Author Topic: Low iron in blood  (Read 694 times)

Frances

• Charter Member
Re: Low iron in blood
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2018 04:59PM »
 I know this is a silly thing to say. >erm<
 But I did find by concentrating on my breathing it seemed to help me relax a bit, Which did seem to help quite a bit.
I also got the results the same day.
Oh By the way I just worked out I'd had it done 4 times in 3 years, Before my bowel perfurated Feb 2 2017, I was in Hossy until a couple of Days before Rys Birthday 10 July.   Not in a hurry to go back.
Although the Consultant was'nt expecting me to survive.
I saw her a couple of months ago and she is so pleased , She has sighned me off, Just got to see GP if needed now.
Hope all goes well for you. >hugs<
You need to give love to receive it.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2018 05:13PM »
My endoscopy was just to check out whether I might have coeliac disease.  I don't.  The symptoms were down to other things, including food intolerance.

The colonoscopy was simply part of a routine bowel screening programme.  "Hello, this is your local NHS scare-you-witless unit.  We know we've just checked your breasts but let's worry you about something else."
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2018 06:19PM »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jun 2018 07:32AM »
My daughter was told they'd ruled out Crohn's disease following her last colonoscopy and then was given drugs to try to ease her pain. She tried a few drugs none of which worked. Then her consultant gave her a regime of drugs to take at each stage of a flare up as the pain comes for a while then she's pain free for a while. This regime of drugs has worked perfectly and when the pains return they respond quickly to the drugs she then takes and so with these drugs she is kept virtually pain free and able to control any flare ups quickly. At her next appointment with the consultant he told her the drug regime that she's been taking is the Crohn's drug regime and he's 99% certain her condition is Crohn's. When she said but she'd been told she didn't have Crohn's following her colonoscopy he said that Crohn's can only be diagnosed via a colonoscopy if it's completed during a flare up and hers had been in a pain free patch. Diverticulitis can always be diagnosed during a colonoscopy but Crohn's needs to be done at the right time. Not something they told her at the time! But, we're both happy that the various drugs she now has are working and that she doesn't need to take any drugs in pain free times. Some people grow out of Crohn's and I hope she's one of them.

I hope your procedure goes smoothly ally,  literally even. If you have midazolam and either a benzodiazipine or fentnyl you won't know a thing about it. My dd had midazolam and diazepam IV. 

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jun 2018 08:42AM »
Fizz, thanks.  I just want it over.  It's the uncertainty of not knowing what's causing the anaemia that's concerning me.  I hope your daughter does grow out of the crohns.  I'm glad the drugs are working for her.   >hugs<

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2018 11:13AM »
Finally had the gastroscopy and colonoscopy yesterday.  For anyone going through the procedure, the bowel prep the day before is the worst part.  Despite reading up on the bowel prep, and, doing everything perfectly, it didn't quite work out.  I wasn't sure I'd make it to the hospital due to being glued to the loo.  Luckily, they decided to still go ahead.  There's no way I could've gone through that again.  I was like that until late last night.  Perhaps due to IBS I have a sensitive stomach? Today,I feel washed out.  I'm sorry for the above, but, it may be a help to someone having the procedure.

I was expecting bowel,polyps removed, as I was told that it  was a common procedure.  I had none.  However, they found a sliding hiatus hernia,  which surprised me.  The dr doing the tests told me that no cancer was found,  immediately after the procedure finished.  I was then wheeled  back into a ward for 20 minutes for recuperation, and given tea and biscuits.  I now have a print out of the findings, and, colour photos of my bowels

A word of warning. I'm on oxycodone, and amitryptyline.  Due to other meds I've been on in the past, I'm classed as morphine tolerant.  The sedation was fenatyl.  It had no effect on me what so ever.  I was fully awake and aware of everything ongoing.  Therefore, anyone else going though the procedure, and, are also morphine tolerant, will need  to talk about extra sedation, before the procedure.  As it was, I didn't feel much discomfort.  I'm just glad it's over.   I hope the above will help anyone who is concerned about the procedure in the future.  If this isn't appropiate for forum please remove

« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2018 11:27AM by ally »

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2018 03:06PM »
Hi Ally
Its fine for the forum, just not when your eating your tea  >lol<

I hope you recover soon and at least you know its not cancer
 >hugs<
Monic

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2018 05:14PM »
Thanks monic.  I spent some time before the GI tests looking for answers on the Internet..  I didn't really get any.  The post is for anyone going through the procedures.  I thought the sedation was useless, for anyone morphine tolerant.  That's why I posted that part for future reference. As said, I can easily delete any part that's too graphic. 

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2018 09:20PM »
The post in its entirety is absolutely fine, Ally - thanks for taking the time to share the information and  >x-fingers< that any discomfort in your nether regions has now abated...

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jul 2018 07:04AM »
Fetanyl is a pain killer ally so if that's all you were given then you be fully awake but just in less pain/discomfort than if you hadn't had it. If they add midazolam that's the one that impairs memory so at a low dose you'd still be awake and talking but won't remember it afterwards and at a higher dose mixed with Fetanyl it's a short acting general anaesthetic, which is what I had when I had steroid injections into my hip. I think I was asleep 15-20 minutes for the injections possibly less as until the midazolam wears off you don't remember anything. Nowadays they like to do colonoscopies with just fentanyl because they like patients fully awake so the patient can say ouch when the tube hits a bend and the surgeon knows to carefully negotiate the bend reducing the risk of damaging the bowel. That's what dd's consultant told us but that makes no sense to me because the camera at the end of the tube can see the bends surely? Dd insists on midazolam as well but they only give her a small dose and she remembers the whole procedure. She tells me next time she's going to ask for a bigger dose of midazolam!

I'm really pleased yours is over and done with, you sound a real stalwart. What's the plan with the sliding hiatus hernia? That doesn't sound like it would cause anaemia? I hope you regain your strength quickly.  >bighugs<  >chocolate<

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jul 2018 09:59AM »
Thank you everyone for your replies.  I know fenatyl is a pain killer.  I've been on morphine based drugs  in the past.  Due to that, and, the fact I'm on oxy mr/r and, oxy liquid for break through pain, I'm morphine  tolerant.  Therefore, what they gave me,  had no effect.  I was warned I'd feel out of it for the rest of the day before I left hospital.  I didn't feel any different what so ever.  I can remember the whole procedure, and, one part felt uncomfortable.  ive no doubt,  had I not been on the drugs before in the past, I may have  been sedated.  The hiatus hernia has given me no problems to date.  Therefore, I intend to let it  be. According to  the internet, they can bleed from time to time, and, can cause anaemia.  I'll need to see the GP about it.   

On talking to the haematologist about the rubbish diet I was on, and, the total lack of iron in it, she thought that could be the cause.    My haemoglobin is ok, it's the ferritin that's low.  She thought I didn't have a bleed due to the above.  I just hope the GP allows me to continue with the ferrous fumerate iron pills, and, leaves me alone.   I've been feeling totally stressed out for 8 weeks now.  Our family are arriving from Dubai in 3 weeks time.  I Just want to chill out,, have a peaceful stress free time, and enjoy their visit.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jul 2018 03:13PM »
Sorry ally, yet again I didn't explain myself well. I fully realised you knew fentanyl is a painkiller, I just assumed by you previous post that you thought it might make you less aware of what's happening and it doesn't do that so you're fully awake. I'm rubbish at explaining what I mean  >doh<

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jul 2018 03:43PM »
Fizz, no need to apologise at all.  I assumed I would be sedated at some point after they injected into the cannula.  However, I was far from it.  That's why I was allowed home 20 minutes after I left the theatre.  I was told that I would be out of it, and, they'd tell my husband the results.   They didn't need to, as I was fully aware of everything going on around me.  The woman in the bed next to me looked out of it.  One thing for sure, if I need sedating any time in the future, I'd need to talk to them beforehand.  As already said, you've nothing to apologise for.  Thanks for being supportive  >hugs<