Author Topic: IS it worth going to an appeal?  (Read 512 times)

Monic1511

IS it worth going to an appeal?
« on: 21 Jun 2018 09:23PM »
I'm often asked if its worth going to appeal but this is the official stats

First PIP
Social security appeals disposed of at a tribunal go in favour of claimants in 66 per cent of cases
New Ministry of Justice statistics also highlight that the overturn rate for personal independence payment appeals has increased by seven percentage points to 71 per cent since last year
Social security appeals disposed of by a tribunal go in favour of the claimant in 66 per cent of cases, according to new Ministry of Justice statistics.
The new figures, that cover the period January to March 2018, highlight that, of the 54,100 appeal disposals in the period, 82 per cent were cleared at a hearing and, of these, 66 per cent had the initial decision revised in favour of the claimant (up from 64 per cent in the same period in 2017).

AND ESA
More than 60 per cent of ESA ‘fit for work’ decisions overturned at appeal
DWP publishes new national statistics
More than 60 per cent of employment and support allowance (ESA) 'fit for work' decisions are being overturned at appeal, according to new DWP statistics.
The new figures - that cover work capability assessments, mandatory reconsiderations and appeals - highlight that, whilst being found 'fit for work' at assessment is the primary reason for claimants disputing a decision and also the main reason for appeal hearings, the total number of appeals heard against such decisions is very low, dropping from 2,800 to 1,800 in the quarter to March 2017. The DWP suggests that -
'The low numbers of appeals over recent quarters may be partly due to the introduction of the mandatory reconsideration process, although there could be other factors which have also contributed.'
Nevertheless, of those cases that do proceed to appeal, the new figures indicate that more than 60 per cent are overturned -
'This quarter, the proportion of decisions under dispute that were upheld at appeal has increased slightly to 39 per cent, after staying stable at 38 per cent over the previous 3 quarters.'
For more information see ESA: outcomes of work capability assessments including mandatory reconsiderations and appeals: June 2018 from gov.uk

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
Re: IS it worth going to an appeal?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2018 05:10PM »
These levels of success of appeal have one thing missing, the number of cases that don't get appealed.  Are these un-appealed cases the 0.7% of fraud that the DWP keep saying that they have?

However, the number of appealed cases that get overturned show that there is a level of incompetence within the DWP, possibly fueled by their ignorance of medical conditions.
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Monic1511

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2018 10:10PM »
I know the level of folk found fit stats are missing from this post and that puts a different spin on things BUT its hard to get folk to lodge appeals.  Too many don't bother - partly due to health and mainly due to not knowing how to do it.

If you go to Gov.uk you'll be able to find the stats on number of those found fit

Monic1511

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2018 09:23PM »
Thank you Lankou
for providing the links
I was just too lazy to do that  >tah< >thumbsup<