Author Topic: Computer based Claims Information  (Read 109 times)

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
Computer based Claims Information
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
I was reading an old article somewhere on the Interweb the other day about the amount of unclaimed benefits.  Now as we are all aware the Department of Workshy and Painfree is run as a "Tick Box" system, surely there could be a program written by some young coder that works out all the benefits people are entitled to.

If it were made public and you could enter your details (number of kids, disability needs etc.) then with a simple decision tree, the answer to which benefits you could claim for.  Then it is up to the claimant to request the relevant forms, wait the six months for the system to churn them up, complete them and send them back.

This would then cut out the money not claimed and the senior civil servants and the Secretaries and Under-Secretaries would have to pay for their own holidays and not use the funds they cannot get their hands on. >biggergrin<
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Computer based Claims Information
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 11:15:21 PM »
Perhaps the DWP could just make donations to Turn2us?
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:18:49 AM »
I doubt your idea would be entertained as so far as those at the top of the DWP look on it as working just as intended, that is not working to the benefit of claimants and saving the government a small fortune that they can happily use to fund tax cuts for those least in need of them.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 01:54:31 PM »
JLR - once upon a time, I'd have laughed at that as nonsense, but in recent years it's become very true.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
When I left my abusive ex with my daughter a friend loaned me the deposit for a rented flat and was guarantor for me. We lived on my student loan until the end of June which is what the loan covers. I was struggling but was informed by someone at the small jobcentre near me that I could claim JSA and be looking for work up until the end of August when I'd return to Uni to live on my student loan for the both of us so I with the help of the job centre worker filled in the forms together and I waited for some money. Only to hear that I'm officially not entitled to JSA as I was a full time student albeit in the 2 month summer break with no income and I was advised by the job centre to apply for ESA so I sat in their office and completed the forms and gathered evidence of my rapidly declining mental health that was seeming to decline at the same rate as the debt I was accruing due to no income. I waited weeks only to be told that as a full time student I wasn't entitled to ESA either, that whole debacle had taken the whole 2 month summer break and ended with 2 months of no income! The people in the jobcentre had no clue I wouldn't be entitled obviously. A year later when I was homeless for the second time I was allocated a floating support worker because someone I knew arranged it. She told me I'd been entitled to child tax credits from the time of my separation 18 months earlier as I was supporting my daughter alone for the last 18 months. No one at the jobcentre had mentioned that despite me being in tears in their office not knowing how I could feed my daughter or pay the rent top up and bills etc. The floating support worker completed that application for child tax credits, and discretionary housing payments to pay the difference in the rent from my privately rented 2 bed flat that was above the LHA and she completed applications for us both for DLA both of which were successful. No one in the job centre told me about child tax credits, knowing nothing about benefits I thought they were for working parents. They didn't tell me about DHP or anything. I dread to think where we'd be if it weren't for the floating support worker who knew what I'd be entitled to. Floating support is one of the cuts the government have made so I'm sure there are a lot of people out there under claiming. Thankfully after I completed my degree the government changed the rules allowing single parents to claim ESA if they're too unwell to work in the summer break with no Uni income, too late for me though. I was in so much debt by the time the floating support worker arrived, she helped me file for bankruptcy.

The most awful thing is the people in the jobcentre had no clue what I was entitle to, I waited weeks to get a no for JSA in my summer break, a few more weeks to get a no I'm not eligible for ESA either and not a mention of child tax credits or discretionary housing payments. It stuns me how little they know!