Author Topic: My experience yesterday of disability discrimination by RAC car insurance  (Read 981 times)

JLR2

Kizzy, it crosses my mind that if the RAC's online system can suffer glitches, such as the one they say happened to me in my online quote process, how would someone completing the DWP's online claims forms cope? 

For one thing a claimant wouldn't be able to prove what questions or how they had answered. Even if a claimant was to have gone through the entire online claims system only for it to be found by the system that an answer had, due to a glitch, been deleted or removed the claimant might find themselves right back at the beginning having to complete the whole process again.

If this scenario was being played out using a library computer a claimant could find themselves being pressured/encouraged by library staff to stop their claim and allow others who might be waiting to access the computer to make their own online claim.

It could even have an impact on claimants with their own home computer in so far as whilst they might be free from the pressures of others waiting to access library public use computers they may also face having to repeatedly complete an online claim form and though that may seem no more than an inconvenience the prospect of trying to repeat word for word their previous answers knowing that the DWP may have the original inputted responses to these questions and are likely to compare a claimant's second form completion against the first could I think see the claimant even more nervous as they try to complete the online form system.

Fiz

• Charter Member
 >thumbsup< I'm really pleased you got results JLR2 and a good one. It's a shame you had to fight so hard for it.

I agree that there are potentially awful problems ahead with online UC claims. When I was in hospital, I'm unsure which admission, I needed to do something online and discovered there was a computer in the art room with Internet access so I was allowed to use that. I sat there for over 5 minutes totally unable to work out how to turn it on! I had to get a member of staff to do it for me and I had no clue how to use any punctuation symbols because I had no clue how to get to upper case let alone what keys to press to get to the symbols. I dread the day!

I also had a fight with Asda which I felt I was getting nowhere with. I returned all the substitutes they'd sent me during an online delivery which was over 30 and I'd had no refund. I made a few phone calls to their customer service centre, the first two call handlers told me the refund was still in progress and would reach my account shortly. I accepted that but found it strange because refunds are normally in my account within 48 hours. Then they kept telling me that I had been refunded in full and when I said that I hadn't the final call handler was rude and basically called me a liar.

To me that's not a small amount of money so tempting as it was to just drop it and count the money as lost I finally decided to Google how to contact people higher up the food chain (no pun intended) and stumbled across the CEO's email address and I emailed him. His assistant then investigated. It wasn't a quick process but he discovered that the delivery driver had processed the refund into his hand held device but there'd been a glitz and it failed to transfer/communicate that refund to Asda's computerised system so my refund was never processed. I have no idea why customer services couldn't have discovered that rather than me having to contact the CEO but I then received my refund and a 10 evoucher which I actually felt was paltry considering the stress it caused me.

But I think your fight was much harder and I hope it didn't leave you feeling as drained as my fight caused me. Well done, you did well.

JLR2

''I have no idea why customer services couldn't have discovered that rather than me having to contact the CEO''

Fiz, I believe it was because you contacted the CEO's office the refund was processed given what you were saying there, ''Then they kept telling me that I had been refunded in full...''  If there had been a genuine computer 'glitch'  no refund would have been made until the issue was investigated as it was following your contacting the CEO. The customer services folk simply hoped you would go away having given up on ever getting your money back.

When Asda realised that you were not going to let them, for want of a better way of putting it, bully you they decided it would be a whole lot easier just to do the right thing and refund your money.

I feel what we have both experienced is a new tactic by some companies, the new tactic being for them to excuse things through their blaming computer glitches. Makes me wonder how many others have experienced these alleged 'computer glitches'?  I think the nearest excuse I can find to this where the DWP is concerned comes in the form of their denying receipt of mail or post from benefit claimants or where they claim to have lost a claimant's paperwork, often asking the claimant involved to complete a second copy of the alleged lost form. Funny isn't it, my bills never seem to get lost in the post >erm<

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Its the easiest thing to blame the computer, it is not going to answer back. In fact it's more likely to be an operator error, lack of training, or poor program design not covering sufficient scenarios.

Still, I am awaiting the time when someone complains and the automated AI system replies "its a stupid human error".

Fiz

• Charter Member
 >biggergrin<

lankou

• Charter Member
In disputes with companies it may help to email  the CEO, (VERY useful website.)

https://www.ceoemail.com