Author Topic: Deterrents to work  (Read 329 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Deterrents to work
« on: April 26, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
I wish that some political power in the UK, be it in Westminster or one of the devolved governments would make it easier to do what work you can when you can without a whole load of hassle.  It used to be possible.  A few years back, I stopped being willing to do even voluntary work because I got so much paperwork hassle from the DWP over it. They wanted letters and allsorts from each place I volunteered, even if it was just a few weeks helping out a community group by drafting policies and applying for funding for them. 

To put that in perspective, I always volunteered when I was in paid work and continued in between paid jobs.  I'm not talking about workfare or similar: none of my voluntary work has ever been anything other than genuinely voluntary.  Over the years, unpaid, I've put in thousands of hours coaching children, thousands of hours on quangos, thousands of hours as trustee/director of various charities, hundreds of hours drafting policies, applications etc. for groups and projects.  I've done everything from litter picking to doing a significant chunk of the paperwork to set up a new community centre.  I calculated that hour for hour I'd given the equivalent of over a year's full-time work to one charity as a director.

And now I do no voluntary work.  For some time now, I'd been put off by the prospect of being migrated from DLA to PIP if doing new voluntary work was regarded as a change of circumstances, but now I'm on PIP, I'm re-evaluating.

I can't see myself even considering voluntary work.  All I can do is to work towards at some point doing paid work, supplemented by a very small private pension.   

Once upon a time, I'd have hesitated to say this lest I be thought a scrounger.  On here, though, I'm confident that no one would think that and that you all understand.

But in general, I think the likes of me are portrayed as scroungers anyway, so what have I to lose?  And if people like me don't speak out, who will?

I looked at some paperwork the other day and thought how if things ever got really, really nasty in this country, the way some of us that tend to picture the worst worry about, I've got a severe mental impairment exemption on my council tax anyway, so that's me for the high jump, and unless and until it ever gets as nasty as that, it's still worth telling people what's going on. 

But it's so utterly ridiculous.  I find myself wondering whether anyone could possibly sell to the Tories the notion that some genuine flexibility could be beneficial to them.  You never know your luck, there might be some sort of argument.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

Re: Deterrents to work
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 12:49:26 PM »
''You never know your luck''

I just think of the luck experienced by those of the Windrush generation who contacted the Home Office only to find themselves locked up in detention centres facing deportation.

During the last general election I asked my local candidate if any volunteering I might do from leafleting to helping folk to polling stations on vote day would be something liable to affect my welfare benefit claim? and was told, ''Yes'' hence no volunteering.

As far as I'm aware, just as in the case of the civil servants dealing with immigration, the policies of Westminster will be applied to everything without any degree of common sense. It will be purely black and white you are either unfit to work or you are fit to work. If someone is seen as having more than two working brain cells the overzealous civil servant decides, 'fit to work' till such times as claimant can prove otherwise.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »
It would have to be an argument that it would be a better way of exploiting people.  Sort of squeezing the last drop out of people who'd otherwise be written off.  The interests of disabled people wouldn't have to come into it in order to persuade the nasties.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

huhn

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »
oh yes,  i went  for my bad legs  to the doctor and i ask  can  i get some medis and massage and physio  and he  said, no need  you are a mother and housewife so  you can put up  your legs all day. it is not seen as a full time  job to care for 2 children with  handy cap and one girl  more on the weekend.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 02:44:23 PM »
If your country wants to keep the jobs for the men, for political and economic reasons, being a housewife is a full-time role; if a country doesn't want to keep the jobs for the men, being a housewife isn't a job, it's just a few minutes here and there in your spare time.   >steam<

I had a thought a few years back - it was a serious idea in relation to a couple of people I knew.  Person A1 looking after relative A2.  Scraping by on next to no benefits and not seen as 'working'.  Person B1 and relative B2 likewise.

I said maybe if A1 and B1 registered with a care agency, and A1 looked after B2 and B1 looked after A2, they'd probably be able to claim more benefits and financial help, leaving them better off financially with the added bonus of being seen as 'working' because paid caregivers 'work' and unpaid carers don't.  They didn't go through with it because A2 went into a care home, but what sort of world do we live in where that's logical?  I care after your parent or child and I'm working, but if I care for mine, I'm not working. 

huhn

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 07:20:29 PM »
you are  absolutely right. the other thing what makes me  upset is , when a man is not working and still when  they ask for profession , it is still what he done once, when a  woman  stops to work she is  called a housewife,  even when she is a lawyer or  brain surgeon. it looks like, they think  woman loose their brain when  they look after family. and on the other hand my father  said he does not like woman after one or more  years  at home to employ, they are far to independent and ask  always why has  everything done in  this way and not how  they like  to do it , even when they are faster and better with the housewife way.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 09:19:25 PM »
I think that that varies from place to place but that in many places that holds true.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 05:19:21 AM »
When I had a car and was more mobile I used to go to a city church where they feed the homeless a hot meal and a dessert every Sunday tea time. I'd just take plates from the hatch and hand them out to people at the tables and chat to them if we had time. I never declared that I did it. I received no money, not even expenses, I'd pay for the fuel to attend. But I was on one of 4 teams so each team would 'work' one Sunday then three Sundays off and even then I missed more than half of my team's sessions due to poor mental health so I was a pretty unreliable volunteer! I don't have the mobility to help them in any way now even if I do get a car one day.

I do think volunteering for up to 5 hours a week should be disregarded. If someone can manage 5 hours a week that certainly isn't proving they're well enough to do even part time work. And society could benefit so much from it.