Forum > Disability Talk

Paultons Park

(1/4) > >>

Fiz:
I was looking at the Paultons Park website with regard to season tickets and it says "we do not discriminate between disabled visitors and other guests so we do not offer discounts for either wheelchair user guests or carers" their reasoning being the paths are flat throughout the park and most rides are accessible for wheelchair users. What if a disabled guest need changing a couple of times by a carer, has to be Peg fed and calmed when anxious and that means carer enters at full cost?!

I can't believe this park can be considered disability friendly. Are they legal in their provision or lack of provision? How can a carer who's sole purpose is to wheel someone around a large park, help their employer on and off rides, change them when necessary, peg  feed and suction the trachea when necessary be charged  the full entrance fee?

Shame on you Paultons Park.

ally:
Chester zoo is very good for disabled. Carers go free, and, can hire their free mobility scooters.  I love animals, and, after watching the zoo on Tv i had to go.  That was nowhere that I couldn't access with the scooter.  I even drove through the bats cave, where the bats fly freely around.   Alnwick gardens, the castle was used for the Harry Potter films,  is the same. We have a yearly pass.  It also gives us discounts in their cafe, and, local garden centres.

Dubai magic gardens, and, the global village are all very disabled friendly.  The carer goes free, as does Children  under a certain age.   Therefore, if the above, and countries like Dubai can do it, why can't Paultons Park?  i don't get the logic about their paths being flat, and, most rides are wheelchair assessable.  The above all have wheelchair/scooter assessable paths, and  Dubai global village has rides.  None of them charge for the carer , so, why can't they do the same?   I think I'd give Paultons park a big miss

SashaQ:
That isn't good indeed - twisted logic to say that they don't discriminate against non-disabled people by making disabled people who need assistance to experience the whole site pay double... 

Good example, Ally - Chester Zoo is very good, with different height windows and good paths, but it is massive, so I'm grateful for the opportunity to bring someone with me to help me to enjoy more than a mere fraction of what they offer if I had to push myself up hill and down dale...

Sunny Clouds:
That's not the full Paultons Park picture, though, is it?

They offer manual wheelchairs for hire free of charge but to use them you have to be able to walk from the car park to the hire centre.  People that can do that get no discount.

People who are dependent on a wheelchair or scooter and arrive in one get free entry.  All but a few attractions are accessible to wheelchair/scooter users, so it seems reasonable to me that they should pay to use the attraction.  Thus if they have a carer, it's still two for one as if the wheelchair-dependent customer paid and the carer came free.  I'd venture to suggest that doing it that way saves Paulton's Park a lot of arguments over whether someone does or doesn't need a carer.

I wonder how many non-wheelchair-dependent disabled customers actually need a carer as opposed to simply a friend or companion also enjoying the rides?  To use the examples of someone needing someone to help them on and off rides, to change them etc., if they can walk from the car park to hire a wheelchair, it wouldn't seem an exteme notion that they can also do things like getting on and off rides, getting changed etc. without a caregiver.

I'd argue that if someone needed a companion but was not wheelchair-dependent and therefore not entitled to free entry, then the logical thing would be to charge them child rate on the basis that children, who also need supervision and assistance, don't get in for free unless wheelchair-dependent.

Incidentally, if I were running an attraction like that, I'd be very suspicious of anyone who turned up and claimed to be wheelchair dependent and therefore entitled to the free entry for wheelchair dependent customers without their own wheelchair or scooter, and able to walk from the car park to the hire shop. 

So it may be that there are a few people out there that somehow don't fit the box here, but overall it does seem to be a realistic approach to who should or shouldn't get free entry.

SashaQ:
Thanks for checking the details Sunny - that is better for wheelchair users with their own wheelchair, that if they are on their own and can't do everything, it doesn't matter as it is them that gets in free. 

I was once disappointed when I went to an attraction by myself, that I had to pay full price because the only discount was for a 'carer', and then could only see half of the attraction because I didn't have a 'carer' to help me get to the other half...  I've also been to places where there has been no discount at all, but only half was accessible even with a 'carer', so it is still all very mixed.

A more positive picture for Paultons, though, yes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version