Author Topic: Paultons Park  (Read 846 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Paultons Park
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »
I was looking at the Paultons Park website with regard to season tickets and it says "we do not discriminate between disabled visitors and other guests so we do not offer discounts for either wheelchair user guests or carers" their reasoning being the paths are flat throughout the park and most rides are accessible for wheelchair users. What if a disabled guest need changing a couple of times by a carer, has to be Peg fed and calmed when anxious and that means carer enters at full cost?!

I can't believe this park can be considered disability friendly. Are they legal in their provision or lack of provision? How can a carer who's sole purpose is to wheel someone around a large park, help their employer on and off rides, change them when necessary, peg  feed and suction the trachea when necessary be charged  the full entrance fee?

Shame on you Paultons Park.

ally

• Diamond member
Re: Paultons Park
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 06:58:47 PM »
Chester zoo is very good for disabled. Carers go free, and, can hire their free mobility scooters.  I love animals, and, after watching the zoo on Tv i had to go.  That was nowhere that I couldn't access with the scooter.  I even drove through the bats cave, where the bats fly freely around.   Alnwick gardens, the castle was used for the Harry Potter films,  is the same. We have a yearly pass.  It also gives us discounts in their cafe, and, local garden centres.

Dubai magic gardens, and, the global village are all very disabled friendly.  The carer goes free, as does Children  under a certain age.   Therefore, if the above, and countries like Dubai can do it, why can't Paultons Park?  i don't get the logic about their paths being flat, and, most rides are wheelchair assessable.  The above all have wheelchair/scooter assessable paths, and  Dubai global village has rides.  None of them charge for the carer , so, why can't they do the same?   I think I'd give Paultons park a big miss

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 07:17:18 PM »
That isn't good indeed - twisted logic to say that they don't discriminate against non-disabled people by making disabled people who need assistance to experience the whole site pay double... 

Good example, Ally - Chester Zoo is very good, with different height windows and good paths, but it is massive, so I'm grateful for the opportunity to bring someone with me to help me to enjoy more than a mere fraction of what they offer if I had to push myself up hill and down dale...

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
That's not the full Paultons Park picture, though, is it?

They offer manual wheelchairs for hire free of charge but to use them you have to be able to walk from the car park to the hire centre.  People that can do that get no discount.

People who are dependent on a wheelchair or scooter and arrive in one get free entry.  All but a few attractions are accessible to wheelchair/scooter users, so it seems reasonable to me that they should pay to use the attraction.  Thus if they have a carer, it's still two for one as if the wheelchair-dependent customer paid and the carer came free.  I'd venture to suggest that doing it that way saves Paulton's Park a lot of arguments over whether someone does or doesn't need a carer.

I wonder how many non-wheelchair-dependent disabled customers actually need a carer as opposed to simply a friend or companion also enjoying the rides?  To use the examples of someone needing someone to help them on and off rides, to change them etc., if they can walk from the car park to hire a wheelchair, it wouldn't seem an exteme notion that they can also do things like getting on and off rides, getting changed etc. without a caregiver.

I'd argue that if someone needed a companion but was not wheelchair-dependent and therefore not entitled to free entry, then the logical thing would be to charge them child rate on the basis that children, who also need supervision and assistance, don't get in for free unless wheelchair-dependent.

Incidentally, if I were running an attraction like that, I'd be very suspicious of anyone who turned up and claimed to be wheelchair dependent and therefore entitled to the free entry for wheelchair dependent customers without their own wheelchair or scooter, and able to walk from the car park to the hire shop. 

So it may be that there are a few people out there that somehow don't fit the box here, but overall it does seem to be a realistic approach to who should or shouldn't get free entry.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »
Thanks for checking the details Sunny - that is better for wheelchair users with their own wheelchair, that if they are on their own and can't do everything, it doesn't matter as it is them that gets in free. 

I was once disappointed when I went to an attraction by myself, that I had to pay full price because the only discount was for a 'carer', and then could only see half of the attraction because I didn't have a 'carer' to help me get to the other half...  I've also been to places where there has been no discount at all, but only half was accessible even with a 'carer', so it is still all very mixed.

A more positive picture for Paultons, though, yes

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:32:20 PM »
It's not accessible for me to visit. I can't walk far at all. I'd get from the car through the entrance ticket place and that would be me done! I haven't been here for a couple of decades now. My grandaughter went a couple of weeks ago.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 09:56:45 PM »
In all seriousness, if you can't walk that far, i.e. beyond the ticket office to hire a wheelchair, how come you don't have your own wheelchair?  How do you travel anywhere else?

Obviously, you don't have to tell me, but I can understand that if you were to argue the toss with Paulton's they might say that it sounds rather implausible that someone that can only walk such a short distance and can only do so with difficulty wouldn't have a wheelchair.  Not impossible but very unlikely.  I should imagine they'd wonder (as I would) how it is that if you can't walk that extra distance from the ticket office to the wheelchair hire, you manage to get through buildings you'd need to access.

You must admit that it's rather unusual for someone with such very limited mobility not to have their own wheelchair, even if it's just the most basic model they can get with the standard wheelchair voucher they'd be entitled to with so little ability to walk, or a privately purchased one.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

bub1

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 10:30:40 PM »
Thatís a bit uncalled for sunny.
I know where Fiz is coming from I have difficulty walking distances even short ones and I donít have a wheelchair I do have crutches that help me stay upright but have difficulty with them because of pain in spine and arm.
So it really doesnít matter whether you have a wheelchair or not to get from a to b these places should accommodate every eventuality

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »
I think they go a long way towards accommodating eventualities.   They have ensured that almost all their rides are accessible to wheelchair users so there is no need for a wheelchair user to have a second rate experience.  They offer free entry to those with their own wheelchairs and also provide free wheelchair hire.

What is at issue here is whether they should provide free entry to those that use a wheelchair but do not arrive in one.  One could argue that they should accept something like evidence of higher rate DLA or enhanced rate PIP mobiity to provide for free access, but then I should have thought it unlikely that anyone able to walk from the car park to the wheelchair hire facility would be eligible for higher/enhanced rate mobility.

That being so, I struggle to see on what basis one would expect them to provide free entry to people who are capable of walking from the car park to the hire facility, bearing in mind that such people would be able to sit down on the rides and then walk from ride to ride.

I have already addressed the issue of supervision and expressed the opinion that the appropriate adjustment there would be for the child rate to be charged for the person requiring supervision.  Having regard to what Fiz has told us elsethread, I assume she would need very close supervision for her safety and that of others but also that she would not wish to tell Paultons that any more than she'd be willing to forewarn flight staff responsible for passenger safety.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:18:04 AM »
Sunny, I am really picking up some antagonism from you towards me and have done from the last few days. I'll briefly answer but then will take some days off the board as I'm feeling fragile.

My issue with walking isn't mechanical, I have the physical ability to do it. My problem is pain which increases every few steps until the pain reaches a level that I'm not able to manage the pain any longer and am unable to walk further. I wouldn't go on any rides if there was any chance of being jolted as that causes excruciating neuropathic pain although that pain is temporary it's enough to put me off doing something that might cause it It must be 20 years since I went to Paultons and I can't see a situation where I would visit there unless it was to watch my grandchildren enjoy the park and rides. They've been there recently.

Why don't I have a wheelchair? Lifting my shopping causes me pain despite spreading my shopping thinly between lots of bags. I can't imagine that I'd be able to lift a wheelchair at any time. I wouldn't physically be able to propel a manual wheelchair myself if I were in it, I'm not light.

I'm trying to think what else you said, suggested or asked me. Oh, the danger I would cause others? I'm unsure what made you think that, I have never ever been a danger to anyone else. If you're referring to my PTSD reactions to anger around me or men in close proximity where I feel I cannot escape, get away etc which causes an immense panic reaction, I then sob. Loudly and continuously for hours. I'm unable to stop myself or calm myself. It's a reaction to the massive panic I feel when triggered by past memories. The Consultant Psychiatrist said this is a classic example of a reaction to a PTSD trigger. I can't see how that could possibly be a danger to anyone else.

Now I feel I have defended myself I will go and try and calm myself.

bub1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 09:03:38 AM »
No one should have to defend themselves on here. Everyone has different levels of disabilities some seen some not seen.
Therefore it should not be judged.
I donít have a wheelchair nor could I propel one if I did have one.
I only go out if someone takes me. Mainly hospital appointments or out with my son which is not very often.
So please do not judge as I said some things canít be judged. Unless you are in a position like the person posting you would not know.
Keep posting Fiz and coming on here.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »
Thanks, Bub, for some very common sense words there about making judgements.

I hope both Fiz and Sunny continue posting here, but sometimes people do need to take a short break and that's OK.  There's bound to be disagreements at times especially if both parties are under any kind of other stress.  The members here are, after all, only human like everywhere else - and mostly I see kindness and empathy on Ouch Too. 

>bighugs< for anyone hurting right now

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 04:57:39 PM »
Oh dear, did that sound rather soppy from me?  It's cos I care, don'tcha know  ;-)

...and going back to this Paulton's Park, I can imagine it must be very difficult (for anyone running an entertainment facility) to get it totally right when trying to accommodate various levels of mobility impairment.  There's bound to be someone who's going to feel cheated in some way - but certainly there should be some sort of discount for a carer, I feel.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 09:02:50 PM »
I hope all of you keep posting your questions and suggestions.

I know many people who can't mobilise more than 20 meters but who would not be suitable for a wheelchair but if you look at Sunny Clouds profile there is this footer on the posts "(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)"   The written word is often open to miss interpretation, mainly because our underlying moods influence how we interpret everything around us.   

Fiz I think you are feeling vulnerable due to your current situation and Sunny Clouds maybe your obsessive problem solving is running free today.   I hope that both of you are able to forgiven and move on as we all need input from various perspectives.

I might be wrong (probably) but without diferent views and perspectives this would be a very boring place.
 >dove<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 09:43:47 AM »
Thank you monic. I do agree that very often sunny comes up with lots of suggestions as to how needs can be met which is problem solving and is something I've found lovely and never found it annoying in the slightest. However sunny's posts to me for a couple of days have not had a hint of problem solving, she's questioned why I don't have a wheelchair when I can't walk further than a certain distance and I've explained many times on this forum my problem is pain not mechanical. It's true I've probably not explained my reaction to PTSD triggers, possibly because when they happen I am incredibly embarrassed by my total inability to stop sobbing and calm myself down. And because I avoid all triggers thankfully it's not a regular occurrence, the last time being in December when I was last detained, there has always been aggressive behaviour on the acute ward and that's a high risk of triggers environment for me.

Sunny said "then I should have thought it unlikely that anyone unable to walk from the car to the wheelchair facility would be eligible for enhanced PIP" That's not in any way problem solving, that's questioning my eligibility for a benefit. And in doing so must either assume that I've not been honest on the form or at the assessment, my medical evidence is incorrect and made up and that the assessor has been hoodwinked in some way. Pain is taken into account as is mobility as are mobility movements you can and can't do, as is the after effects of any activity.

Sunny said "Having regard to what Fiz has told us elsethread and I assume she would need very close supervision for her safety and that of others but also that she would not wish to tell Paultons that anymore than she'd be willing to forewarn flight staff responsible for passenger safety" There's absolutely no problem solving here either. She's made judgements about my decision about whether or not my PTSD reactions are in any way a risk to others and assumed that I would do something that would put anyone else at risk. I'm not that person.

I just feel that sunny has been judgemental towards me and criticised me and it did really upset me.

I will be okay though, I will be back but I just need some time right now for my wellbeing so I may not be posting for a day or week or however long it takes.

As far as this disagreement goes as far as I'm concerned what's done is done and I'm wanting to move forward and I want to also acknowledge that sunny very often goes out of her way to help people find solutions and that is very helpful here on ouchtoo which is a great forum.