Author Topic: DWP - immigrant & disabled parallels incl PIP/DLA  (Read 274 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
DWP - immigrant & disabled parallels incl PIP/DLA
« on: May 09, 2018, 02:18:48 PM »
Guardian (key phrases from longer article)

Jobcentres sanctioning refugees for learning English, watchdog finds

...Families who fled war in Syria are being wrongly sanctioned by jobcentres for attending English-language courses, the chief inspector of borders and immigration has said in a report critical of the Home Office.

...David Bolt said recently arrived refugees faced “substantial barriers” to finding work and some had had welfare payments stopped while trying to learn English.

...The inspection also found jobcentre staff had not been given specific guidance or training on how to deal with refugees resettled under the VPRS, which has so far taken in more than half of the 20,000 target.

...The absence of clear guidance meant some refugees had been sanctioned while undertaking English-language tuition rather than seeking work, the report said, and others had been refused applications for personal independence payments or disability living allowance.

I'm not sure how the PIP & DLA fits in, but since both are referred to, I infer it's not the common confusion between ESA and DLA but does indeed refer to PIP & DLA.

But it's just more of this horrible system.  My bet is that a lot of the sanctions have occurred in those jobcentres where managers have set targets for number of sanctions per staff member's performance targets.

It's like when you apply for a sickness or disability benefit and worry that if you make effort to recover or to reduce the symptoms/disabling effects of your condition(s), they'll say you've got better or use  it as evidence you don't have the problem; and of course, this produces the direct opposite effect of that which appears to be intended.

It gives the lie to what the government actually wants. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: DWP - immigrant & disabled parallels incl PIP/DLA
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 04:22:32 PM »
Thanks for adding the link. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »
We have Syrian refugees in my area and they don't have to be habitually resident in the UK for 2 years before claiming dla/pip but DWP don't seem to know that and routinely refuse their claims - which are completed by the WRO & social worker.  Trying to get them to tell you how bad they really are is very difficult and they are refused at appeal stage because they hide how difficult things really are.  >dove<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:03:39 PM »
That's horrible.

I struggle to imagine what it must be like to be a refugee from a war zone and to struggle to find a country where you'll be safe that will take you, let alone to have more obstacles put in your way, but I can really relate to how they would hide how difficult things really are.  If I were in their shoes, I'd be scared of rocking the boat as it were.

I remember just after Brexit seeing a picture in various media outlets of a demo in London with a huge banner saying "Refugees go home."  I prayed my elderly friend's wife, who drove him about because he had dementia, would see the news and not drive past it.  The last thing a demented, confused old man who's not sure from one minute to the next whether he's an elderly man sitting next to his wife of several decades or whether he's a  little child needs is to think he's got to go back to Nazi Germany and wear a yellow star again.  I know I've told the story of that before, but it made me so sad.

I know there are issues to do with the number of people any country can sustain, but then if we didn't keep supporting politicians and private companies that wage war and sell armaments etc., maybe there would be fewer desperate refugees.  We all have different views on the refugee situation, but as I see it, once they're here, they're 'our' refugees, our responsibility, our neighbours.  What I think of how they get treated is not printable.