea whether he's in the constituency or in London or whether he can deal with anything in time to make a difference but I've tried my best. I can't copy evidence letters so I quoted them, the DWP can check my quotes are correct. The assessment centre said that it's the DWP who decide whether an assessment is needed and if so where so they're handing the case back to the DWP to see if they'll change their minds. I will ask my CPN to phone the assessment centre while she's here on a home visit. My GP is also coming today but Wednesday is her very busy day. She might have 5 minutes during working hours tomorrow. I didn't sleep last night unsurprisingly and I couldn't eat yesterday. My whole body is shaking and one of my eyes is twitching badly blurring my vision. I've taken oramorph this morning because the neuropathic pain was so bad. I guess because I didn't sleep I was moving about instead of relaxing and resting it, I don't know. This whole thing is a nightmare.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »
The assessment provider are only doing this because it costs more to do a home visit than an office visit.

>steam< and you have to go through all this extra worry, it stinks  >angry<  hope you can get this sorted  >x-fingers<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »
My CPN doesn't have time to make any phone calls for me as she's back to back with appointments today so she suggested I ask my GP who also came to see me today. She's also back to back with appointments today but has taken all the details needed so she can phone the assessment centre tomorrow.

I'm worried the assessment centre will just have sent out a new appointment date and time for me to attend the city assessment centre before either the MP or GP can contact them. Then as I can't get to the assessment centre I will have my PIP stopped, lose a massive chunk of ESA and be liable to pay some council tax too and I won't be able to afford to live.

My CPN says I've gone from this point straight to worst case scenario but she did admit my worries are possibilities. But having done all I can I am going to try living in the here and now and do my best not to think about it.

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »
I'm glad you contacted your MP.  Most do try to help those like yourself.  I think you've done all you can right now.  Take some time out, and, have some ME time.  Read a book, watch the TV. Listen to some music.  Anything to take your mind off the pip scenario.  I hope it all works out fine  >hugs< Have some >chocolate< As I know stress and worry stops you eating properly

Monic1511

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »
Fiz
I know you said you wrote to your MP, is there any chance of emailing him.  Their contact details can normally be found at theyworkforyou.com

The assessment centre are telling fibs when they say its a DWP decision re home visits, all the medical info gets sent to the assessor (capita or atos) they look at it and decide if an assessment is needed, then they decide if an assessment is needed they are meant to review the request for home visits, this is the bit they ignore as they don't want to do home visits.  it sort of goes against common sense if someone is so unwell that they cannot get out the house why would they need to be assessed in the first place. >steam<

if you get nothing sorted before the day of the assessment then you phone them on the day and tell them that you are so unwell that you cannot leave the house and they will either have to reschedule or grant the home visit that you doctor and CPN agree is necessary, after all if your GP & CPN can visit you then the DWP assessor can as well.  >angry<
 >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 08:03:17 PM »
Can I say that I'm too unwell to go to the new appointment then? I had thought it was two strikes and your benefits end? That's what I'm so worried about, not getting there or I could take all the tablets under the sun to deal with pain and anxiety and talk utter rubbish and make no sense whatsoever. Except I can't, because I can't physically get there.

My MP is the only MP in the Country to refuse to use email. The New Forest is a very wealthy constuency for the most part so his conservative seat is safe whichever party is in power and he knows if he refuses to use email then he'll have a fraction of the workload because people actually have to write to him.

I had thought it must be the assessment centre who decide on assessments despite them saying otherwise. That does mean that my GP will be phoning the people that matter tomorrow.

I wonder which assessment company covers this area. In the letter they address themselves as The Assessment Service which is a crafty way of avoiding criticism as they could be anybody.

Monic1511

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 08:20:20 PM »
Hi Fiz
in very small print it says "delivered by atos" on the front page - OK now stop panicking.

Yes you can phone up on the day and explain you have tried to leave the house but its not working - they wouldn't end your PIP claim if you don't attend.

Your MP (if I have figured out the right one ) does have email because all MP's have a parliament email address, its essential in all workplaces and he just isn't advertising it cos he doesn't want to be bombarded with contacts.

when is the appointment scheduled for?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 07:13:21 AM »
The appointment that arrived 2 days ago was for May 8th but when I contacted the assessment centre to tell them that I need a home visit I was told that appointment has now been cancelled which means that the next appointment I am given I will have no choice to attend or I will have the PIP stopped while if I choose to ask for reconsideration or then go on to Tribunal it would only restart if at either of those stages the DWP felt I should get an award. If that's true which it appears it isn't (do they say these things deliberately to frighten or upset you?) the only thing in my favour is my mental health is worse than it was at the 2016 assessment when they awarded me enhanced care and for the DWP to reduce a PIP or ESA benefit is to evidence that I've  improved since my previous assessment a Tribunal Judge told me and the DWP won't be able to do that because I am worse than I was in 2016 and have very good evidence saying so.
All the local councillors here say our MP is unable to contact by email. His initials are JL if that helps. My letter should arrive at his constituency office today so I assume his case worker will scan it and send it to him if he is in London today. Though if he does have a parliamentary email address I suspect he can pick them up remotely so I'd share it with the many people who say he's impossible to email. I think it should be compulsory for MP'S to be able to be contacted by email.

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 09:08:18 AM »
I'm not sure if this is your MP, or, if the site is helpful.  There's information on there that you could try.  Nothing to lose, as far as I can see.   Ceomail.com.  Good luck