Author Topic: We are reviewing your benefit claim letter.  (Read 272 times)

pjd

• Silver Member
We are reviewing your benefit claim letter.
« on: May 03, 2018, 02:45:32 PM »
Hi all,  I'm in a panic about a letter from DWP saying we are reviewing your benefit claim.  We will be visiting you at home next week to talk about any changes that could affect your benefits. 

I need to provide id and some financial documents.
It says if I miss the appt my benefits will stop.

I've recently changed over to ESA without a medical and now I'm in a complete panic that I'm in trouble or something.

Has anyone else had one of these?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: We are reviewing your benefit claim letter.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »
I remember years ago having something like that in relation to housing benefit.  The council was suspicious that my rent seemed too low for a whole house!  (It was cheap because I'd struck a deal to rent a dump on the cheap in exchange for tarting it up.)

I've also had an out of the blue letter relating to ESA in the past that turned out to be totally innocuous.

To give you a smile, Concentrix (who no longer have a contract to deal with such matters) were in the midst of a scandal where they were accusing single mums claiming child tax credits to be cohabiting with all sorts of people, including former tenants and dead people.  The most absurd was a number of investigations where staff based in England flagged up lots of single mums in Scotland living in flats above shops as cohabiting.  I don't remember the name of the shops but it was a chain shop that English people like me wouldn't recognise, whereas if we found WH Smith at the same address, we'd know that it wasn't a surrepticious cohabitation problem. 

The reason why I've mentioned the Concentrix thing and my housing thing is that if someone actually turns up on your doorstep, they can see that any allegations that you don't live at that address, that you're someone else, that you're cohabiting with someone you're not etc. aren't true.

A home visit also means that any documents you've got are to hand and they can look at them without them getting lost in the post.

So it's stressful, but I reckon a home visit has a better potential to sort out any problems than just an exchange of letters or phone calls.

Have you got someone who could be with you, or alternatively could be on standby near a phone in case you're distressed or struggling?
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 04:21:14 PM »
Hiya,    i found the whole esa form stuff very traumatic and now this is triggering me off again.  I'm not on any other benefits except ESA and DLA so it can't be about any other benefits.  I'm on contribution based so any bit of savings I have shouldn't be considered. 

il have someone at home with me but I think the DWP are hoping I'll drop dead from all the stress ha.

Thanks. :)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 05:37:26 PM »
I only know one person who had such a letter which she was very stressed about. The person came checked papers on income and expenditure etc and then left. She asked him why the home visit check had happened and he said the computer randomly picks someone for a spot check. I've no idea whether that's the reason for your check, but I do know they do spot checks like this for no targeted reason.

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:42:15 PM »
Hi fiz,   yeah I'm hoping that's all it is too.   Do you think my family should phone up beforehand to ask what its about?  The not knowing is going to make me feel so much worse than I already do with all my I'll health.   

I don't know why they didnt check all this out when I filled my ESA form out in Nov.  Also why do they need to check if my income and expenditure if im only on contribution based benefits?

Thanks,

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:55:29 PM »
Fiz is right that in addition to targetted visits they do random checks.

It's also possible that someone has sent a tip-off, and almost all those turn out to be things that can be quickly and easily cleared up.

But seriously, there can be all sorts of silly things.

Have you carefully checked that they're not accidentally paying you income-related ESA?  You're not in WRAG and past the 12 month time limit so transferred to income related without realising are you?

Anyway, whatever the problem, hopefully once they're there, it can be sorted.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »
Because if you're secretly managing director of a multi-million pound company and your income from that is 650,000 per year then you wouldn't be entitled to ESA, contribution based or otherwise.

If you happen to be such a person and need a paid companion on your next cruise I think I could be persuaded.

My friend asked the man about the reason for the visit while he was there. They'd not reveal information to your relative unless they are your appointee and I suspect the answer would be no more informative than the letter but without the threat of stopping your benefits which is enough to naturally worry anyone. I'd wait and ask them when they're with you personally and just have the requested info ready.

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 06:45:45 PM »
Hi all,  I wish I was on 650,000 and going on cruises then I wouldnt bloody bother with the DWP haha.

I'm hoping its just a simple check up but you never with these people.  I am on contribution based ESA since January but the letter I got is weird as it has no length of award date and its defo contribution one and I'm still on dla so far.
Maybe its because I've not had a medical for a long while.

I guess its just another stressful waiting game.

Thanks anyway. X

Monic1511

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 09:03:25 PM »
Hi pjd

The others have given you very good possible reasons for the visit, if you don't already have it I would have your passport, birth lines, bank statement easily accessible.  Its also possible that they will be checking that you are still alive after all there have been several cases recently where disabled adults were not called for a medical and then were reported missing.   I'll have a look and see if there are any recent links http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-41542875  Margaret Fleming in this case hasn't been seen for several years but the 2 people in the article received her benefits

There is a murder trial ongoing just now and they don't know when this lady died but the carers were getting her benefits until the police arrested them http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-43992892

just a different point of view
 >bighugs<
Monic