Author Topic: DVLA tax exemption on website  (Read 174 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
DVLA tax exemption on website
« on: June 09, 2018, 04:08:36 PM »
Does anyone know if this is still the case or has it changed? 

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/2830-dvla-lets-visitors-check-on-neighbours-benefits

SashaQ

• Charter Member
Re: DVLA tax exemption on website
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 07:03:46 PM »
Here's the website https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

I checked my car, and found that it says 'Tax not due' if the tax is up to date, and to get more detail on the tax class you need the car's logbook.

I hope that helps

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »
Thank you for your answer Sasha  >hugs<

I did a fair amount of research trying to find out the answer to this and found disability groups said that a year after the article I put in my opening post here that the government were still refusing to back down saying that revealing a car is a motability car thereby revealing that the neighbour/friend/enemy/relative must be on the highest mobility benefit rate wasn't a breach of confidentiality.

I'm unsure of the date when the government finally changed its mind so you now need details from the vehicle's log book to see that one piece of information but thankfully it has happened. I expect it was a while ago but with the new data protection laws that came into being last month that would have forced the change because revealing that information is definitely a data breach. How the government could ever think it wasn't is beyond me! I know a car nearby is a motability car so checked that number plate and checked that online and as you say nothing about the owners benefit status is shown, just that the vehicle is up to date with tax and MOT which is an okay thing for the public to know.

Thanks Sasha  >star<

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:37:07 PM »
My pleasure >hugs<

Thanks for highlighting that - it was a breach of data protection indeed to give away such information just from a number plate so it is reassuring to me as well that the information that is publicly available is okay now...

I'm unsure of the date it changed, too, but certainly GDPR would have made the government think!

Big Muff

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 08:31:39 PM »
well until recently all they had to do was look at the tax disc which was a sight easier than logging onto dvla website so perhaps linked to that.